DIY 50 site aero cloner for under $100.00

In action.

rooty.JPG

rooty2.JPG

I built one of these, and haven't used it AT ALL. Just been cloning in rockwool cubes in a little planter tray. Maybe I'll bring the tub thingy into the clone cabinet and give it a shot.

Read this a while back and just got around to building me one! Thanks 420fied.Have read a couple of the other journals you have made and have been inspired to try my first SOG. Am gonna journal it so I can get some help and tips from the helpful people on this site. Thanks again if your out there 420.

100_13566.JPG

100_13578.JPG

100_13602.JPG

100_13623.JPG

100_13646.JPG

is this straight water..trying to tweak this aero cloner before i clip my mother and want to make it work the first time

I put Clonex root solution, RO water, and a little super thrive in mine and have it on a 24/0 light schedule under one 32 watt 6500k floro (probly need to raise a hair). Put one test clone in today (6/5/12) and will post pics as soon as i see some roots. Good luck on your clones walshy.... I am hoping to get it dialed in to where I see roots in 3-5 days.

100_13855.JPG

I put Clonex root solution, RO water, and a little super thrive in mine and have it on a 24/0 light schedule under one 32 watt 6500k floro (probly need to raise a hair). Put one test clone in today (6/5/12) and will post pics as soon as i see some roots. Good luck on your clones walshy.... I am hoping to get it dialed in to where I see roots in 3-5 days.

100_13855.JPG

Where did you get your colored pucks ?

After much stress regarding cloning, I believe temps were always my main obstacle, but I didn't realize it. I rigged a cheap pin-type timer to run in 50 second segments, rather than 15min(deceptively easy to do, guides out there). This allowed me to set my cloner like I had a cycle timer, but for like $5. I now do 1 pin on/4 off, or 50sec on/~3min off. That has helped my water temp drop, as the pump is running much less. I've added an airstone, and I cut a 1x2 humidity dome in half to make a cover for my 1x1' (25 site) botanicare cloner. I am much happier with the results now, as many of my clones were going limp and rotting underneath, and I couldn't tell why. The water felt cool to the touch, but tested over 80°f. I'm not as worried about Ph, as I'm using plain water to clone, but I try to keep it under 7. Check online for cheap ph/tds/temp meters - the info is invaluable, and you can find each separately(not 3in1) for like $15 or less online if you're not ready to drop 200 on one good meter. I clip half my leaves and put a dome over my clones. The bigger the leaves, the more they "transpire", or sweat/breathe out moisture. By clipping half the leaf, I reduce the moisture they loose, while reducing the amount or photosynthesis going on(not needed for rooting, you want the plant to grow roots, not nodes/leaves). The dome further reduces moisture loss thru the leaves. Remember that any aero/hydro setup will give you great results if all conditions are ideal, but if you let the conditions go just a bit out of whack, it can all go to hell fast - there's no soil to buffer the changes the plant goes thru, so you need the water to be perfect!

thanks alot kimmy..decided to use some of olivias cloning solution in the cloner..got a gallon free wen iordered a ton of rockwool cubes..will keep an update on the results

Hey Kimmy looks great....where did you get the colored neoprene plugs ?? That would help me keep track of different strains.

After much stress regarding cloning, I believe temps were always my main obstacle, but I didn't realize it. I rigged a cheap pin-type timer to run in 50 second segments, rather than 15min(deceptively easy to do, guides out there). This allowed me to set my cloner like I had a cycle timer, but for like $5. I now do 1 pin on/4 off, or 50sec on/~3min off. That has helped my water temp drop, as the pump is running much less. I've added an airstone, and I cut a 1x2 humidity dome in half to make a cover for my 1x1' (25 site) botanicare cloner. I am much happier with the results now, as many of my clones were going limp and rotting underneath, and I couldn't tell why. The water felt cool to the touch, but tested over 80°f. I'm not as worried about Ph, as I'm using plain water to clone, but I try to keep it under 7. Check online for cheap ph/tds/temp meters - the info is invaluable, and you can find each separately(not 3in1) for like $15 or less online if you're not ready to drop 200 on one good meter. I clip half my leaves and put a dome over my clones. The bigger the leaves, the more they "transpire", or sweat/breathe out moisture. By clipping half the leaf, I reduce the moisture they loose, while reducing the amount or photosynthesis going on(not needed for rooting, you want the plant to grow roots, not nodes/leaves). The dome further reduces moisture loss thru the leaves. Remember that any aero/hydro setup will give you great results if all conditions are ideal, but if you let the conditions go just a bit out of whack, it can all go to hell fast - there's no soil to buffer the changes the plant goes thru, so you need the water to be perfect!

Can you point me in a direction for this pin type timer you speak off?

Thetablesturn

Can you point me in a direction for this pin type timer you speak off?

Thetablesturn
Replace the xx's with tt's and there is the link.
hxxp://forum.growkind.com/showthread.php?t=41978

This is an excellent thread.

Back
Top Bottom