DIY-Become a DIY home grower Electrical Engineers

Thanks Hogdady! That's encouraging. And btw Excellent grows man! I have looked thru some of your journals and they among others have contributed to my knowledge and so far my first grow. Thanks again.

That's the beauty of this forum....we learn, we share and we all benefit!

Thx for the kind words...:)

What is the difference between a mono-phase electric circuit and a tri-phase electric circuit and what are the implications of using each in a grow op?

I have the choice of either installing a 60Amp electric meter or a 15Amp tri phase meter, which one would be safer / more convenient?

Thanks in advance kind fellows :)
3 phase is just that, gives you 3 phases of 1 leg of power, cross 2 legs and you get 240. 3 phase has 3 hot wires, one neutral, and a ground. Single phase has 2 hot wires, one neutral and a ground

You guys must live in the first half of the 21st century? I'm livin' 1950's style with pull out mains and screw-in fuses.

Shucks,I guess this means I'll have to take the constant seepage in the basement into consideration as I wire up the old metal locker I was going to use? ;)

You guys must live in the first half of the 21st century? I'm livin' 1950's style with pull out mains and screw-in fuses.

Shucks,I guess this means I'll have to take the constant seepage in the basement into consideration as I wire up the old metal locker I was going to use? ;)

Lookin for a beneficiary? :)

The wife has already called dibs.

My ol' man was an electrician. I stay well away from the juice,too many horror stories when I was a kid.

This is a video of an arc flash explosion at a refinery. Numerous mistakes made in this procedure, which he most likely paid for with his life.

YouTube - CHARLES RANDALL - " ArcFlash at ExxonMobil "

I posted this for all to witness the potential energy associated with electricity.

Sheesh! At least he went quick and never knew what hit him.

Dad worked as lineman when he was young. He's 82 and still has a full head of curly hair except for a half dollar sized bald spot on top and is missing a right big toenail. He was working old style back in the early 50's in a felt hat and he brushed a live wire while checking another line on a pole

The Doc at the hospital said the impact of the fall probably restarted his heart because he should have been dead.

Hi everyone! Hats off to starting this thread. It has has already solved one of the questions that I had, but I just want to make sure I understand correctly to avoid any possible electrical problems. I rent and will be setting up a grow tent in my detached garage and ultimately I would like to have 2 of the same setups within that area one for veg and one for flowering. Just want to get feed back to see if this is too much wattage for my outlets. I think its ok but I don't want to take any chances of damage.

So here it is...2 grow tents (5x5x6.5) each containing...1 400W LED's, 1 8000 btu portable A/C that uses 900W, 2 maybe 3 small fans per tent. I have 2 220v outlets inside the garage and 1 220v outside attached to the house. So my first question is with all these gadgets will I be ok plugging in a power strip using GFCI Safety Cords, Plug and Plug-In Adaptor - Lab Safety Supply to ensure the safety of my surroundings?

Finally, does anyone recommend a good automated controller or fuzzy logic system to work for lights, temp, humidity etc. that is fairly simple for a novice? I would really like a controller that will allow me to expand by adding CO2 as well.

I am just starting out and learning as I go. Hope I made sense of everything! If I didn't, I'm sure you'll put me in my place lol...Thank you in advance and I appreciate all the time and energy you put into making :420: amazing!! It's my new home...

To all you peace lovers, :Namaste:

Just want to get feed back to see if this is too much wattage for my outlets. I think its ok but I don't want to take any chances of damage.

Just a note, my apts were built within the last couple years and I know they are very particular about safety, so I know all the electrical wiring is up to code and then some. After looking I'm sure my wattage will be fine within those outlets. The most use will be the lights, and a fan going 24/7. The a/c probably won't run a whole lot because of the small space. Not too sure of the CO2 yet as I need to google that further. As of now, I will probably just use a diy CO2 that I saw on this forum since my space is small. If I'm wrong please correct me. I'm most curious about the GFCI plug and advice on an automated controller (mainly one for lights and temps).

Thanks again,

RV

This is a video of an arc flash explosion at a refinery. Numerous mistakes made in this procedure, which he most likely paid for with his life.

YouTube - CHARLES RANDALL - " ArcFlash at ExxonMobil "

I posted this for all to witness the potential energy associated with electricity.

That's what happens when you crank in the bucket in a 1000 amp motor control center with the hot wires hanging over the ground bus. I happened to end up doing a service call on the tail end of something exactly like this, the engineer walked out to get a new breaker and the helper decided that the bucket should be back inside the box. Bad idea!!!

Hi everyone! Hats off to starting this thread. It has has already solved one of the questions that I had, but I just want to make sure I understand correctly to avoid any possible electrical problems. I rent and will be setting up a grow tent in my detached garage and ultimately I would like to have 2 of the same setups within that area one for veg and one for flowering. Just want to get feed back to see if this is too much wattage for my outlets. I think its ok but I don't want to take any chances of damage.

So here it is...2 grow tents (5x5x6.5) each containing...1 400W LED's, 1 8000 btu portable A/C that uses 900W, 2 maybe 3 small fans per tent. I have 2 220v outlets inside the garage and 1 220v outside attached to the house. So my first question is with all these gadgets will I be ok plugging in a power strip using GFCI Safety Cords, Plug and Plug-In Adaptor - Lab Safety Supply to ensure the safety of my surroundings?

Finally, does anyone recommend a good automated controller or fuzzy logic system to work for lights, temp, humidity etc. that is fairly simple for a novice? I would really like a controller that will allow me to expand by adding CO2 as well.

I am just starting out and learning as I go. Hope I made sense of everything! If I didn't, I'm sure you'll put me in my place lol...Thank you in advance and I appreciate all the time and energy you put into making :420: amazing!! It's my new home...

To all you peace lovers, :Namaste:

What size breakers are used for the garage?

All three are 15 and the one outside is already grounded. One breaker in the garage runs only the garage door. The other outlet in the garage is connected to my computer setup. The outside outlet shares my heater/fan. Just a note, my A/C is has it's own breaker so I don't have to fight my power with that.

Sounds like you enough avaiable power...you should consider changing the breakers to GFCI....

Thank you Hogdady, I appreciate the advice. Sounds good and it looks like it will be cheaper than the GFCI plug too. :yahoo: :thanks:

Myzz, all I am saying is that it is easier to replace a breaker and know the whole circuit is protected than to look at sheet rock walls and try to figure out which one is the first one in a circuit. There are some tricks that I would use to figure it out, but I am having trouble trying to word them. The breaker would be the easier way to insure the whole circuit is protected from ground fault. A breaker switch-out is very easy, but also a bit dangerous if you are not sure what you are doing. It would be good to have someone looking over your shoulder that knows what it what.

That portable thing that diesel farmer posted was probably the best thing for a renter with a small grow and they are only $44, and you can take them with you when you move. You can use them if you are outside using electrical equipment. A good product.

I know this is an old thread and I hope some sees this, I just found out about this GFIC stuff, I have a tent to put up and I'm going to do a soil grow, with a soil grow I should still install this just in case of a spill or what not? if so I have a question, why do you say replacing a breaker can be dangerous? doesn't it just pull out and the new one pops in? all you have to do is shut down the main double breakers right? then there is not power to the box, is that correct, if so I may do the breaker, that cord adapter is nice, but for 10 bucks more I can protect the whole room by replacing the breaker. one other thing, the bathroom just before the room I'll have the tent in has one of those receptacles, but I'm guessing the room I'm in isn't protected because its on a separate circuit...thanks for any help

I know this is an old thread and I hope some sees this, I just found out about this GFIC stuff, I have a tent to put up and I'm going to do a soil grow, with a soil grow I should still install this just in case of a spill or what not? if so I have a question, why do you say replacing a breaker can be dangerous? doesn't it just pull out and the new one pops in? all you have to do is shut down the main double breakers right? then there is not power to the box, is that correct, if so I may do the breaker, that cord adapter is nice, but for 10 bucks more I can protect the whole room by replacing the breaker. one other thing, the bathroom just before the room I'll have the tent in has one of those receptacles, but I'm guessing the room I'm in isn't protected because its on a separate circuit...thanks for any help

The danger would be associated with doing it live. If you can kill the panel, it's a very easy process.

Probably a Good Idea to at least get a picture of how a generic circuit breaker panel is supposed to be wired so that you can compare it for "glaring errors" since one can be wired incorrectly and still... work (IOW, a given box might be wired dangerously and the user might not realize it by simply using electricity in the building).

Shutting off the main breaker in the panel does not shut the voltage off to the lugs the main line coming in is connected to. It does shut off power to the buss bar that the breakers connect to. So in another words you still have to be safe working in the panel, if you slip with something and touch those lugs,,,,well they could be engraving your head stone with the nick name sparky.

Outlet question.....I hate Electric shocks, long story, so anyway my girl hooked up an new outlet in the bedroom, but the wires are to long to get the thing back inside the electric box, I tried pushing it back in, and got the shit knocked out of me, I though all I touched was the ground wire...its a bare ware that attaches to a screw, then to the metal box or something like that. Should I cut the breaker and put electrical tap over the middle section of that ground wire? so its not bare? and then I should be albe to push it back into the wall, also, if the bare wire touches the metal on the electric box, won't that just act as a ground? I'm only talking about the ground wire, not the hot or neg wire....thanks

If you got shocked by the ground wire then you have current on it. Which would mean you've got a problem that needs rectified.

Is there any possibility that you inadvertently touched more than just the ground wire (or forced it into another wire)? Thing is, there shouldn't be any other uncovered/bare wires in the box (or anywhere else). The only bare wire is (supposed to be) the ground, and it only carries voltage to ground as a failsafe.

Back
Top Bottom