DIY room & cob project, drill & tap tutorial: strain undetermined

I have the time. I’m more concerned with storage. I probably will get a tote and start composting with the soil from my next grow. I’ll find room.
What’s the least amount of time you’ve let it cook and not burned your plants. I’m looking at starting in a month maybe 2. Why I was thinking of waiting till next time.

Get an upright rubbermaid on casters. Concrete or paint mixer on drill. The tarp to mix is to much drama.

Most of the amendments I add to the soil, don't really need to compost again. If you need to add lime to adjust then it might need a week or two. Ive used it within 10 days of mixing. Also, I am far south and I am pretty sure my summer temps outside are much warmer.

The smell of my mix never really changes. My compost has a done smell to it.

Honestly, the cheapest way to go IMO is pro-mix hp and be done w it. You can even make your own w peat/lime/perlite.

Mixing soil is not really the best way to approach for small indoor growers.
1) Not using it quickly and storing-bugs
2) Cost
3) Small batch error = chasing w nutes to fix it after you find the error w the plant.
4) Bugs and the need to spray for them
5) time
6) storage space

Promix pretty much ensures me I am not creating an ecosystem for shit that will consume my plant quicker than I.

Plus, I always know what I get from it nute wise. Nothing.

These two constants help big time with indoor gardening.

Outdoors, sure, ffof, chicken shit, whatever. get your kicks.

You can do supersoil indoors, it's just more prone to type 2 or introduced errors.

One thing I will add, the top inch or two when starting seeds is usually promix or FFLW regardless if the remainder is supersoil or ffof.
Ok. I was thinking a Rubbermaid in my basement. I’ll mix up enough for a couple for next time. If I buy the amendments in bags and mix in my basement, should be sterile? Last time I went straight from paper towels to 3/4 ffof 1/4 perlite in fabric and it was fine. Drainage too. Too hot to start? I’m buying seeds this time & want to be careful. Last time I didn’t care and started like 8 & kept 2. Bag seed.

Making progress. Finished boarding up the ceiling and bought a door and some 7gal fabric pots.
D4820565-9467-4BA4-9B83-D3E58C561BAA.jpeg

They’re in the mail. Still have to build wall, seal and paint. Got the door hung. Probably finish the wall today.
93F7F991-0B3E-4A76-A12A-47FDB06556B0.jpeg
Mylar and zipper will go around the door frame. Gives me a 6” breezeway.

I got the wall up after thanksgiving dinner. Ate way to much as usual. I’m thinking of adding a 5th plant in the middle. I have a Mars 96 I could put between the cobs. It would bring it up to 816.4watts. I don’t know, might get crowded.

The blue square on the paneling is where the passive intake is going.

Happy thanksgiving everybody!
0EC79F92-A3A4-46C3-AA1A-AE35E7A42972.jpeg
C448BCF3-451E-4947-A889-0B87D14C36DB.jpeg
A0FAA2B4-2A8A-4C11-A610-EB19CD55401B.jpeg

What is the floor space again? ~ 5x5?

I probably would run a 5th. Veg them on the cobs at about 40%, at 22 hrs of so, throw that mars in there for flower and crank cobs to 60 at beginning of flower (14 hrs) and gradually increase light intensity.

I have about 15 or so autos in 2g pots in a 20' sq spot. You could throw a couple small 2g autos in there still and run them on that middle row and let them xmas tree and do there thing with whatever light schedule your on.

i would prob drop a pair of 8/9 week autos. If your vegging the photos 6-8 weeks you will probably be pulling the autos about the time stretch is on. Something to consider if you have auto seed lying around.

Hey man, love what you're doing here! I definitely encourage a living soil organic grow. Not that I've had that much experience or growing with nutrients to compare it to, but my first grow was surprisingly easy... i didn't even have a set up for brewing compost teas at the time, and my soil wasn't really cooked that long before I started using it (although most of my amendments were already broken down in the pre-bought supersoil compost mix I used), but they essentially were just watered through to the end with a little bit of worm juice from the bottom of my worm bin when they were in need of microbes. Was surprisingly smooth, even for me being a first time grower

20191130_100934.jpg

This tote is where I mixed up my batch, was reasonably full but gave me enough for a few outdoor pots, two 30L big girls indoors, another 5 smaller pots for the little ones, and some still left over. I stored it inside in our tiny little studio flat for the whole first grow, didn't have any issues or bugs taking over or anything, even in humid Newcastle :thumb:

I also just wanted to jump in about the bug concern, as I've had HUGE success combating buggies with a little neem meal in my mix! I didn't have any initially in my soil, and I could not for the LIFE of me do anything to get rid of the little fungus gnats i had. I had yellow sticky fly traps hung up all around the cab, I let the soil really fully dry until the peat was hard to re-moisten, and they still just would not leave. Then I reamended with a little (I'm talking 60g in 100L of soil mix), and IMMEDIATELY they were gone... not a single gnat flying around, or any other bugs I've seen. I've even got a chili plant outside in a pot of the same soil, and she doesn't get bothered by the bugs like my other outside plants

If you can get your hands on a calcium mix or something with chitin from crustacean shells in there, you will also go a long way towards combating bugs; sources of chitin will encourage fungi that make an enzyme called chitinase, which breaks down chitin and subsequently breaks down the exoskeleton of buggies trying to live in there!

What is the floor space again? ~ 5x5?

I probably would run a 5th. Veg them on the cobs at about 40%, at 22 hrs of so, throw that mars in there for flower and crank cobs to 60 at beginning of flower (14 hrs) and gradually increase light intensity.

I have about 15 or so autos in 2g pots in a 20' sq spot. You could throw a couple small 2g autos in there still and run them on that middle row and let them xmas tree and do there thing with whatever light schedule your on.
Space is 5’4” by 6’4”. Autos in smaller pots, that’s a good idea. I didn’t order any this time. Should have got the autos for freebies. Next time.

In the home stretch. Got her all sealed up and ready for paint.

I put a filter on each side of of the intake vent. It almost completely blacks it out. I’ll take one out if there’s not enough air flow. I’m not concerned really with light leaks, the main room is pitch
A0BA4F11-0C7A-4F47-B882-EA4093ACD7BE.jpeg
4A191AD2-3CD4-4525-8990-509E00D0889E.jpeg
E0D8742B-B922-4806-8A2A-CC2CEAC2C083.jpeg
C9284DC5-4149-4E53-8631-D25F4C92B96A.jpeg
3F1ECBBB-D838-46BB-BFE7-F627EEBB0646.jpeg
dark anyway.

Tapping into a water pipe. I’m not lugging all that water down the steps. Easier and less conspicuous.

Straight from the pipe to a bubbler, then pumped to the plant. I guess I’ll just time how long to fill a gallon? Any suggestions? I need to check out some watering set ups.

A6E0777C-D348-4C63-9F3B-D2584E7A8947.jpeg

Water line is installed. I couldn’t find a hook of any kind for the hose, so I sawed of an antler from a rack I had lying around.
& one coat of paint done.

My seeds are supposed to be here this week. So that and depending on if I’m going to cook any soil, will determine when I start. Getting close.
85F0B15C-8CB0-4EB1-8CE8-6CA5A1C478A8.jpeg
8AE10D59-15D5-44B2-964D-8C27A3013685.jpeg
9DCCCCE4-66DD-40FC-AF10-E6D4297DA1D5.jpeg

Hey man, love what you're doing here! I definitely encourage a living soil organic grow. Not that I've had that much experience or growing with nutrients to compare it to, but my first grow was surprisingly easy... i didn't even have a set up for brewing compost teas at the time, and my soil wasn't really cooked that long before I started using it (although most of my amendments were already broken down in the pre-bought supersoil compost mix I used), but they essentially were just watered through to the end with a little bit of worm juice from the bottom of my worm bin when they were in need of microbes. Was surprisingly smooth, even for me being a first time grower

20191130_100934.jpg

This tote is where I mixed up my batch, was reasonably full but gave me enough for a few outdoor pots, two 30L big girls indoors, another 5 smaller pots for the little ones, and some still left over. I stored it inside in our tiny little studio flat for the whole first grow, didn't have any issues or bugs taking over or anything, even in humid Newcastle :thumb:

I also just wanted to jump in about the bug concern, as I've had HUGE success combating buggies with a little neem meal in my mix! I didn't have any initially in my soil, and I could not for the LIFE of me do anything to get rid of the little fungus gnats i had. I had yellow sticky fly traps hung up all around the cab, I let the soil really fully dry until the peat was hard to re-moisten, and they still just would not leave. Then I reamended with a little (I'm talking 60g in 100L of soil mix), and IMMEDIATELY they were gone... not a single gnat flying around, or any other bugs I've seen. I've even got a chili plant outside in a pot of the same soil, and she doesn't get bothered by the bugs like my other outside plants

If you can get your hands on a calcium mix or something with chitin from crustacean shells in there, you will also go a long way towards combating bugs; sources of chitin will encourage fungi that make an enzyme called chitinase, which breaks down chitin and subsequently breaks down the exoskeleton of buggies trying to live in there!
Thanks SP! I’ve been looking at soil recipes. I think I’m going to use one. I’ll go light this time. Try to use organic fertilizer and start my bin with soil from this grow.

Thanks for the tip, definitely getting neem meal.

Back
Top Bottom