Does it count as veg the 2 weeks switch to 12/12?

hazeluv69

So as my questions states, if I flip today are the next two weeks till I see pistils still veg time or is it pre flowering? Does the plant still veg for the first week then start flowering or. I’m just wondering what this period is called if it still veg or immediately counted as flower time but not flowering started.

Hi @hazeluv69 ! The transition from veg to bloom usually takes 7-10 days, while the stretch will continue for the first two weeks after the flip. I have found that if I wait to start my first day of bloom for when I first see pistils shooting out of the growth tips 7-10 days after the flip, that my plants almost always finish on the day or within 2-3 days of when the breeder said they will. If I count bloom as starting on the day of the flip, my plants almost always run a week longer than predicted. I call this special time, this 7-10 days, the Transition period, not quite veg and not quite bloom yet either.

It’s personal preference really. I count from the day I flip them myself.
Same here. I put in the flowering tent and write the date down on a tag on the plant and in the logbook. I find it easier to do it that way than to have to study each plant to see if it is starting to show pistils, especially if I might be putting clones from 2 or more strains into the flowering tent on the same evening.

If I count bloom as starting on the day of the flip, my plants almost always run a week longer than predicted. I call this special time, this 7-10 days, the Transition period, not quite veg and not quite bloom yet either.
So it sounds pretty much the same sort of thing except one way is one week longer. If we are consistent in what we consider the start, either the day of going into 12/12 or the day of the first pistils showing then we should be able to relate to the other method when they talk about their plants.

The real problem is for the grower who does one method one time and something else a couple of weeks down the road. What makes it really confusing is when they don't bother to make a simple note as to "Went in to 12/12 on 9-18-21" or "First pistils showing on 9-18-21". I notice that they often seem to forget what part of the month all this took place and we hear "Don't remember when it started flowering but it was awhile ago." And often followed by "Is it ready yet, seems like it has been 3 months.";)

Thanks for all the detailed answers folks! Further to my question, I can word it a bit better. I intially want to veg a bit longer but need to hit flowering as soon as. If I flip 12/12 does vegging halt to exist straight away?

Would be nice if breeders put better info on the product but they wont. Example being 56 days from 12/12.
Or as said 56 days from first signs of pistils would stop any confusion.But would add days in some cases to the bloom time.And guess that makes a strain not so alluring.I dont take any notice any more and i look for myself when i feel its done. :)

Thanks for all the detailed answers folks! Further to my question, I can word it a bit better. I intially want to veg a bit longer but need to hit flowering as soon as. If I flip 12/12 does vegging halt to exist straight away?
If I flip 12/12 does vegging halt to exist straight away?
No. A couple of years ago I spent a few minutes looking for info on what causes Marijuana plants to flower. Enough is known about that stage that the information is out there.

Growth during the vegetative and the flowering stage is controlled by plant hormones that are produced in the dominant or apical part of each stem. The amount of usable light will determine which hormone gets produced in the greater amount When the usable amount of light is well over 12 hours then the plant produces the hormones that are associated with leaf, root and stem growth. This is the vegetative stage.

When the amounts of light start to drop close to 12 hours the apical tips start to produce less growth hormones and more of the hormones that induce and control flowering. One day of 12/12 is not enough to stop growth nor does the plant produce enough flowering hormone for it to start showing male or female flowers.

Based on watching my plants, mostly clones, and reading 1,000s of messages posted all over the internet, it takes between 5 and 7 days, sometimes longer, of a continuous period of dark for the plant to have produced enough of the hormone to start the flower stage.

And, early on, it is not hard to interrupt this by skipping 2 or 3 nights worth of dark and instead leave the lights on with an indoor plant. Once a plant is in full flower it can take 2 to 4 weeks of 18 hours of light to stop flowering and reverse the plant back to a vegetative stage.

Back
Top Bottom