12:12 question

The Germinator

Anyone use their mh bulb after flipping lights to 12:12 Then switch to hps after a couple weeks? Just wondering since the plants would continue to veg a little longer.
So do you guys change to hps at beginning of flip? Curious.

Freedom becomes non-existent if nature is illegal.

Well, you have to consider that they will stretch under an MH light anyway when flipped to 12/12, so it really might not be worth it.. There are a couple of blue spectrum enhanced HPS lights available, and I never really hear any significant advantages, and you'd figure that would be a more common praise if they did. You can also include blue spectrum CFLs in.

You also have to think of like, the logistics of swapping the bulb out. If you're in 12/12 you either have to wait for the bulb to cool down after shutting off, or swap the bulb out before lights come on. It's safer in my opinion to crack open the tent and let ambient light from your room in on time, swap the bulb, and then power it. At least then they receive some minor amount of light when they're supposed to, and I mean I doubt they would freak over that--how would plants react to a cloudy day.

I have done it and personally I feel like it's a waste of time and just inviting unnecessary risk. The other thing to think about, which almost cost me, is that if you wait until your plants are already 2 weeks into flower and then switch to the HPS, only to find out that your HPS is dead or something, then you will have to go get a new one pronto. On the other hand if you stick it in there right at the switch to 12/12, you have that first two weeks of flip-time to make sure the bulb is in working order.

Anyone use their mh bulb after flipping lights to 12:12 Then switch to hps after a couple weeks? Just wondering since the plants would continue to veg a little longer.
So do you guys change to hps at beginning of flip? Curious.

Freedom becomes non-existent if nature is illegal.

I don't think it really matters when it comes to the first 2 weeks of flower. My opinion I would use a HPS bulb 3/4 of the flowering stage. MH emits UVB, so About the last two weeks of flower I will change it back to the MH , just to give the plants some uvb with causing them to produce more trichomes.

Pure. Potent. Vapor

I use HPS all the way through. From clone to harvest - HPS.

~ Auggie ~

Hps stimulates stem growth. What size do your plants get?

Never had a HPS make and of my stems small or my mch make the stems bigger. Armor si will make your branches bigger and mammoth p will also

my new dwc Afghan Kush run and flowering mothers

I don't think it really matters when it comes to the first 2 weeks of flower. My opinion I would use a HPS bulb 3/4 of the flowering stage. MH emits UVB, so About the last two weeks of flower I will change it back to the MH , just to give the plants some uvb with causing them to produce more trichomes.

Pure. Potent. Vapor
This is pretty much what i do, as well. MH for the first 2 and last 2 weeks of flower. Sometimes i will leave the hps bulb in for the last weeks and just add uv cfl-type lights.

This is pretty much what i do, as well. MH for the first 2 and last 2 weeks of flower. Sometimes i will leave the hps bulb in for the last weeks and just add uv cfl-type lights.

Yup. Tha will def work too. You could go to your local pet store and buy some uvb bulbs there. In the reptile section

Pure. Potent. Vapor

Hps stimulates stem growth. What size do your plants get?

I haven't noticed any difference - I'm sure there IS a difference, but its just not enough for me to notice.
I like to have a little extra room between the branches anyway, reduces the risk of damage from humidity and gives bugs fewer hiding places.
Does it cost me weight?
Yea, prolly a little bit. But I have a CO2 enhanced 3600w grow over about 100 sf and I pull 7+ lbs every 12 weeks.

I am about to remodel my room and go to three 1000w Gavita lights.
I hope to get up closer to 1gr per watt with a savings of about 600w (or about 2 amps) of electricity.

~ Auggie ~

Back
Top Bottom