Does it really smell?

Renegade

ive never been around a mature marijuana plant and i want to start growing soon when i get a new apartment, and ive heard that they really "stink" and stuff like that. im wondering if they actually stink or if its just a certain smell and would this smell engulf my whole apartment? any help is welcome and appreciated :):peacetwo: ;)

Yes it stinks, some strains stink more than others. Read up on odor control to see which option is best for your situation, maybe consult with your local hydro store. Some things that will help:
Charcoal filter
ONA gel
Ozone generator

My grow is in a tightly sealed area that vents through the roof vent, so we have no smell in the house and the wind carries it away so you don't notice it outside. When I chop the plants and bring them into my office to trim, the whole house stinks....bad. Need to open the windows and get some cross-ventilation to knock it down. My office is upstairs and you can smell it downstairs.

So, long answer short, it stinks.

Yes they smell - depends on the strain, but they smell very strong especially in flower.

Growing anything in an apartment is risky business - at least in the U.S. Nosy neighbors and odor can get you in trouble quick - not to mention landlords, etc...

it stinks and yes while its blooming it can be completely overpowering--i would never smoke any quality meds in an apartment-let alone grow in one---must go outside unless your smoking mexican dirt!!!-i have only ever grown outdoors and when theybloom and i get within approx a half a football fields length of them if the winds blowing the right direction i can smell them plenty strong -the last i had was og kush only brought a 1/4oz into the house and it stunk my hole 2story house up while sealed in 3 ziplock bags under papers in a desk drawer with an artsy fartsy plugin airfreshener thingy 2 feet from the desk-- my wife(she doesnt smoke and hates the smell) sat at the desk for 3 minutes and got up ran to the bathroom and puked her guts out from the smell--afterwards i was instructed to get that shit outa the house and never bring it inside again--lol
after smoking 2 hitters of it at 11am i left the house and didnt return for 9 hours it was last october and some windows were open so it wasnt closed up and locked in- as soon as i opened the front door the smell just reached out and bitch smacked me across the face--with that being said og is a very stinky strain at least all of it i have ever had. there are good strains out there that hardly smell at all or that give off smells that unless you smoke you wouldnt recognize as weed.

cool subject :smokin: I like the smell of sativas like pineapple express, Kali Mist, Durban Poison(I think non smokers would not recognize it as mj), lemon and its crosses(I'm often asked what have you been smoking lemons) indicas like raspberry kush, I have a rocky mountain plant that smells minty. wannabgreen good thing you didn't have Headband lol. watering your plants moving them around and too much heat bring out the smell big time. :goodluck:

dam you guys are scaring me into not growing lol im not growing to sell, just for my own use and for my roomate, i have this fascination with marijuana, i want to grow to see how well my plants come out and to see how high they can get me. with that being said would 2 plants be enough for 2 rookie smokers?
what if i grew raspberry kush and pineapple express would those 2 really stink up the whole apartment complex?

dam you guys are scaring me into not growing lol im not growing to sell, just for my own use and for my roomate, i have this fascination with marijuana, i want to grow to see how well my plants come out and to see how high they can get me. with that being said would 2 plants be enough for 2 rookie smokers?
what if i grew raspberry kush and pineapple express would those 2 really stink up the whole apartment complex?

I'm in veg right now and my plants are putting off a slight smell that is easily controllable with a homemade carbon filter.

I'm flipping into 12/12 in less than a week and have filters on all of my exhaust fans as well as an ona bucket connected to one of them to kill the smell.

If you build in the tools you'll find here to your stealth grow space, smell shouldn't be an issue.

:Namaste:

2 plants would be plenty for 2 newb's prolly keep you both good for a very long time depending on how you do for your 1st grow....no one wants to scare you out of growing we just want to make sure you get the point about making sure you have something in place to control the odor cuz if you dont you are asking to be busted. there are plenty of products out there for this purpose--i myself have only ever used carbon filter and fan for air scrubbing-never tried anything else cuz the 1st thing i tried has always worked for me-and growing outside all i need odor control for is at harvest/drying time- they can be found in combo packages or seperatly for between 125.00-375.00 and i got mine from htgsupply on ebay for a pretty reasonable price--it was a 6" combo 494cfm fan and 9x25 filter for 200 which included s/h
anyways steveman gave the 3 things that i have heard work and only the 1 of those i can personally vouch for it working, but there lots of folks on here who have used or do use any1 or combo of the 3 he listed with success.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS IF THE COPS BUST YOUR DOOR DOWN IT'S TO LATE TO WORRY ABOUT ODOR CONTROL SO PUT SOMETHING IN PLACE B4 YOU EVER MAKE IT TO BLOOM STAGE and everything should be fine, tell noone, and let noone see your grow, other than the folks here on 420 we all know how hard it is not to brag about growing your own buds that are way better than any brick/mexican dirt weed around--but be carefull because while smoking it isnt addicting growing it is!!!!

They all stink to varying degrees but I would suggest NOT growing any Sour D strain if odor is a concern.

WillyB

I think pineapple express and raspberry kush sound like a match made in sweet fruit heaven:amen: both plants produce good yields.:Rasta: A+ buds.

if i did grow those together would a non smoker recognize the smell as weed?

the hard part now is finding raspberry kush and pineapple express :'(

if i did grow those together would a non smoker recognize the smell as weed?

the hard part now is finding raspberry kush and pineapple express :'(

Personally, I think they would recognize the smell. It's really powerful unless you go to considerable lengths to eliminate it. Not going to be easy to do in an apartment. Think dead skunk powerful when they are in bloom - it's as much how strong the smell is as it is the scent. Even with citrusy overtones, it'll smell like MJ I think - at best lemony MJ. Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom