Smell During Drying

420Girl

I've finally harvested my Northern Lights (yay!) and they're hanging up to dry in a cardboard box sitting on top of my tent. When I smell them they smell weird to me, like sort of slightly musty and nothing like they smelled when growing nor do they have the typical weed smell. If I handle them and smell my fingers they smell like they did when growing though, very lemony in fact. But I still don't think they smell like weed.

I also was expecting them to really begin to stink while drying as I'd heard that's what happens but they don't really (which is some ways is a good thing because of neighbors etc).

Has anyone had similar experience when drying? I don't think my buds are really dense enough to have developed mould either.

:thanks:

P10903372.JPG

I've finally harvested my Northern Lights (yay!) and they're hanging up to dry in a cardboard box sitting on top of my tent. When I smell them they smell weird to me, like sort of slightly musty and nothing like they smelled when growing nor do they have the typical weed smell. If I handle them and smell my fingers they smell like they did when growing though, very lemony in fact. But I still don't think they smell like weed.

I also was expecting them to really begin to stink while drying as I'd heard that's what happens but they don't really (which is some ways is a good thing because of neighbors etc).

Has anyone had similar experience when drying? I don't think my buds are really dense enough to have developed mould either.

:thanks:

P10903372.JPG
That is normal until the moisture comes out and has cured for a few days. They have lots of different ways to dry and cure . I am currently trying out the paper bag method for smaller amounts it works great.

Wow that's brilliant! You know what? I just checked on my buds and they're pretty much dry after only 2 days. For some reason humidity has been down to about 45% recently and temps are around 75, so I guess that's why. Plus they're not that big. I'll jar them tomorrow morning I think :) I have to say I didn't enjoy watching them shrink lol.

Wow that's brilliant! You know what? I just checked on my buds and they're pretty much dry after only 2 days. For some reason humidity has been down to about 45% recently and temps are around 75, so I guess that's why. Plus they're not that big. I'll jar them tomorrow morning I think :) I have to say I didn't enjoy watching them shrink lol.
Hey 420Girl,

Congrats on your harvest!

Drying, on average, takes 2-7 days. Depends on your environmental elements.
In drying, we want to prevent the buds from being too moist, before jarring them, and to prevent from them to stick to each other.
Moist and not properly cured buds has a significantly higher chance of developing mold in the jars.

Curing (Decarboxylation) is a process in which the THC-A breaks down to THC. Just keep it in a dark place. And open the lid ones or twice a day for 10-15 mins.

Don't you worry about the aroma of your fresh buds. The true aroma of your buds will reveal itself in week 2-4 of curing. It will be much more defined and pronounced. Same goes for the flavor.

Enjoy your harvest!

Thanks GreenProto! :)

I just jarred mine (all but the biggest two buds because I could see they weren't dry yet) and they're all sticking together in the jar, so I've left the lid off. I might just tip them out over some greaseproof paper on a flat surface and let them dry some more before putting them back in. I don't want to get this far and them ruin them! I'm glad you mention about the aroma because at the moment it smells pretty horrible lol.

That is normal until the moisture comes out and has cured for a few days. They have lots of different ways to dry and cure . I am currently trying out the paper bag method for smaller amounts it works great.
Please tell me of this paper bag method.

Hey Vasdef,

it’s old thread from 2017, don’t recognize any handles so I assume those cats have moved on….

But one great drying trick is called low & slow fridge cure. The cool thing is your buds would dry in your fridge which has a gasket on the door and eliminates odor into your apartment…. IMHO Low & Slow delivers great taste & terps

it’s long thread but first page gets you there, BRB with link Low & Slow fridge cure

Hey Vasdef,

it’s old thread from 2017, don’t recognize any handles so I assume those cats have moved on….

But one great drying trick is called low & slow fridge cure. The cool thing is your buds would dry in your fridge which has a gasket on the door and eliminates odor into your apartment…. IMHO Low & Slow delivers great taste & terps

it’s long thread but first page gets you there, BRB with link Low & Slow fridge cure
Hehe, thats not the first time I didnt check the date on the thread.

Back
Top Bottom