Dr Cannabis' First Grow - LED - Soil - Sweet Tooth Autos - Start: 2014 January 10th

Dr Cannabis

Hi fellow growers and lurkers!

I began this experiment, because I wanted to see how low I could go in price for a fair yield.

This is the setup:

1x mechanical timer (for the fan)

wind.jpg

1x digital timer (for the light)

timer8.jpg

1x Thermometer for the soil

soiltemp1.jpg

1x weather station for measuring humidity and air temps

weather3.jpg

1x humidifier (Konig's HC AH50 - can be seen in later photos)

1x 20 liter bucket of (50%) soil, (25%) leca and (25%) perlite

&

1x 12W LED lamp for plant growth red/blue

dag1.jpg

On day 3, signs of life..

dag4.jpg

But I soon switched to a 15W LED, because the 12W wouldn't turn on again after a couple of days.

dag3_1.jpg

I realized I had problems with the humidity, the PH value in the water and maybe the 15W wasn't more than enough to just mess a little with my seeds. They had just been misted in this photo, my humidity problems weren't THAT big!

dag17_2.jpg

I dunno, but I decided that I wanted some more power. A fair yield. I upgraded to a 90W UFO:

dag22_2.jpg

UFO2.jpg

And this is my current setup altogether, except that you can't see my surveillance cam in this photo. I use that a lot for keeping track on things in my little growroom.

dag26.jpg

I will update this journal so you guys can see what my bucket with three plants in it (FAIL?) can heal with a 90W LED UFO.

This is how the plants currently look in CFL light here on day 30..

dag30.jpg

Cheers for now :blunt:

Re: Dr Cannabis' first grow - LED / Soil / Sweet Tooth autos - Start: 2014 January 10

It should also be mentioned, that I use the 15W LED to give some light to the lower branches, plus to the plants that I use on the side to clean the air. It's a couple of hedera helix and a big dieffenbachia camilla, both used by NASA to clean the air on spaceships. And I must say that those two have improved the air quality in the growroom. I don't even have to use the humidifier as much anymore, those plants seem to keep it a bit in check, perhaps by transpiration(?).

It goes like this, anyway..

day3112.jpg

day31_2.jpg

Re: Dr Cannabis' first grow - LED / Soil / Sweet Tooth autos - Start: 2014 January 10

OK, so what kind of nutrients, what is your "soil"?
Organic
Salt based
Organic teas
SRP 6-5-3
What kind & size container
Just a few ?

I think the light might need to be just about another 15-20" away from the plants this young then lower to around 15-20" on established plants.
I've been running Leds from the beginning.

OK, so what kind of nutrients, what is your "soil"?
Organic
Salt based
Organic teas
SRP 6-5-3
What kind & size container
Just a few ?
The soil is some Danish leaf mould, it's fertilized, which was a bit of a mistake. But the sort of thing you find out along the road as you read more and more. As for the nutes, well, it's a brand that I don't know if you have over there (I'm from Denmark), called Substral, very popular household nutrients here. Other Danes have reported nute-burning the cannabis plant with it, so I have given them about 1/4 of the recommended veggie dosage for now. Will up it slowly.

I think the light might need to be just about another 15-20" away from the plants this young then lower to around 15-20" on established plants.
I've been running Leds from the beginning.
I have read several places, that it should be 12"-24" for growth LED? So I've kept it at about 14"-16". Do you think my plants look unhealthy since you say that?

Hey Dr Cannabis,
Going to watch and learn along with you. :cheer:I want to one day switch to LEDs.
Good luck and enjoy the ride :)

Have you separated the ones in the same bucket? I would do it sooner than later cause her roots are going to spread like (insert joke here, i chose to filter myself lol) crazy. :)

Have you separated the ones in the same bucket? I would do it sooner than later cause her roots are going to spread like (insert joke here, i chose to filter myself lol) crazy. :)
Nope, haven't dared to. I'm afraid to kill the plants since I have never done such a thing before. I don't want to waste three seeds and 4 weeks, on an experiment involving the entire crop. Rather a small crop than nothing. I'm pretty sure that the roots are already entangled anyway at this point, they already steal each others light quite a bit. Soooo.. A rookie mistake I will redo next time, instead of experimenting too much now.

My new found friend your growing with salts. They just kill the soil life. Look thur my pics,I started with the same thing but after 1.5 years ,I'm working on Hi-Brix
In veg but still have some in 50% coco -25% perlite -25% vermiculite minerlized with rock powders.
6 parts 90% or higher CaCO3
5 parts soft rock phosphate
3 parts Gypsum
Worm Castings
The easiest way is the organic way.

Life began in the soil, just keep it alive,
Your plants will love you for it & you'll love the great buds.

That sounds pretty advanced, and damn interesting. Thanks for that recipe! I was actually gonna go over to some organic stuff anyway, it was also the original idea to go organic. But it's still illegal to grow here, so I buy everything for my grow in cash, no credit card, and have had quite a hard time finding some organic nutrients in the local area. I have found some now tho, but I haven't bought it yet. I might switch to that soon. Or have a deeper look into your recipe. Thanks again!

On a sidenote, then I find it quite interesting how different these three plants are in growth. I could have ended up concluding that the LED UFO is crap if all my plants had looked like the small one. And I could also have ended up concluding that LED is utterly awesome if all three plants had turned out like the big one.

dag34.jpg

Right now, my conclusion is that the light source is secondary to the seed quality. But that they both have to be in place for a fair crop of course. I wonder how many people have concluded that LED is crap because they got a batch of poor seeds?

Subscribed ;) hope your grow is successfull!
Thx mayn :thumb:

I had a hard time feeling for water when the 12L buckets were standing in 20L buckets. So instead of cutting them all up, then I bought three saucers for the "pots" today.

day34_3.jpg

Now I have a UFO and three saucers that may well be flying through the air if this grow doesn't. This is x-files stuff right there.

And now.. What I see in my surveillance cam when I'm too lazy to go down in the growroom.

I keep an eye on the fan, the lights and the humidifier with this device..

What I see in my cam

I have a weather station down there right now. But next up is that I want a wireless weather station so I can check the status from anywhere. That would be awesome. And nerdy. So I like that idea.

My new found friend your growing with salts. They just kill the soil life. Look thur my pics,I started with the same thing but after 1.5 years ,I'm working on Hi-Brix
In veg but still have some in 50% coco -25% perlite -25% vermiculite minerlized with rock powders.
6 parts 90% or higher CaCO3
5 parts soft rock phosphate
3 parts Gypsum
Worm Castings
The easiest way is the organic way.

Life began in the soil, just keep it alive,
Your plants will love you for it & you'll love the great buds.

Im all organic too.....

Looking too boost my lighting. So will interesting to your results. My first instinct was the new light is a bit close. But im no expert on LED :cheesygrinsmiley::cheesygrinsmiley:

Someone in the know posted light heights on my journal. Will see if i can find it for you. But your girls will let you know soon enough.. Just keep an eye on em.., move up if needed. Not a problem really.

Enjoy your grow, fellow grower...

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom