Drilling a hole in the bucket

DesertSmoke

Slowly getting it all together and now I have low end question. I figure rather than drill a hole the wrong size someone here can answer me so I don't destroy a high dollar Lowes bucket....
I bought 1/2 inch rubber grommets for putting 90 degree elbows in and attaching the pretty blue hose to that so I can do both of seeing water level in the buckets and 2nd have an attached drain hose on my buckets of a DWC setup.
See my question yet ? what size hole do I drill in the bucket for the 1/2 inch grommet ?
peace...:Namaste:

Thanks for the replies JAFO and Dr. Fish. I will try the spade bit since the Unibit is 54 bucks. Can't see spending that amount plus tax for 3 holes.

The old standard of the wood bit at 13/16th worked perfectly. I used my digital calipers to measure the rubber grommets groove before cutting. Thx Dr. Fish for the wood bit idea as I was planning on a regular drill bit but it was melting my test plastics......This bit did not heat up the plastic and left a perfect hole. I did need to add a touch of silicone aquarium sealant to make the fit water tight as the bucket walls were just a bit thinner than the groove in the grommet.
Once the sealant dried, the hoses and elbows attached, I now have a set of DWC buckets that let me see the water levels inside the buckets and also a drain for them with the water changes needed. The blue tinted hoses attached to the buckets are leak free.
Just for info, I tested each bucket for several hours (full of water) to be sure of the leak free status. I can only imagine the pain it would be to learn after setting everything up that a leak in all the buckets was because of not checking my work.

I had problems getting the grommets in the 13/16" hole, so I used the 3/4" spade bit and that was a tight fit. No leaks. Enjoy

save your money... drill a hole 1/16 smaller than the tubing you want to use, cut one end at an angle and 'pull' (should be kinda hard) thru from inside container.. WATERPROOF!

I've used spade bits to make holes in 16 gauge aluminum (go very slow!) as well as in polyethylene (PE) plastics. I've found you get better results by backing the cut in PE with a wood block to support the plastic and keep the bit from walking. Hole saws are easier and aren't as likely to wander if you are cutting PE without backing.

Back
Top Bottom