DIY RDWC Build & Setup! Check It Out 4x4 Tent Setup MadMonk Style!

TheMadMonk

I will try and keep this in order as much as possible, Unfortunately I got into the building zone and didn't take Pictures of each step but honestly its pretty straight forward. I will answer questions, so please feel free to ask anything.

SO onto the Build ill start off saying my setup is in a 4x4 tent From the Green Leaf Company (awesome guys imo and price is right), ok ok so RDWC So What did I use ?? Also all prices are Canadian.

- Black 5 gallon Buckets from Princess Auto $4.99 each x 5 (probably gonna up my res to something bigger but it works great i started with it in the tent so the 5 gal all fit i moved my res outside the tent so now i have much more room and can increase the res size also manage it better !)

- For the connections Between the buckets I got it all from Home Depot in the electrical PVC conduit section
Schedule 40 PVC Female Adapter 1-1/4 Inches - was used for inside the buckets

- I cant find the link for the other end but this is the same thing it comes with two complete ends you need that are the exact same but I bought the ends separate Connections for bucket ( they screw together as you will see later in my pictures and come with a rubber O ring to seal.

- then off to the hose section and match it up to the ends I used 3/4 inside dia. 1 inch outside dia. black vinyl hose. was about $20 give or take.

- the same isle as the hose i grabbed 7 x 90 degree 3/4" PVC elbows to connect to the hose and 4 x "T" 3/4" connectors.

- I matched up a hole saw with the threaded part of the connections to drill into the bucket (cant remember the size i used but its basic about an inch i think the holes were tight enough the threaded connections almost self tapped the bucket without the other side connected yet)

-Make sure you clean up the holes you drill with the hole saw or you might get a small leak I was lazy and didnt clean one up with sand paper quick and it had a super slow drip so i took it off and cleaned it up put it back on and it was perfect.

- Grab a big bag of 1 inch hose clamps

- The rest is pretty simple really I drilled I laid the buckets out as i wanted them in the tent marked where i wanted the holes to line up (which you can see in my pictures) and drilled and screwed the connections in then cut the hoses and clamped them down.

- I drilled small holes that the air lines for the air stones just fit through nice and snug at the top of the buckets on the side

- I have a summersible water pump in the res. that feeds a return line back to the baskets where i drilled and added a uniseal and pushed the T and 90 degree elbows into with the vinyl hose.

- For running the lines through the tent ! this is the big one for me the holes in my tent were to high for gravity return lines to go through. so i bought a female T connection and another connection like used on the buckets and cut an X into the side of the tent pushed the connecter through, put on some plumbers tape and it looked clean and like it was part of the tent ! super simple and im proud of this hahaha

- I have ran the system for a couple weeks and not a single drop of water or leak.

- I also added some water level gauges on the sides of the res and 2 of the end buckets to quickly see the water levels

- the only thing different from the pictures is i ended up adding 2 t connectors through the tent as water return lines back to the res which is what i had when i had the res inside the tent. but when i turned my water pump on max it didn't have good re circulation to keep up with the pump it worked but not optimal. i tried to cheat as i was really Leary of cutting holes in the tent as this was just an idea i had with nothing to go off for a guide or suggestions but after it turned out as it did i added a second T connection to have the 2 return lines go to the res and there is no issues what so ever. it runs great.

I hope I explained it as good as i could . i wish i did a step by step but i didn't. but i feel like the pictures say 1000 words and if anyone needs help or needs a better or different picture not posted i will get it for you .

Also i Added a similar connection for my dehumidifier to drain outside the tent. I was trying to make it so the more i can do outside the tent the better.

PLEASE let me know what you guys think !! Originally I made one with 1.5" uniseals and i hated it, leaked and looked messy. i was worried that the hose size was gonna be to small and it has no issues for me. I drop a 5 gallon paint strainer in the buckets and the roots can just grow into that and nothing floats around or back into the res.

setup 1.jpg

setup 2.jpg
setup 3.jpg
setup top feed.jpg
inside connection res.jpg
outside res conection.jpg
res connection 1.jpg

dehumid hookup.jpg
dEHUMIDIFIER TANK.jpg

Great write up

After this grow, and a vacation, I may go from DWC to RDWC a d like the flex hose u used
Thanks ! I appreciate the feed back I did a tone of research into RDWC and looked at a ton of builds and this was something i kind of made up with walking around home depot for a good couple hours looking at everything hahaha

Great design, but I see some flaws.
you will save energy (takes more energy to start up and run for a few minutes and get cold )and life of the ac kicking on every 2 minutes off and on if you put it outside your tent and chill the room, too much air runs through the tent for it to cool. plus ac's need a certain amount of time to do whatever before it turns back on. off on off on will ruin it in 3x faster.

are you running a chiller?

Interesting substitution on the conduit bulkheads. are you sure they dont leak? I feel afterr a while you might run into some issues since they aren't made for water.

and it is standard for 1.5 at least inch uni seals on rounds or bulkheads on square buckets. roots will grow long and depending on flow rate, you might come back home to your entire system flooding your room.

I'll stick around :)

-scuba

is that electrical conduit foam in the seal or rubber? I feel you should retry the uni-seals. as long as you cut a smaller hole and sand the hole up to size and REALLY PUSH IT IN. it wont leak. i run 30 gallons through 7 - 1.5 inch unis and no leaks at all.

Great design, but I see some flaws.
you will save energy (takes more energy to start up and run for a few minutes and get cold )and life of the ac kicking on every 2 minutes off and on if you put it outside your tent and chill the room, too much air runs through the tent for it to cool. plus ac's need a certain amount of time to do whatever before it turns back on. off on off on will ruin it in 3x faster.

are you running a chiller?

Interesting substitution on the conduit bulkheads. are you sure they dont leak? I feel afterr a while you might run into some issues since they aren't made for water.

and it is standard for 1.5 at least inch uni seals on rounds or bulkheads on square buckets. roots will grow long and depending on flow rate, you might come back home to your entire system flooding your room.
I'll stick around :)

-scuba

Thanks for the reply I’m not running an ac unit the temps in the area are already low and running a quantum board hlg 550 light with the amount of airflow I have going through the tent is enough. If your referring to the white unite in the corner? it’s my dehumidifier as humidity is an issue where it is.

No chiller is being used and I am 100% aware of water temps and how they affect the plant I.e root rot or slowing growth etc. The water temps are actually in a good range especially with the cold concrete surface radiating the cold into the bucket and having a couple ice bottles on stand by if ever needed. Also im gonna be covering the buckets to reflect as much radiant heat from the lights.

As for uniseals i did have 1.5" uniseals and i hated them they were a pain for me, i just didnt like it and thought there had to be a better way. the water flow is actually really good which was my worry but if you look up flow charts for sizing of pipes its pretty amazing how little you need to move a large volume. I havent actually grown with them yet so im saying this without having actually done it but through lots of testing with the unit it has held up really good.

Basically just have to worry about keeping them from clogging so how do i resolve that and even with 1.5" uniseals can be an issue still ??? so i found another article saying to use 5 gallon elastic top paint strainers so that your roots grow into basically a mesh strainer bag that holds them in place from going past and into the water connections same with any debris from the roots coming off.

71uJPNLe4sL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Trimaco SuperTuff Regular Mesh/Elastic Top Bag Strainers, 5 gallon

as for leaks no they are not designed for water they are electrical conduits that are designed to keep water from getting into the wires so im just using them backwards basically if that makes sense ? and they are made of the same pvc that is used for water hose connections to me pvc is pvc.

and for inside yes they come with a dense foam(ish) gasket so i threw them inside with it and on the outside there is rubber o ring that comes with it, you could easily swap them with any kind of rubber o ring or gasket. And for testing for leaks i have been over this thing (like OCD) over it doing 2 week runs with it setup completely running air stones and pumps. it hold water and hasn't spilled a drop. I have spent so much time making sure its good because the last thing i want is to find out half way through. I've made a couple systems before different ways and i truly feel 100% comfortable to start with this.

as for a grow journal i will be throwing one up in October and will try to be as precise as i can with tracking everything throughout. im sure ill be looking for a few good people to help me out along the way so dont go to far lol

Hopefully that answered your questions or atleast my thought process to it ? love the feed back thanks again !

We added some tie down hooks for LST to the net pots. There is a million ways to do this I know just wanted to share the idea if someone was interested.

IMG_0643.JPG

Here is better picture also of the connections through the tent to the res, which we up'd in size.

IMG_0645[1].JPG

The res
IMG_0648[1].JPG

From the inside of the tent to the Res
IMG_0649[1].JPG

Quick drain to empty the system, runs to a floor drain.
IMG_0650[1].JPG

Back
Top Bottom