Drooping Plants before Lights out

bruno12345

Greetings fellow growers.

I have two questions for you.

Currently using a 400w HPS, with super lumens from the ballast, on a 0,80mx0,80mx1,60m grow (2.65ft x 2.65ft x 5.3ft)
Plants are around 45 centimeters from the lamp.

1)When i go to turn lights off, plants are drooping like they went to sleep earlier.
At the start of lights again, they are all up and healthy, and stays like this for hours.
I dont know exactly when they droop, because i sleep at night, and turn lights off when i wake up. I can assure temps and humidity not the problem

Is this behaviour because of too much light, excess transpiration or any bad sign?

2)I had a spare 100w white 6500k chinese led reflector, that i installed yesterday to give some intercanopy lighting.
Having around 1000PPFD on the top of the canopy, no supplemental CO2, giving more light intercanopy will be a good one, or just spending money on electricity and disturbing the plant for the excess light?

Photo here:
IMG_20210517_203053.jpg

Currently using a 400w HPS, with super lumens from the ballast, on a 0,80mx0,80mx1,60m grow (2.65ft x 2.65ft x 5.3ft)

1)When i go to turn lights off, plants are drooping like they went to sleep earlier.
At the start of lights again, they are all up and healthy, and stays like this for hours.
I dont know exactly when they droop, because i sleep at night, and turn lights off when i wake up. I can assure temps and humidity not the problem

Is this behaviour because of too much light, excess transpiration or any bad sign?

2)I had a spare 100w white 6500k chinese led reflector, that i installed yesterday to give some intercanopy lighting.
Having around 1000PPFD on the top of the canopy, no supplemental CO2, giving more light intercanopy will be a good one, or just spending money on electricity and disturbing the plant for the excess light?

Photo here:
IMG_20210517_203053.jpg
Hey there @bruno12345 ! What you are describing is considered by many to be proof that our plants are able to think and that they are sentient. By putting a time lapse camera on your girls you will find that around 20 minutes before lights out, they anticipate this coming change and start to wind down the light gathering activities of the day, reducing the transpiration rate and the water pressure in the trunk which allows the leaves to droop a little bit in order to retain heat and moisture during the night. Your camera will show an equally remarkable phenomenon in the morning when the plants will again anticipate the dawn by about 20 minutes and restart the daytime processes, increasing the water pressure so the leaves can lift up to follow the morning sun.

What you are seeing is not a bad thing at all... it indicates strong and healthy plants. I also don't think that another 100w of under the canopy lighting is going to hurt anything, and you might get a little more side growth because of it. Good luck, but it looks like everything is just fine in your grow room!

Hey there @bruno12345 ! What you are describing is considered by many to be proof that our plants are able to think and that they are sentient. By putting a time lapse camera on your girls you will find that around 20 minutes before lights out, they anticipate this coming change and start to wind down the light gathering activities of the day, reducing the transpiration rate and the water pressure in the trunk which allows the leaves to droop a little bit in order to retain heat and moisture during the night. Your camera will show an equally remarkable phenomenon in the morning when the plants will again anticipate the dawn by about 20 minutes and restart the daytime processes, increasing the water pressure so the leaves can lift up to follow the morning sun.

What you are seeing is not a bad thing at all... it indicates strong and healthy plants. I also don't think that another 100w of under the canopy lighting is going to hurt anything, and you might get a little more side growth because of it. Good luck, but it looks like everything is just fine in your grow room!
Lovely wisdom!
Thanks for the comforting words.

God bless ya

Photo here:
IMG_20210517_203053.jpg
Plants look awesome!

What a fantastic response. Thanks for that @Emilya it answered those same questions for me that the original poster asked. Great info!

Back
Top Bottom