Electric Bill Has Me Concerned

I'm not sure were you guys are at but here in ca. My last bill this month last year was 325.00 this month this year no kidding 1300.00 if you go over last years bill you get charged 4 times more per kil watt figure that out. I have to get a generator that's it. And as for led's dead issue they don't work even the top of the line most expensive ones you can buy will yield you crap very low THC very low weight bunk weed.

try unplugging any thing you dont use on a everyday baisis...like toaster, phone charger, lamps you dont use everyday....Tv's you don't use everyday....Turn off light if your not in the room...
I know it wont make a HUGE difference but even if you don't have a phone charging on the charger it is still pulling watts....

just a suggestion...my husband is really anal about it...so he forced me to do it...lol

And if you qualify...see if they have a low-income discount program...like CARE

its worth a shot...the worst they can say is no you dont qualify...right?

Like MinniBratt says. Don't do anything that uses power. You don't have to unplug everything, just don't use it. Except stuff that uses lots of juice on stand-by like sat tv boxes, plasma tvs, computers not hibernating etc. Take your clothes to the laundromat. Don't eat nothing that needs more than a quick nuke in the microwave. Shower at your buddy's house. Tell that fine thang that you think candlelight is way sexier. Scratch that! No fraternizing with fine thangs at the grow! No 50" plasma TV either. Forget the game or watch it at your buddy's house after your shower. :0)

You want to cut down your bill you best learn how to live like a monk 'cause that's the kind of devotion you're going to need to come out on top. Once you harvest don't just cut off power to everything. If you don't need to run all your lights for a while get that game on the tube, shower with a friend or two, keep that clothes dryer rollin' and put some pizzas in the oven.

You want to keep usage as even as possible then that becomes the new norm for your place and as long as the bill is paid they shouldn't bother with you.

More power to ya. Keep the faith.

good point...keep the power on...its could be another thing...shit if the power company calls stay you just got a indoor hottub and sauna and 3 desktops cpu...i cant see how 1300 for a bill that you use only one 1000..i was burning 3 1000s and 1 600 and 2 400s and my bills were from 200 to 300 a month..the key is pay on time everytime and no worries..

Be very careful about that load, you are maxing out your wires in your house. Over time they will heat up and melt and start a fire. Just had it happen to me. Lost my whole grow.

Along with MinniBratt's, LabRat's, and everyone else's suggestions...

I saw mention of using CFLs for vegging.

I didn't see (or must have missed it) anyone suggest that you immediately unscrew EVERY light (that isn't used for MJ growing) in your residence that isn't a CFL or LED, throw them away, and get CFL or LED replacements.

As a matter of fact, immediately is too late - do it yesterday.

As mentioned, trade off those 1kW lights for 600s. They are more efficient so you can net the same amount of lumens (using more fixtures) while using less electricity. And as they're more efficient, they produce less heat. So, less a/c usage.

And that's another thing... I like it in the mid 60s, but if I had power bills like that I'd learn to deal with temperatures that had me sweating while sitting naked and not moving. You need to keep your GR cool - for the rest of the residence (and the people in it), use fans (ceiling fans are great) instead.

And... If it is AT ALL possible, remove the heat from the GR instead of cooling it; IOW, try to vent that hot air outside. One of the reasons that air-cooled fixtures are great is that you can pull the heat from them out of your GR without picking up the smell of the GR in the process. It's a lot easier to put it outside if it just smells like air lol. Your plants won't care if it's ten degrees cooler because you've put a glass lens on the light, ran the ducting so that you're drawing air over them that came from somewhere else, and then sending that heated air somewhere else - or whether you're pushing the combined heat/smell into another part of your residence and then trying to single-handedly finance those new upgrades down at the power station by running your a/c nonstop.

But that second way seems like trying to bake bread in your oven while leaving the oven door open and then sticking an a/c unit in the window to cool off the kitchen. Me, I keep the oven door shut and turn the vent on so (most of) the heat that is coming off of the oven goes right outside.

BTW, thanks for the chuckle! (All I had running was...):ganjamon:

Worse comes to worse, rent the apartment beside yours, cut a couple of small holes in the wall between them, and run outlets from the second apartment into the first one. It'll cost you, but running lights like that you are probably still making some serious bones. Or just go rent a four- or five-bedroom house.

i told them that i got my wife a tanning bed

That was also worth a minor chuckle: I bet after the girl got off the phone with you she found herself wondering just how many hours every day your wife spent in that tanning bed lol.

Be very careful about that load, you are maxing out your wires in your house. Over time they will heat up and melt and start a fire. Just had it happen to me. Lost my whole grow.

I would think common sense would tell you to check how many amps your trying to pull...
But I guess some people just dont know...

Most residential circuits are 15 amps But always check to be sure. Ideally you should have one breaker per room and the lights in the room(not the grow lights) should be on a separate breaker.
Add up all your lights and fans and ACs and do not exceed your breakers rating.
The wires will heat up even if it doesnt trip the breaker.
if you do have a 20 amp breaker make sure the wire is at least 12Ga (it should be printed on the sheathing).

Stealthy, since you mentioned some common-sense stuff, I'll add (someone probably already did but I'm feeling lazy right now) that proper load-BALANCING of the breaker panel is also important - along with understanding the "starting draw" of appliances, electric motors, HID lights, etc.

Basically what everyone should have a clue about whether they are growing or not. It's hard to put out an electrical fire (that is inside the wall!).

Basically what everyone should have a clue about whether they are growing or not. It's hard to put out an electrical fire (that is inside the wall!).

Exactly not only is it hard but you wont even know theres a fire at first because of sheetrocks fire rating... likely it will have spread beyond your control before you realize anythings wrong...

I have not seen anyone say if they were running 120 or 240? I will only use 240 half the amp pull and your ballast enjoy it you can hardly even hear them! Mine on 120 draw 8.89A on 240 they draw 4.07A mush less friction! I know I'm 6 years late to the party but just had to post!

Back
Top Bottom