Epsom Salt and Trace Mineral Feedings

SirGrowAlot

I have heard alot about epsom salt feeding but have heard different ways of doing it. Some have said to just pour the plain epsom salt on the soil, but didnt say how much to throw down. Others have said to mix in water, but didnt say the mix rate.
Also, I have heard of many different trace minerals that are needed. What is the best trace mineral feeding there is and where can it be purchased?

Thank You For Your Input

Do you have a deficiency you are trying to fix? What is your water supply? How are you growing (soil I assume)? What nutes are you using, frequency, concentration?

Not a deficency in particular I am trying to fix. I use distilled gallon water from store. Soil. Miracle Grow High Nitro nute feeding, and i go by the concentration on the directions. But the nutes i feed with do not have any trace minerals that I know of and i was trying to find something to get them. Also, I had heard somewhere that epsom salt was great for turning a plant real green and healthy..
Any input?
Thank you

What is Epsom?

Magnesium Sulfate is one of the most economic and versatile salt-like substances in the world. Epsom salt has been known as a wonderful garden supplement, helping to create lush grass, full roses, and healthy, vibrant greenery. Similar to salt works with the ingredients in food to enhance and bring a meal to its full potential. Epsom salt enhances fertilizer and soil's capabilities to bring a deeper level of vitality to your garden.

Why it works

Composed mostly of Magnesium Sulfate, Epsom salt is intensely rich in these two minerals that are both crucial to healthy plant life. Unlike common fertilizers, Epsom Salt does not build up in the soil over time, so it is very safe to use.

Magnesium

Magnesium is beneficial to plants from the beginning. It aids seed germination; supplying the seed with this important mineral and helping to strengthen the plant cell walls, so that the plant can receive essential nutrients. Magnesium plays a crucial role in photosynthesis and the creation of chlorophyll. In helps in soaking up phosphorus and nitrogen, which are vital components of the grow.

Sulfate

Sulfate, a mineral form of sulfur found in nature. Sulfate also aides in the production of chlorophyll. It joins with the soil to make key nutrients more effective for plants, including nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium.

Usage

Epsom can be applied in almost anyway one can imagine. Standard application methods are sprinkled directly to the soil or medium or mixed in a liquid and fed or applied via foliar feed. My use has been both. I usually mix 1 tablespoon per gal or as much as 2 and feed directly. It does dissolve best in warm water. Good for everything from lawns to shrubs and house plants as well. Got any left over go soak your feet. I supplement with it based on my perception of need. Such as I use it if I am running RO water, it can help replace missing essentials. Have never tired it as a solo fert and won't as it is incomplete in meeting my gardening requirements.

This does not address the trace mineral requirements. These include Boron, Iron, Manganese, Copper, Zinc, and others. They are normally available is retail gardening centers as Trace Minerals like Azomite, Kelp meal, and Jersey Greensand to name a few.

Hope this adequately sets you on track.

Awesome... Thanks for explaining it to me. I have alot better understanding of it now. and btw, what is RO water??

Thanks for the input guys

Sorry for assuming you knew RO. Here are some of the common ones you will encounter when speaking of water.

DI = Distilled Water
RO = Reverse Osmosis
RW = Rain Water
SW = Spring Water
TW = Tap Water

PPM = Parts per Million
Scale used for measuring particle/matter content

what is reverse osmosis what??
Also, in your opinion what is the best water to use??
Does distilled water usually have the right pH? What nutes is it lacking in?

Let's keep it simple....

Reverse Osmosis is a method of filtration. Water is passed via series of filters to achieve what we will call a clean state. Meaning very little or low mineral content. This is measured in PPM. This also means most calcium and magnesium have been stripped from the water to very low levels. These happen to be vital to the growth of cannabis. A condition that can be dealt with in different manners to provide those minerals.

Distilled is more like a treatment to water. Evaporate water capture and recondense the steam minus the minerals which stayed behind. You have distilled water the simple way. Ever boil a pan of water dry and see what's left? It can be captured from a condensation coil in an ac unit as well. Use your imagination with the conditions described. This process means 0 minerals.

Water Ph can vary based on many conditions. City tap water and such tends to be consistent in quality what ever that may be. Is it relevant? That depends on your grow style. That is a conversation beyond the scope of this thread. There are some great threads on water here. I do believe I have one out there on soft water and what it is related to gardening. Use that search engine it can serve it up faster than I can.

What is the best? I can not answer that so to speak. You measure and see what you have, learn what you need. Then you decide how to hit the mark. A lot of the journal here have water details in them as well. Read brother Read... My journal details my water situation where I mix Well Water (WW) and RO to achieve what I want from my water. I have to keep an eye on my water as the well changes based on environmental changes.

Most generally the term nutes (nutrition) is used to refer to NPK type fertilizers and such. What we are discussing is minerals mostly. Naturally occurring elements.

So then distilled water has zero minerals because they have all been evaporated out??
What is the best way to add the essential minerals to your water?
ok.. I havent been able to go through hardly any of the stuff on this site..there is just soo much info on it... I will have to go chek out some of the journals tho..
Are the journals a good education tool??

So then distilled water has zero minerals because they have all been evaporated out??
ok.. I havent been able to go through hardly any of the stuff on this site..there is just soo much info on it... I will have to go chek out some of the journals tho..

More like the water was evaporated and left the minerals behind. Yes Zero

Lots of Stuff YES, that is why we all recommend the search engine. Lightning like results. Never feel like you are wasting time reading through a journal. You will learn much more about your garden than you imagined. All of that in a way that is easy for your brain to absorb. It is also very acceptable to ask any question you wish within that journal that pertains to the thread. Hi-jacking is frowned upon. Your questions have been asked time and time again by many before as I myself have at some point. Please read our journals "It's in There" and more. You want more detail the journal is the place for that as well. It is a deep well of information and variety of views or styles. You will see the journal names give good indication of the content as well as grower. With a little experience you see real quick who you wish to follow. At that point please participate as well.... It can be easier to learn from someone that has more figured out than you, why start from scratch if you don't have to. You will also see the community shares its wealth for the greater good of all. Jump in the deep end with us and start a journal and the help will be there.

Awesome I will have to check these out... thx guys
How much does an RO filter cost? Or whatever it is you use to make RO water?

Sirgrowalot of questions!! How can u call yourself that?
Sounds like you've never grown anything!

Perhaps he aspires to something, does it matter?

Don't be dissing people that are trying to learn here. Not a good way to start out. 420 prides itself on being a wonderful place to learn and share. Just friendly advice for you.

I suggest you start by reading the 420 Forum Guidelines.

Take a toke and chill... :smokin:

Awesome I will have to check these out... thx guys
How much does an RO filter cost? Or whatever it is you use to make RO water?

In answer to your question they start about $150 and up. They come in sizes based on gals processed in a day. Yes you are correct it is a filter system. They are readily available from a myriad of sources. Places from your local home improvement store to Amazon and eBay.

Someone ALREADY told you...use Cal-Mag...before you ask what's cal mag go google or search hear it and read up on it. If you use cal mag u do not need epson salt....

SirGrowAlot, I agree with ya bro, there is nothing wrong with asking questions, that is how one learns, and in part is the reason for the forum. You can however find a lot of the answers by doing a search, there is a lot to sift through though, and it has to be worded right..but something like say RO water...you can do a search here or Google and it'll tell ya what you need to know, at least that what I do, then anything I can't find I ask about...and I ask a lot of questions, which is why I have learned so much...remember despite what some may say, this old saying...there is no such thing as a stupid question

SmokzAlot, I agree with ya bro, there is nothing wrong with asking questions, that is how one learns, and in part is the reason for the forum. You can however find a lot of the answers by doing a search, there is a lot to sift through though, and it has to be worded right..but something like say RO water...you can do a search here or Google and it'll tell ya what you need to know, at least that what I do, then anything I can't find I ask about...and I ask a lot of questions, which is why I have learned so much...remember despite what some may say, this old saying...there is no such thing as a stupid question

I welcome the questions, but I am more apt to teach one how to fish than to catch a single fish. Problem solving is a skill that is nothing more than a logical deduction of symptoms based on historical data. With some that data is personal experience and others it is learned via media or others. I highly encourage personal growth and the desire to be better than you were or are. We all have limitations from the money we can invest to the product we need. All must work within their own parameters, not mine. I do my best to help and guide to self improvement. Not always wanted or appreciated by some. None the less I figure it far better to give opportunity than to let it be crushed. The other end of the spectrum, we will always have those that are impatient and don't car to learn. Which is fine as well but NOT when they impede or belittle others that choose to take the opportunity to learn and interact. I feel strongly it is the core of this site, hence it agrees with my views and I joined up. What more can I say, I cast my vote here at 420.

A FREE MIND
A FREE SOCIETY

Back
Top Bottom