Ever seen a White Bud?

The first time I grew sinsemilla,circa 1974 I had white buds like that. A few pistils turned orange late but only a handful.

It was grown from supposed Oaxacan seed,outdoors in a river bottom w/ full sunlight from dawn to dusk.

A lot of early sinsi stateside had that characteristic. Calyxes stayed pure white and the pistils would turn a bit during the drying. The outer leaves were rarely removed until it was smoked,so the bud itself was protected from light from harvest to consumption.

I know here in the S.E. that all changed in the late 70's as everyone switched to Colombian seeds.

There's an old strain of weed in Florida where the bud is so dark green it's damned near black. It sports orange hairs. I've never seen it anywhere but Florida. I know it's still around because I was smoking the stuff last fall on a visit to S. Florida. It goes back a good 35 years. Strong relaxing body high.

I've been drooling over your plants, and taking your advice for my own grows going on years years now. Thank you.

I'll be looking forward to that journal.

I was looking at your previous posting on your White Queen in this section, and read your comment on LST with great interest....

'This plant averaged about 30 inches tall after severe tiing down, The weight that came from the laterals was a nice bonus.
Severe LST or when tieing down main colas sites close to the same height as with other lateral branches causes a hormone cahnge in growth development. Something about auxins concentrating towards the taller colas to make a plant become bushy. Tie the main cola down too far and the next tallest colas become the main colas. Its a alternative to cropping without compromising the larger central colas. I treat it more like a trial and error thing and I have been getting better. Scrog would have done this too but I have 2 grow rooms. One for veg and one for bloom.'

As someone that practices 'severe' LST (soil/CFL) I was curious if keeping my branch tops at the same height could be limiting my yield due to the hormonal changes you refer to. Generally speaking that is, realizing strain, growing methods, lighting are different. I have noticed the secondary branch colas, as you mention, are almost as large as the main stalk cola.

I have photos in 'My Bag Lady of Questionable Heritage' of my current, and past LST grows for your consideration.

Thanks in advance.

She's clean of all pest, no spidermites or even fungus gnats, yes it is a genetic white strain, the nutes are general hydroponics tripack,boosters are floraliscious bloom, dark energy, and hygrozyme. Ph stays between 5.5 and 6.3. ppm is between 1000 and 1100 which started on saturday night. ppm was at 900 to 960. The extra white is because of the 1000w hps with a cool air deflector with a vortex fan and can 33 charcoal filter. It is called sunbleaching and you can only do it with a powerful HID with a cool air deflector. I keep the light about ten to 12 inches away which is why you see so much bud at such a young and tender age. The white widow is doing it too but is not as big of a yeilder as Ice. Both strains are by Nirvana and they are very healthy with thick branches and lots of colas and nodes. I am very happy with my partners grow, I gave him the seeds and started the setup with him. Since I am not growing myself I let him borrow some of my equipment and set the timers and do the weekly waterchange. His job is to top off the resevoir everynight and yes I harass him about it all the time. I check on them twice a week. We are doing a fifty fifty split with the end product.Any questions?

Gonna have to politely disagree with you in that the reason the bud is bleaching is because the light is too close but because it's cooled it's not frying the bud...this tends to happen during the middle stages of flowering.......here's the same thing under a weak ass 126w LED light that was 3" away...
IMAG0019.JPG

777_9_.JPG

Gonna have to politely disagree with you in that the reason the bud is bleaching is because the light is too close but because it's cooled it's not frying the bud...this tends to happen during the middle stages of flowering.......here's the same thing under a weak ass 126w LED light that was 3" away...
IMAG0019.JPG

777_9_.JPG

Hum, now I'm confused -- Ledtester, are you saying that your 126w panel bleached out the top cola? I thought that only GD lamps were bright enough to actually bleach out leaves and buds... am I wrong?

I'm wondering because I generally run my LEDs very close to the tops, to help with the LED's lower lumens and lack of light penetration... just wondering.

:thanks:

Hum, now I'm confused -- Ledtester, are you saying that your 126w panel bleached out the top cola? I thought that only GD lamps were bright enough to actually bleach out leaves and buds... am I wrong?

I'm wondering because I generally run my LEDs very close to the tops, to help with the LED's lower lumens and lack of light penetration... just wondering.

I believe this problem is strain specific too but yeah the LED's did that as I had them at 3" to control height and it usually occurs at 3 or 4 weeks.

ledtester, not to get too far off subject but since I got ya' here, how far would you recommend from YOUR experience to put a led panel away from the tops during flowering? I have the HSS PPF-800 and during veg i do the recommended 12-18 inches. I am in flowering right now and keep it about 6" away. This is going by HSS, but I want to know what your experince has shown to be the best heights.

ledtester, not to get too far off subject but since I got ya' here, how far would you recommend from YOUR experience to put a led panel away from the tops during flowering? I have the HSS PPF-800 and during veg i do the recommended 12-18 inches. I am in flowering right now and keep it about 6" away. This is going by HSS, but I want to know what your experince has shown to be the best heights.

Ya, thank you Jaswan, I was just going to ask the same thing myself!

I'm working with a bunch of cheap 90w UFO-rip offs, so while I've only got about 2K lumens from each one, I'm still concerned about getting too close...

I usually keep them about 6 inches or more off the tops, I try not to go any closer than that, but I wish I could because the light penetration to the lower branches is pretty bad. If it was not for the mylar I'm using, I suspect a lot of my LED photons would be lost completely and would be totally ineffective.

It would seem the bleaching would be dependent on the total light output too, right? For example, I would expect a big GD lamp putting out 100K lumens to be able to bleach my colas from much much farther away than a little UFO putting out only 2K lumens... is that a fair assumption?

Also, one other question -- what is bleaching?? Is it because the light is so intense, it destroys the cholor molecules in the leaf, resulting in leaf death?? Also, is bleaching more associated with a particular wavelenght of light? Or too much UVA or UVB radiation from the LEDs?

If bleaching is only a cosmetic change, then I could not care less, but if it is a sign of leaf/bud destruction then I want to avoid it at all costs...

My thinking on any light is to have it as close as possible. This bleaching seems to occur during weeks 3 and 4 so any other time the plants can practically touch the lights. Now remember you minipulate the plant with your light, so how close or far away you are or wether you keep moving the light up really depends on your coverage. manuf tell you to keep them so far away cause the coverage numbers for lights right up to the plants would be even worse then already stated. Any light becomes weaker the further it is away, right? I think side reflection is very important with LED's and all I see is peeps growing in the middle of their tents with the little wattage LED's and getting no benefit from the reflective tent.

It's kind of peculiar because the pistils are just so vibrantly white!. I'm guessing its genetics, but it could be spidermites though. on another note, what kind of nutrients are you using?

its from having the light to close to the bud it "bleaches" it... a friend of mine did that once..

Back
Top Bottom