Exhaust Fan Question

BestVoice

420 Member
Hello,
I have an exhaust fan (6") that has a speed controller. I would like to slow my fan even more than the controller allows. Can I add another controller in-line to further slow the fan?
THANKS

:welcome: to the forum...

It's definately not advisable. Fans need to run at a minimum speed to keep them going. You can buy a smaller fan, or install a bypass.

I had to downgrade from a 6” variable speed to a 4” variable speed. As it had too much air exchange going on.

It was making humidity really low. And temps too low!

4” on low speed is perfect from seed to flower for my 4x4 tent!

my tent is 2.5 x 2.5 and i have a 4” fan on 24/7 on lowest speed setting with controller and i feel thats its still pulling too much air but not a whole lot else i can do
A 'Tee' with a damper to pull air from outside the tent through the fan as well as that from inside the tent.

Adjustable vent covers on the intake can also do it.

You could also consider putting the fan on a timer. I have a 6 inch in my 5x5, and it runs on low for 3 minutes, then shuts off for 3 minutes. Keeps my temps perfect, and saves a little on power.

You could also consider putting the fan on a timer. I have a 6 inch in my 5x5, and it runs on low for 3 minutes, then shuts off for 3 minutes. Keeps my temps perfect, and saves a little on power.

Do you find you still get good life out of the fan doing that? I’d be concerned of excess wear with constant intermittent startups.

Mine also requires the unit is on its max setting for power on. Apparently starting in low, damages the motor:(

Do you find you still get good life out of the fan doing that? I’d be concerned of excess wear with constant intermittent startups.

Mine also requires the unit is on its max setting for power on. Apparently starting in low, damages the motor:(

It draws the same amount of power at start up, according to my Kil-a-wat, with or without the timer. I've seen expensive fans die in days, and el cheapos last years, and vise versa, there's really no guarantee with electronics. However, most motors can handle intermittent starts. I can say, it sounds fine at start up, no buzzing or groaning, like worn out/stressed motors sound. Also, I hope that if it does crap out, that it happens before the 5yr warranty expires! Ha!

Back
Top Bottom