Fanleaf's Huge 42 COB Array Build Plus Other Builds

420-magazine-mobile766713899.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1389692605.jpg

I have 32 x SST133's and about 56 feet of 1" angled aluminum and will be starting my next build of 32 Vero 29 D SE 4000k split in to 4 panels of 8 cobs and will be powered with 8 hlg 240h c1400b drivers for an 8x4x6.5.

I'm thinking about adding some of the meatchips in the mix when they become available as well.

You should do pretty good with many chips.

To be quite honest I hesitated to even come back to this thread " my thread" because of so much of the " professional" advice given the last 15-20 pages. To those who know no better some of this advice seems genius. To others they just shake their head and move on.
I'm in no way a know it all. But what I do know I share. Like 2 months ago when you didn't know how to calculate what Meanwell driver you needed for a bunch of different setups Jimmy. I must have calculated 15 different drivers out for you right? Every time you asked me "what driver would I need for this"? I did it. Then 1 month later you argue me when all the facts are on my side and I prove it by showing it.
Then after multiple failures of wiring a simple switch to run 2 cobs/ 4 cobs at the simple flick of a switch I draw it up for you and once again it works flawlessly.
Now, 2 more months and you have "ParHorta Horticultural Lighting Company"? Are you shitting me bro?
I see almost nothing but inefficient advice given. That is the exact opposite reason for my whole thread.
If people want to use as much or MORE power than hps then maybe that should be its own thread not this one.
Im not slamming Bridgelux or anything of the sort. I like them and they have their place. What I am slamming is companies now selling cob lights that advertise how much better their lights are and how efficient they are. Thats a bunch of bullshit. If a company wants to really sell "efficient" lights it wont be 2,4,6 chip units or tell someone they only need 10 cobs in a 5x5 area to smoke a hps in efficiency. Nope, because they want to sell their lights and the way they explain their lights to be soooo efficient a customer would need to put 3 times the chips in there to see the efficiency advertised.
Its all a bunch of lies from EVERYONE who sells cob arrays and I wont be a part of it. Instead, I build my own, put the extra money up to do it the way it really beats hps and offer the advice.
90% cant afford my advice and end up skimping. Thats fine, I dont care but I am in this to save $$ in the long run where the savings will be far greater in the end.
You get what you pay for plain and simple.

Love your setup. Want to build me one some day.. Im a newbie from sweden✌️

300v wire is good. My drivers are 10 to 15ft away, it was probably overkill but I ran 16 stranded. I got it on amazon the silicon jacket and its tinned, probably get it cheaper on eBay.
I'm currently looking into the same thing for my Vero's since I used 18awg solid core thermostat wire for the Cob to Cob and the remote leads that are probs about 10 feet and I'm guessing that was a piss poor decision -_-
I'm looking at this tho

Monoprice 104041 16AWG CL2 Rated 4-Conductor High-Purity Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Probably need at least 15' leads, would this stuff be appropriate?

Ok so I know I read it in here but 149 pages is just too big to find it again:lot-o-toke:

What wire type and size from the driver to the cobs (3 wires +, -, Ground about 10 feet) Cob to cob is 20 awg stranded or solid 600v or is 300v ok? Solid 600v is hard to find!

6 - Citizen Clu048-1212s on a hlg-320-c1400b.

300v 20awg solid is my choice. Since we are dealing with DC which the current tends to travel through the center of a core of wire I prefer solid 20awg. The losses are very very minuscule with it. Far less than 1% in most all installs. I also like the solid wire because it form fits wherever you bend it.
I usually buy huge bulk from this guy. I use this wire for work also so I order it in 600ft spools at a time.
20 AWG Gauge Solid Hook Up Wire Violet 100 ft 0.0320" UL1007 300 Volts

I hate trimming. Had enough few weeks back. Seems like eBay best place to get wire.

Yeah. My local grow shop rents out a fancy $5000 machine they have for $300 per day. They say it does 5lbs in about 20 minutes. I also have one of the hand crank trimming units but it's still new in the box because I can't talk myself into trusting it.

Maybe when I fill the room with plants and have 3-5 pounds to trim the $300 rental would be worth it but I would like to see how good of a job it does first.

That's why I've never got one yet either. Too many what ifs

Well hell. Maybe I should do a video review of mine so we can all see the differences between hand trimming and the crank bowl. I would wet trim for sure. I wouldn't want dry trichomes busting off all over in the bowl while it gets beat up.

300v 20awg solid is my choice. Since we are dealing with DC which the current tends to travel through the center of a core of wire I prefer solid 20awg. The losses are very very minuscule with it. Far less than 1% in most all installs. I also like the solid wire because it form fits wherever you bend it.
I usually buy huge bulk from this guy. I use this wire for work also so I order it in 600ft spools at a time.
20 AWG Gauge Solid Hook Up Wire Violet 100 ft 0.0320" UL1007 300 Volts
Thanks Fan:

20 awg solid 300v is easy to get. What about the pigtail to the driver ~10 feet? I mean it probably really does not matter much over such a short run. I have 3-18 awg stranded.

Back
Top Bottom