Fanleaf's Huge 42 COB Array Build Plus Other Builds

420-magazine-mobile663821546.jpg

4 down and only 28 more to go! Now that I've finally nailed the measurements for tapping the mounting holes this is a lot easier lol

Hey Canna, how'd you get your setup looking so good. I finally received my order and tried to put it together this weekend but it was a mess. I chewed thru 2-3 angles and couldn't get my drilled holes to align properly. I used #10 32 machine screw & bolts , but my 4x2 array felt loose and flimsy. =0( I ended up getting the 6061 t6 aluminum angle for its strength but its rounded corners make it a b itch to work with. Maybe the 6063 is a better choice since it has square corners. I'm just afraid its not as strong.

Any tips on how you manged to get it done. I was thinking of using 1/4" rivets for my next attempt and possibly a drill press. There's got to be a better way to align the holes and streamline this process.

Fanleaf, buck, canna, you guys rock!! I thought this would be easier, but man this build kicked my a ss. Not giving up tho. I'll get it together and post some pics when I get the chance.

Hey Canna, how'd you get your setup looking so good. I finally received my order and tried to put it together this weekend but it was a mess. I chewed thru 2-3 angles and couldn't get my drilled holes to align properly. I used #10 32 machine screw & bolts , but my 4x2 array felt loose and flimsy. =0( I ended up getting the 6061 t6 aluminum angle for its strength but its rounded corners make it a b itch to work with. Maybe the 6063 is a better choice since it has square corners. I'm just afraid its not as strong.

Any tips on how you manged to get it done. I was thinking of using 1/4" rivets for my next attempt and possibly a drill press. There's got to be a better way to align the holes and streamline this process.

Fanleaf, buck, canna, you guys rock!! I thought this would be easier, but man this build kicked my a ss. Not giving up tho. I'll get it together and post some pics when I get the chance.
Best way to get holes perfect is to clamp the two pieces of angle aluminum together and drill the hole through them both at the same time. That's how I do it and I use the quarter inch aluminum rivets with great success.

Hey Fan, did you ever decide to freeze dry your entire harvest with that food dehydrator? Did you notice a difference? Taste? Smoke? etc between that and just hanging it??

Man I chewed threw a few on my first build and still didn't get the measurements down lol I think the center's are 10" x 9.5 so definitely off a few ;)

Second build I layed it all out and measured everything with how the rails would sit, threw heatsinks on and measured everything to make sure it was all 1' apart and marked it all and slept on it.

The next day (after redoing math) I had to make slight adjustments but then when I was happy I cut my metal and build the main square frames then took the rails and set them in where they should sit and took heatsinks and stuck one in each end to make sure it was flush and marked all the rails and drilled the holes to mount the rails.

Then I started with one rail, set the heatsinks up and measured them all 1' apart, marked them out and build a caveman measuring tool that was a extra small bit of aluminum and marked exactly where the hole for the heat sinks liked it and used that to line up with the top Mark's on the frame.
420-magazine-mobile711995.jpg

So as long as my frame was flat on my table I could easily mark the holes.
By the 4th panel I was so sick of building I rushed and ended up making a few extra holes and having to do a tonne of adjustments after the initial drill.

Mainly it pays to measure multiple times, and also helps to know how far to the edge of your frame to the center of the cob (in my case 2.5") that really helped with how much room I was working with. Because Fan said 6" from the side I gave myself 3.5" so my extra 2.5" made it 6" then my panels are 7" apart because 2.5" from each panel makes 1' to keep cob spacing nuts on.

I used 1/8" x 1" angled aluminum but used a lighter gauge on the end caps of my first build because I chewed threw them and cut them too short and it was the only thing I had on hand. It definitely gets easier as you go man stay positive and motivated \m/

Also another trick (think Fan originally posted it) once you get the 1st rail in, unscrew the heatsinks from the fr side a d take you rail with you heatsinks attached and set them aside while working on your second rail.
That made my life so much easier the second time around!

These last several posts are great reads for people. It always sucks to have messups but its usually inevitable. On the otherhand its nice when people can learn from others to help minimize those inevitable mishaps. I love seeing all your builds on here. Very cool.

These last several posts are great reads for people. It always sucks to have messups but its usually inevitable. On the otherhand its nice when people can learn from others to help minimize those inevitable mishaps. I love seeing all your builds on here. Very cool.
I appreciate you starting this thread! You've been a huge inspiration to myself and many others. I've learned a lot from hours of pouring over these pages and scouring over you're almost mythical understanding of these builds. Thank you for sharing the knowledge \m/

Hey Fan, did you ever decide to freeze dry your entire harvest with that food dehydrator? Did you notice a difference? Taste? Smoke? etc between that and just hanging it??
I have freeze dried quite a bit of a LSD-25 strain I had. It is the most flavor filled smoke Ive tasted. I havent freeze dried my latest harvest Im still trimming just because its in my "grams per watt" journal and to keep anything from being too controversial I decided a normal dry/cure is what I should do with that grow. I have freeze dried all the good trim from the harvest and made some great hash with it though. I will be also freeze drying at least half of another harvest so I get a side by side comparison vs normal cure.
The crazy thing is the freeze dried bud just looks so dang good. It looks like fresh cut bud but its dry, flavorful and smooth. Im thinking I'll do a youtube series on it at some point.

DrZiggy and some others have also been doing a "low and slow" cure, by sticking the fresh harvest in a frost-free fridge for a couple weeks. They say the terps are amazing. :cheesygrinsmiley:

After its being hanging to dry? What Temp on the fridge?

I'm pretty sure they do it without any pre-drying - fridge in the low 40s degrees, RH in the 40s ...

Was your heatsinks drilled for the citizens, mine have a bunch of holes already tapped, but not sure what they fit besides Cree and only 2 holes for veros. I could only put 2 screws in my chips.

That's a good looking pattern

Yes, there are a bunch of holes drilled and tapped and two of them line up for the Ideal 50-2204ct holders.

I don't have a meter but the plants under the DIY part of my current grow seem well balanced.

That's great. Seems like that pattern should mix good. 4x6 is about perfect, I'm using 5x5, wish it was 4x6, easier to get to back of tent

My arms are not long enough - still hard to reach the back corners. :hug:

If I could have fit it in my room I would go with a 3x8 and sliding doors.

Back
Top Bottom