Fearing The Message

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
The Victoria BC Police Department, an organization that should be known for its bravery, exhibited a rather extreme act of cowardice recently.

David Bratzer, who volunteers with the group Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP) while off-duty, has been ordered not to speak at an official City of Victoria-sponsored event on harm reduction scheduled for this Wednesday, March 3 at 7:00 P.M.

Even though the event is scheduled outside of his regular work hours, management from the Victoria Police Department, without Bratzer’s knowledge, informed city staff that he was being withdrawn from speaking. Then on February 24, a senior officer at the department directly ordered Bratzer not to participate in the event.

In response to these developments, Bratzer stated: “I will not be attending this event, but I would like to thank the City of Victoria for the invitation to be part of an honest and open discussion about harm reduction. I will try to find other venues to present my views about drug policy.”

Upon learning of the department’s order, the British Columbia Civil Liberties Association filed a complaint with the Victoria Police Board.

Bratzer has always taken pains to state that his opinions are his own and do not reflect the views of his employer. He has participated in a number of credible venues related to drug policy during the past year, including delivering testimony to the Senate Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs in Ottawa.

“The voices of front-line officers who are charged with enforcing the drug laws are incredibly important to the public debate on drug policy issues,” said Jack Cole, a retired American undercover narcotics detective who serves as executive director for LEAP. “Preventing an officer from sharing his firsthand perspective about the harms of our current drug laws with policymakers is a disservice to the entire democratic process.”

Action Alert: LEAP has a petition to show your support for cops like David.

Here is the BC Civil Liberties Association press release:

The BCCLA is concerned that the Victoria Police Department is taking an unduly punitive and anti-free speech position without justification. [...] Where an off-duty communication by a member is a critique or endorsement of government or department policy, and it is not stated or implied in that communication that the member is unable or unwilling to enforce the law impartially and according to his or her statutory and professional duties, it is inappropriate for a police department to interfere with that communication.

It’s fear, pure and simple. This action by the Police Department isn’t about policy, or about protecting the reputation of the department. It’s about fearing the message. Period.

We’re a scary bunch. ‘Cause we bring facts that upset the apple cart.

NewsHawk: User: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: Drug WarRant
Copyright: 2010 Drug WarRant

I signed,,,Next? :roorrip:

But you can still sign right?? lol :roorrip:

I signed,,,Next? :roorrip:

Done. I am also a donating member of LEAP. I encourage others to do the same.

There are only 899 signatures on this petition. That is part of the problem. Any member of this site who is not also a member of NORML, MPP, SAFER, LEAP, or other anti-prohibition organization, needs to take a good look in the mirror as they are part of the problem. Get involved or STFU.

Signed, hope it helps.

Ok people I was number 970. We have to get our voices heard dam it!!! I challenge everyone to sign this petition!! We are never going to get this done if we don't speak up for ourselves and each other. I would love to trust our LEO's unfortunately we cannot due to the fact that ALL OF US do something that is harm to no one, yet will land your ass in some serious hot water. We ALL need to sign this in support of the good thoughtful police officers everywhere. I know that there are LEO's ON this web site(why wouldn't there be?) Guess what we don't hate you, we just don't want or believe in the laws concerning these drugs and the resulting loss of freedom from the enforcement of said laws. I am not a criminal because I want to change the way I feel!!! That is all it comes down to. I hope you LEO's(law enforcement officers) realize that we as a community(cannibis users) are not your enemies,and could be your allies in protecting our great nation(I personally was a marine). I signed this petition in solidarity (yes I'm in a union) with the Honorable and Brave LEO's who see the truth and want to speak up for it !! Let's show them we do not want LEO's as enemies , only as allies in protecting everyone out there who cannot protect them selves. I do not need protection from myself !!!((drug laws))!!!

I just e-mailed Victoria's police department in support of David Bratzer and LEAP !! I sincerely hope everyone who reads this will do the same but I doubt it!(lackadaisical pot heads) and yes that was a taunt to get off your asses and at least sign the petition and e-mail your support for him to them. Come on we really have to speak up people, let your voice be heard!! It only took me like five minutes to do both things and I hunt and peck, not really type so it wont take that much time if you can type!!

I myself would have attended and spoke no matter what the Brass told me.
I mean what are they gonna do?
Fire Him?

Yes, for insubordination. IMO he's going about it in the right way. Hopefully everyone will have a voice when it involves issues like this regardless of where they work.

It would be hugh for a judge(arbitrator) to rule that the officer had the right to express opinion on politic/enforcement issues.

I was #1140, maybe people here are making a difference. I learned of this today and signed immediately.

thanks 420warrior, We all need to stand up for ourselves and each other.
Maybe User can change the tag line to this story to get it read more, something like " silencing the right to free speach" hopefully this story will spark peoples minds and ambitions a little. We all need to do something. Talk to your parents,friends, co-workers,grandparents, aunts ,uncles,nieces. Notice that I stressed family? that was on purpose.you can talk frankly with them and hopefully they won't close their minds and mouths to you. You will hone your argument with people who trust and respect you and will be better prepared to talk to others outside your circle. The other day my union rep came to the job. After talking to him about the jobless situation and what can be done about it, I brought up MMJ and how it relates to on the job injuries(get hurt, go to clinic, get drug tested, positive drug screen=NO Benefits(workers comp))
He said that is something that the union needs to set a policy on and get the contractors to agree on(AFTER ALL IT IS LEGAL , MMJ THAT IS)). I stressed to him that we need to be in front of this issue not behind it( it is far easier to act then be able to re-act, rather than just having to re-act to it to begin with.
WE NEED TO SPEAK UP PEOPLE, WE WILL BE HEARD EVENTUALLY!!

Well said ilynnboy, and great idea to start with talking to family. If everyone was as passionate about this issue as you it would already be legal. All the polls say that marijuana is gaining in popularity or at least acceptance, but the problem is there is no platform to be truly heard and not judged by conservative MISINFORMED people. All the damage done by the governments campaign to villianize marijuana won't be easy to overcome, but it will never happen it we don't stand up and make ourselves heard! :peace:

....Maybe User can change the tag line to this story to get it read more, something like " silencing the right to free speach" .....

i see lots of titles that i don't like. for example i hate the ones that say 'pot shop' instead of 'Medical Cannabis Dispensary'. i don't change them for a couple of reasons. first is because we're posting someone elses work and they deserve to have their work respected even if i don't agree with their title. if its too bad of a title i just don't post the article (i don't remember this happening though), and the content in such an article probably wouldn't be usable anyway. also the title reflects the attitude of the author and can bring us some insight into where they are coming from.

Thanks for the info about the titles user. I guess I will have to keep commenting on this article to keep it current ,so it well be better read by all who care about it.

The truth is getting out from the internet to many households. The truth that Cannabis is a great medicine gets told to new people every day. Old folks are using it more since it is cheap (if you grow it yourself) and they can not afford the pills the doctors regularly write up. They feel they have nothing to lose. IF they ever got caught, they would get it tossed out if they said it was strictly for medicine. What jury is going to convict a 70 year old once they know? The judges should be tossing these cases as it is. The truth that Cannabis is mostly harmless is also making the rounds. Books have come out on specifically the topic of Cannabis VS Alcohol to prove the relative safety of Cannabis. The truth will not be stopped, the best the prohibitionists can hope for is to drag it out as long as possible.

Back
Top Bottom