Female vs male.

wants_togrow

germinating seeds rights now, i can tell the differance in the two when they grow but what do I do with them. i Know the fmale pollinates but what do I do with it? What use is the female at all?

Getting a female is the goal for any grow. A female plant is the only plant that producers flowers/buds. Male plants pollinate the female, then the female concentrates more on producing seeds than making new flowers, thus your crop goes to waste. This is why its key to get rid of males once sex is determined. Males are of no use and only cause problems, unless your breeding.

For the grower that just seeks smoke, you want to avoid pollination. That is why you cut the males and leave the females to flower. Sex can only be determined once the plant has reached sexual maturity and the light cycle switched to 12/12 light/dark schedule.

well to answer your question i am 20 years old but im just getting into all of this. i just like to read alot about it and i have high goals for myself

put the pollen on the pistols? which time is approriate for that? I have read for hours but its the small things that I cant find,
THANKS AGAiN

I would suggest forgetting about breeding seeds for the moment. Your more immediate needs are medium, pots, lights, and a decision on grow method. If you recall, I sent you a link to the current grow journals so you could see images and posts on the very thing you are asking. Please have a quick look at these sites and I think you will find all your answers. You need to keep things nice and simple for your very first grow. I can see you are eager and that is a great start. Here is the link again. Grow Journals
Check out the thread by Mota. It is a 5 star thread and a very good one for you to follow. Good luck

The best way to anwser your questions is to search and look around on the boards, lots and lots of info through out these forums.

Man im tired of falling asleep with my laptop in bed on thhis forum. So once you have the seeds planted and the sex is determined what would the normal person do with them...how and why please.

Pots with soil
The most beautiful, the best, the most natural and easiest medium. Use well pre-fertilized potting soil, fill the pots to about three quarters of their volume with this soil, fill up the remaining quarter with sowing/germinating soil. Press the combined content of the pot to an even surface to prevent the water from flushing away the seeds while watering (use a small watering-can or sprayer). Plant the seeds 0.5 to 1 cm deep. Preferably use disposable plastic pots, from which you cut out the bottom later on to allow for a smooth transient to the slab or bigger pot later on

Make sure you choose a sowing/germinating soil which contains a lot of fine sand. Masonry sand or sand for playgrounds as an addition is just fine. Too many fibres cause problems with germinating. If you want to be absolutely sure and create an optimum chance for each seed, sieve the soil mixture before use! The aril (seed cover) and the film which envelopes the seed should remain in the medium when the seeds germinates. Too light a soil will hamper this process. Keep your water to pH 6.3, and keep the seedlings humid, but not TOO wet. A fine water sprayer works miracles here. Make sure the seedlings receive FULL light when they germinate and leave it like that for at least 20 hours the first couple of days. Make sure your tube lights hang as close to the seedlings as possible (a couple of centimeters)! A 400 watt lamp can be hung as low as 45 cm and a 600 watt lamp as low as 55 cm.

Don't be afraid, the seedlings can very well handle this, even though a good movement of air underneath the lamp is very important (ventilator!).

Make sure you spray in time, until the hull, that may come up when the seed germinates, has dropped off, as well as the protective film which envelopes the seed. This is necessary to prevent the hull and protective film to dry out, which sometimes result in sticking to the germinating seedling, which as a consequence, is hampered in it's development. Stop spraying water when all seedlings are overground, too allow for your seedlings to work at maximum efficiency underground. Offering too much humidity to the leaf often results in a less developed.
Your next job is to determine what lamp you need to suit your grow set up. For that you will need to do that reading I refeered you to.
And please forget about sexing your seeds. There is no way to determine sex of a plant until flowering has been induced. That stage is weeks ahead of you. Concentrate on your medium and lights for now.

"Make sure the seedlings receive FULL light when they germinate and leave it like that for at least 20 hours the first couple of days." i read to germinate in darkness with a damp napkin. are you now telling me to apply light to the seeds? Sorry man im just learning. I bought a couple different bulbs, soils, and nutes tonight that i would like to talk to you about when you get a chance. once again thank you

Im not sure if youve gotten it or not yet but you want a female plant if you want to smoke anything. Males are worthless as far as smoking goes. Females grow buds. If youve ever smoked weed before, you know what a bud is. Its the thing you smoke. Youre not smoking a wad of leaves. If you are, however, you have to learn a bit more before hoping into growing. The term "seedling" refers to the plant in its baby stage, after it comes out of the soil. It will start with 2 egg shaped leaves and then start with the typical leaves of the cannabis plant. When there are leaves and a stem, after just being put in the soil or being a seed, its a seedling. People say put the seeds in a wet napkin and in a dark place because the roots of a marijuana plant are very sensitive to light. When the seed breaks open, a root will go one direction and the leaves will go the other. You dont need light on your seeds. Once they have leaves they need light and hopefully by that time they have established a root and are standing up out of the soil.

"Make sure the seedlings receive FULL light when they germinate and leave it like that for at least 20 hours the first couple of days." i read to germinate in darkness with a damp napkin. are you now telling me to apply light to the seeds? Sorry man im just learning. I bought a couple different bulbs, soils, and nutes tonight that i would like to talk to you about when you get a chance. once again thank you

Moose was speaking with regards to germinating in the soil, in which case you should light the potted seeds because this will provide warmth and encourage them to grow up out of the soil and towards the light source. Because the roots will be sheilded by the soil they will emerge away from the light as normal.

However, if you are germinating using the bag method (my personal choice) then you want to put the bag with the seeds in it in a warm dark place. This will allow the seeds to crack and sprouts to form before you put them in the pot. Light will discourage the seed cracking using this method because the bag will allow light in and onto the emerging taproot, and remember, roots hate light. I prefer this method because you not only know which seeds are good before you pot them but which direction to plant them to make it the easiest for the plants roots to set. Once you have a sprout it's easy to tell which end should be pointing down and which end goes up.

These are just two different methods and one is no better than the other. Some people just pop the seeds in the soil while others take the extra step to germinate using the bag method or submerging the seeds in water. It's all personal preference and I think you will do fine if you just keep doing what you have been doing so far.

Back
Top Bottom