Few questions for my first grow

nocmonkey

Ive been reading a lot, this place has a ton of information and I am ready to start my first grow, But there is still a few thing I dont feel quite confident about yet.

I start with my setup,

note-starting with 4 feminized lowryders

I have a 2'x3'x5' tent (about) with 2 flapped vents on the side and in the back along the bottom , 1 ventilation hole about 4" diameter on the side close to the bottom, 1 exhaust hole (4")on the back side near the top and , 1 (4") exhaust hole in the top/roof

1 400w HPS light

1 "Magic Aero 4" bucket (5 gallon bucket with holes in the top that the plants row in that waters the roots of the plants directly ) +rockwool, nutes and PH kit

The whole thing is in a non heated, enclosed outside patio, with large windows i can open and close.

So far I have left one large window open

Ive had it up for 3 days (without the bucket) and The temperatures so far have been an average of 100 degrees directly under the light and 95 at the top of the tank with the outside temperature ranging from 30-65 Fahrenheit.

I am planning on buying only 1 exhaust fan and putting a carbon filter on it, but I have a few questions

-Do I need a centrifugal fan? Or can I get a cheap duct fan and just have an ordinary window fan blowing in from the bottom vents as well?

-Should I have the fans on a temperature switch or on all the time ?

-Should the exhaust fan with the carbon filter be at the top or bottom of the tent?

-any other suggestions at all?

Any and all help is appreciated

Thanks,

I would put and "ordinary" fan in the tend blowing towards the plants. Next leave the fans running 24/7. You want the exhaust fan at the top of that tent, especially with 100 degree temps. Try that on a dry run and see what temp you are at. If you can cool your hood that would help a ton! filter-ducking-in hood -out hood - fan - out of tent... If you needed two fans then one for carbon filter and other for hood. Hope that is somewhat helpful.

I would put and "ordinary" fan in the tend blowing towards the plants. Next leave the fans running 24/7. You want the exhaust fan at the top of that tent, especially with 100 degree temps. Try that on a dry run and see what temp you are at. If you can cool your hood that would help a ton! filter-ducking-in hood -out hood - fan - out of tent... If you needed two fans then one for carbon filter and other for hood. Hope that is somewhat helpful.

Thanks, this is quite helpful, it sounds like i should break down and buy a second fan but thats ok because it sounds like I dont need the thermostat switch and that will offset the cost.

Im slightly confused about what a "hood" is, is that part of the All In One lights?..possibly because I failed to mention that the light fixture is separate from the ballast (ballast is on the ground inside the tent)

Or by hood do you mean the top of the light?...i just looked and it looks like there is 2 holes where I can probably mount a fan..

What type of fans should I go with?...these "centrifugal" and "vortex" fans I see cost almost $100, while regular duct fans cost like 15 bucks..30 if you want it to come with a plug.

100 % is way too hot !! Run some ducting from your light out of the tent and place an inline fan in the ducting to either draw or push the hot air out you'l also need something to blow air into the tent . Plus make sure the water in your res is kept cool (60s) If your water gets too hot it will cause other problems, so keep air temp no hotter than 80s and water in the 60s. Once your temps are in control you'l have a lot less problems. :peace: don't forget to check out our fine tutorials !! Look for a post by Roseman and click on any of his tutorials !! a great place to start !! good luck

Usually doing nothing my water temp is mid 60s, if when the weather changes and it gets hotter, you can place frozen bottles of water around the res with a fan blowing. Under really bad constantly hot conditions you'd need a chiller. I don't know anything about them but thats what others have had to use under adverse conditions. :peace:

SO I got the Temperature down and is sitting in the high 70s to low 80s.

How often am I supposed to keep the water running 24x7?

the irrigation is via a sprinkler head inside the 5 gal bucket hitting the net baskets with my hydro rocks and rockwool

Really a sprinkler head ! Usually a little drip manifold is used with little 3/8 " hoses going to but up against the rockwool cube, just a little drip ! enough to keep the rockwool wet not running with water so I'm not sure if I got this right!? Please go check out Rosemans DIY for Deep Water Culture just click on the name Roseman and that will take you to his name where you can click on any of numserous threads !! He will show you with pics and drawings top notch shit!! :peace:

Do you have a bubblestone in there ? And are you really running a sprinkler in there ?! Do yourself a big favor and check out Rosemans tutorials on how to set up a bubble system. Just search for Roseman and click on one of his tutorials right under his name !! :peace:

Usually doing nothing my water temp is mid 60s, if when the weather changes and it gets hotter, you can place frozen bottles of water around the res with a fan blowing. Under really bad constantly hot conditions you'd need a chiller. I don't know anything about them but thats what others have had to use under adverse conditions. :peace:

Good 2 know. Thanks +rep 4 you :D

Really a sprinkler head ! Usually a little drip manifold is used with little 3/8 " hoses going to but up against the rockwool cube, just a little drip ! enough to keep the rockwool wet not running with water so I'm not sure if I got this right!? Please go check out Rosemans DIY for Deep Water Culture just click on the name Roseman and that will take you to his name where you can click on any of numserous threads !! He will show you with pics and drawings top notch shit!! :peace:

Yeah its a sprinkler, underneath the the lid of the bucket. it doesnt spray much, and most of the spray is blocked by the hydro rocks so the rockwool is just damp...I was more worried about a not enough water more than to much..I will keep an eye on the wool and it it starts getting soggy ill put the sprinkler on a timer until I can put together a drip solution...I should be able to set one up using the pump I have and the right tubing.

Just check out Rosemans thread he shows every little piece you'd need and complete directions for the whole setup cheap and easy !! Sounds like you've got it under controll but it doesn't hurt to check out a few threads. Watch your nutes too a little goes a long way at the beginning .. :peace:

What's wrong with fans running 24/7?

Im 13 days in and I think everything is going good. But I ran into an unexpected issue...the root system is amazing....the plants have a think root system that is almost 2 feet long, and are now IN the water reservoir, Is it ok for them to be submerged? Is it ok to trim them?..

Back
Top Bottom