few questions?

moe323

i just have a few questions hoping someone can help. wonding what size light should be used in a 5 foot x 5 foot room. 6 foot high. was thinking maybe a 600hps. under the light will be 4 tubs all with 2 plants in each tub. unless someone can convince me that it will be to crampped. also has anyone had any eperience with heat rope's for keeping the growing medium warm? the plants will be in coco-pearl. also i know this is an almost impossiable question to answer. but what have other people's yeilds been from a 600 watt light? just trying to work out if it is worth my while in power to run the 600 watt light.

Well if you try to meet the rule of thumb of 50watts per square foot you would require 1250 watts. With a 600 you will average 24 watts per square foot and while this will sustain life and promote small growths, more light would be better. Maybe a 600 with a 4 foot light rail that way your light can travel across and give better penetration to your babies. It truly depends on how well you can control your enviroment. I run a 1k on a rail in a 20 square foot room with good results. I have 50watts per square foot exactly.

And before anyone says anything...I know watage is a poor measurer of the amount of light (lumens) a grow needs but I've used this 50watts PSF for years and know it's a good ratio to work with and is easy for new growers to understand.
A old moderator I once knew made up a light size per screen size for scrog which works the same for room size. He used a light meter and determined the maximum size of light can effectively light up an area for growing.

150hps screen/room size 1.75ft x 1.75ft

250hps screen/room size 2.25ft x 2.25ft

400hps screen/room size 2.91ft x 2.75ft

600hps screen/room size 3.45ft x 3.45ft

1000hps screen/room size 4.4ft x 4.5ft

Any bigger of an area and you lose effective penetration of the light from trying to cover the canopy.

In a 5x5x6 I'd go 400 or 600W. Done the 600W in a 4x4 B4 works great. Although ventilation must be A1 or you'll definitely have heat issues in such a small space. It depends on how tall the plants are when ur set them to flower to say how cramped it'll be, keep us posted. Never used heat ropes but anxious to hear ur report on their performance. In a 4x4 w/15 plants not know anything, pulled between a qp and a 1/2 p in a 4x4x7 don't remember exact weight.

ok. thanks for that tink i will go with the 600 watt light. has anyone had any experience with the digital ballests for hps lights? are they worth the extra $$$. and has anyone tried the strain purple urkle? have decided to try a cycle of 12 plants in a tub. growing from seedling size. straight under 12\12 lights. will be starting 1st tub then after 2 weeks will be starting another tub and so on so i have 4 cycles under the same light. after doing 4 cycles i will see what the results are and see if it is worth doing it this way. and comments for or agianst this are good.

Back
Top Bottom