Figuring Out How To Build A Really Big Marijuana Business

Jacob Redmond

With an MBA from Dartmouth’s Tuck School and entrepreneurial success already under his belt, British-born Tim Moxey saw the cannabusiness tidal wave coming to Washington state and thought, “Why not me?” Now he’s got 35 employees at Botanica Seattle making pot-infused cookies, chocolates, mints and more for 120 stores in the state.

Moxey investigated three businesses in legalized marijuana: growing it, processing it into products, and selling it at retail shops. “Growing pot can be hard and the number of licenses and their square footage was capped at a certain amount,” he said, and retail store licenses could only be gained through the lottery system, so he decided to start a processing business. “With processing you can go for the largest scale operation because there is no limit to the number of cookies, candies, and other products you can manufacture,” he said.

Moxey teamed up with a friend from business school, Chris Abbott, who had worked for a hedge fund in New York and then had created a wine storage business in Seattle. Moxey and Abbott share the title of CEO which works well for the pair. “If we both think an idea is good or bad, we make the decision,” said Moxey, “If we disagree we look into it more closely until one can convince the other.”

From the start, the founders agreed that one way to succeed in the burgeoning market was to commandeer as much shelf space as possible in retail stores, and then to defend the shelf space against other brands that would be entering the market. That strategy means the 35 employees are cranking out 25 separate products including four flavors of cookies (made from either Sativa or Indica strains of marijuana) at different potencies, as well as chocolates, mints, brownies, and personal lubricant.

The entrepreneurs weren’t sure if pot store customers would be hipsters, soccer moms, or retirees but, “Amid all the unknown, there was one thing we did know; anyone shopping in a pot shop was looking to buy something with pot in it,” Abbott said. Consequently, their “SPOT” line of products was designed to be a utilitarian brand with a clean design and clear messaging. Packaging generally states the number of items and the THC level in a bold readable font, highlighted in a large colored circle for example, showing 6 Sativa Cookies with 10Mg THC each. “The goal for the brand was for it to feel just at home in Seattle as it would in Tulsa,” said Abbott.

Botanica Seattle has grown quickly and recently moved from a 3,000 square foot production area to a 16,000 foot facility. “It was just bonkers before,” said Moxey, “We couldn’t meet demand in 3,000 square feet.” In the new facility, an open warehouse space, stations to create different products are mostly on wheels, so they can be moved as orders for one or another product come in.

Looking to the future, the Botanica Seattle team sees two groups emerging, a high-end customer who is willing to pay more for top shelf products, and another segment who wants to get high without spending much money. As they plans the expansion of their product lines, the entrepreneurs plan to serve both.

No matter who he is creating them for, Moxey said he generally keeps the THC potency of his products low because, he wants his customers to enjoy their experience and come back for more. “People aren’t going to eat half of a cookie or chocolate,” he said.

15672.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Figuring Out How To Build A Really Big Marijuana Business
Author: Julie Weed
Photo Credit: WGEM News

All I want for Christmas is a big box of chocolates, LOL

Down here in Georgia we don't have access to "edibles" so I've never in my life ingested Cannabis, only smoked or vaped it. I've always wanted to eat something infused with Cannabis to see what it's like. Maybe my next driving job will take me out to Colorado so I can get something edible to try?

Here in Georgia it's viewed as wasteful to cook with Cannabis because we don't have access to that much of it all the time, so we tend to be very conservative with our smoke.

Maybe one day that'll change? It may be another 70 years here and I'll probably be long dead but maybe I'll live to see laws changed here so we too can enjoy the finer things in life like edible Cannabis products?...Sigh...? :icon_roll :rollingeyes:

All I want for Christmas is a big box of chocolates, LOL

Down here in Georgia we don't have access to "edibles" so I've never in my life ingested Cannabis, only smoked or vaped it. I've always wanted to eat something infused with Cannabis to see what it's like. Maybe my next driving job will take me out to Colorado so I can get something edible to try?

Here in Georgia it's viewed as wasteful to cook with Cannabis because we don't have access to that much of it all the time, so we tend to be very conservative with our smoke.

Maybe one day that'll change? It may be another 70 years here and I'll probably be long dead but maybe I'll live to see laws changed here so we too can enjoy the finer things in life like edible Cannabis products?...Sigh...? :icon_roll :rollingeyes:

I hope you and I both make it to complete legalization nationwide my friend. It will not take 70 years, it is going to happen and it is just around the corner. More and more people are waking up to the truth and when enough have seen the truth, our voice in Washington DC will be so loud that even corporate lobbyists will not be able to drowned us out.

If your truck driving ever takes you out to Oregon, let me know and I will give you the bud so you can "waste it" on edibles. I am serious, I think everyone should have equal opportunities to find out what way to medicates best for them, and if finding bud in your neck of the woods is difficult, and you happen to be in my neck of the woods, just say the word. In Oregon it is completely legal to give away bud so no laws would be violated by it.

Keep the faith my friend, the day is coming and we will get to see it, not as young as we would like, but we will see it.

I hope you and I both make it to complete legalization nationwide my friend. It will not take 70 years, it is going to happen and it is just around the corner. More and more people are waking up to the truth and when enough have seen the truth, our voice in Washington DC will be so loud that even corporate lobbyists will not be able to drowned us out.

If your truck driving ever takes you out to Oregon, let me know and I will give you the bud so you can "waste it" on edibles. I am serious, I think everyone should have equal opportunities to find out what way to medicates best for them, and if finding bud in your neck of the woods is difficult, and you happen to be in my neck of the woods, just say the word. In Oregon it is completely legal to give away bud so no laws would be violated by it.

Keep the faith my friend, the day is coming and we will get to see it, not as young as we would like, but we will see it.

Thank you brother, I'll certainly take you up on that too if and when I ever get back out there. I loved the people out there in Oregon, some of the nicest people I've ever met, in fact almost everywhere I ever went out west was like that, I just felt so welcomed in with open arms and so much brotherly love. Forget about "southern hospitality" it really doesn't hold a candle to "western hospitality" and I know because I've seen and felt it for myself.

A little off topic I know, but let me share this little story with you guys anyway..The last time I was out in Oregon, I was a fairly new to truck driving and I almost lost my life going over the pass on Cabbage Patch Mountain (Big Ass Hill) in a big ice storm, my truck was slipping and sliding all over the place and my trailer kept trying to jack knife and switch ends with my tractor and I was praying for my very life and calling out on my CB radio begging for someone to help me, when an old driver, probably in his mid 70's or so? Got on his radio and calmed me down and taught me what to do to straighten out my rig and safely guided me down the mountain. when we finally got stopped at the bottom we both went into a small truck stop and had a cup of coffee together and talked for hours and that's something that I'll never forget. The kindness of people like that and other people I met out there as well, never ceases to amaze me and it has changed my life forever. To this day I try to pay things like that forward and give back every chance I get.

I hope your right brother, I have seen all my life that things always seem start out west then move to the northeast then finally trickle down here to the southeast part of the country. I don't really know why it happens that way but that's the way things usually go so. It's slowly but surely coming our way. It's just a matter of time and patience at this point but never the less, I will still keep fighting and getting the word out in my own little way to help things along. I can tell by how receptive people are when I bring up Cannabis legalization out in public with strangers that changes are right around the corner and it's just a waiting game at this point.

Back
Top Bottom