First Deep Water Culture Grow: 4x4x6.5 Tent | 400w mh/hps | NL + Big Buddha Bubble Cheese

geeklife

Greetings Deep Water Culture! I'm new to these forums and to the growing world in general. I became interested in growing for several reasons. It's a pragmatic choice for me, given the large quantities I smoke on a regular basis. Plus, there are several patients throughout my family who would benefit from having a reliable source close to home. I've also become very uncomfortable with the idea that I don't know how/where/what the product I am buying came from. I dread to think that my money is ultimately going in the pocket of a violent drug gang, or to someone who is dealing drugs to kids. Can't support that. I'm also intrigued by the science of it all, and I kind of see my first grow as a little science project/intellectual exercise to keep the ol' brain sharp.

Not having a viable outdoor grow area, indoor is my only option. Then the choice was between soil or hydro. I chose hydro because it seems like the grower has more control over the crop that way. Plus, I'm also a bit of a gear whore and I like things that click and whiz when you wind them up or plug them in. I definitely looked into the different hydroponic systems out there, and in my research, discovered Deep Water Culture and the forums here at this website, and to make a long story short, you all have convinced me that Deep Water Culture is the way to go. So thanks, I think!

Enough with the preamble, let's get down to details. As it happens, I live in a rented apartment in a densely populated area. I live by myself and am fortunate enough to have a spare bedroom where I can grow. The room sits in the back of a 1st floor apartment, which is to say that room is not on the street. The area directly outside that room's window is pretty much only accessible by my landlord and/or his associates. So while the number of people who have window access to my grow room is limited, I wouldn't consider any of them friendly to my grow and controlling odor is of utmost concern. As for my neighbors, everyone in my building is a verified smoker, so I'm not worried about them smelling pot and calling the cops. Nonetheless, the less they know the better.

Rather then using the closet or the spare bedroom itself, I decided to opt for a grow tent, mostly for portability reasons. I went with the Secret Jardin DR120. It measures 4'x4'x6.5' and occupies roughly 1/4 of the room. The tent itself was easy enough to assemble. In addition to the quasi-clear directions that came with it, this video really helped me out alot:

YouTube - The Dark Room Grow Tent Setup

Once the tent was setup, it wasn't obvious to me how to hang my light, carbon filter, fan, ducting, etc in a way that made sense. I've never done anything like this before. Fortunately, there are plenty of resources on the internet to demystify how to go about this. That is to say, I primarily looked at pictures of comparable grow tent setups and scoured the forums here on the topic of grow room setup. That, coupled with the rudimentary problem solving skills I've been graced with, eventually produced the current day result (more pics in my gallery page):

IMG_0481-resized.jpg

IMG_0478-resized.jpg

IMG_0489-resized.jpg

Not pictured, but worth mentioning, is the 6" fan venting the light, which sits on a stack of books outside of the tent and blowing air on my ballast (also not pictured) to keep it cool.

So most of the components are in place and I'm getting close to being ready for my first grow.

Ok, getting late. More later....

Re: First Deep Water Culture Grow: 4x4x6.5 Tent | 400w mh/hps | NL + Big Buddha Bubble Chee

Nice setup, excellent job. Will be watching and encouraging you along the way as many others will as well! :goodjob:

Re: First Deep Water Culture Grow: 4x4x6.5 Tent | 400w mh/hps | NL + Big Buddha Bubble Chee

Thanks for all the kudos and encouragement. Starting out, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, but thanks to these forums and other resources, I've been able to make more sense of things.

As for strains, I here's what's (hopefully) coming in the mail:

Product: Big Buddha Bubble Cheese Feminized
Options: Feminized Seeds Per Pack - 05 Seeds
Quantity: 1

Product: SAGARMATHA SEEDS Northern Lights #9 Feminized

Product: Nirvana Seeds White Widow Feminized

Product: UFO#1 Green House Seeds Bubba Kush Feminized

Product: UFO#2 Green House Seeds The Church Feminized

Product: UFO#3 Reserva Privada Cole Train Feminized

Product: UFO#5 Dinafem Seeds Cloud #9

Product: UFO#4 DNA Genetics Sour Cream Feminized

My current plan is to plant 3 Northern Lights and 3 BBBC, and store the other seeds for a future grow. After the plants start showing some root mass, and before they get all tangled up with each other, I plan on moving each plant to its own 5 gallon bubble bucket. Or if I am feeling lazy, only move 3 to bubble buckets and let the remaining 3 continue to grow in the SH system. Just gotta wait to see what makes sense at the time, I guess.

big budda gives out good seeds, i grew there blue cheese. i got one of the green house seeds bubba kush going right now, its only a little thing tho.

btw i answered the transplanting ? in the other thread, but dude its up to you, anytime the plant can sustain life without the water pump is a good time to transplant. as for roots, you can cut them back and they will regrow.

Very nice looking setup, I would like to follow your progress too, hope that you have success. I would like to make one suggestion however. Consider another smaller area for cloning and mothering these strains you have coming in the mail. You can do this on a very small scale and it would be good insurance to always have future growing stock on hand. Rather than relying on seed exclusively, clones are a faster way of moving on the the next run and keeping the traits of a particular plant you like. Good luck with it all. .V.

big budda gives out good seeds, i grew there blue cheese. i got one of the green house seeds bubba kush going right now, its only a little thing tho.

btw i answered the transplanting ? in the other thread, but dude its up to you, anytime the plant can sustain life without the water pump is a good time to transplant. as for roots, you can cut them back and they will regrow.

definitely looking forward to the bubble cheese. never tried that one before. or the NL #9 for that matter. but bubble cheese is fun to say and will probably be equally delightful to smoke.

saw your response on the transplanting. that makes sense. i know roseman says it's not a big deal to cut apart those roots, and i believe him, but maybe i'll get some experience under my belt before attempting something so invasive on the plant.

what size buckets do you like? 5 gallons seem like a bit much for a single plant, but what do i know. i guess i should probably research how much my strains will drink per day and plan accordingly. don't wanna have to replenish the buckets more than twice a week if i can avoid it, you know?

anyhow, thanks for the good advice. much appreciated.

Very nice looking setup, I would like to follow your progress too, hope that you have success. I would like to make one suggestion however. Consider another smaller area for cloning and mothering these strains you have coming in the mail. You can do this on a very small scale and it would be good insurance to always have future growing stock on hand. Rather than relying on seed exclusively, clones are a faster way of moving on the the next run and keeping the traits of a particular plant you like. Good luck with it all. .V.

thanks vipers! setting up a separate area for clones & mothers sounds like a great idea, except that i only have time for a single grow in my current apartment as i have move planned at the end of summer. so having that second room doesn't make sense for me quite yet. maybe one day!

anyhow, thanks for the well-wishes and following my efforts here. i look forward to hearing your feedback!

I'm subscribed and watching. Looks like you've done your homework and research and pre-study very well.

hey there roseman! thanks for stopping by and thanks for following! and thanks for that excellent tutorial. it was a fun and educational read and i'd say i learned a brainful. hope to make y'all proud with pics of beautiful, juicy nugs come harvest time.

wowzers! awesome man good luck! I got my popcorn ready!

We all look forward to watching. Please consider joining the Deep Water Culture Club.

Would love to! I know this is an answered question, but can you post a link to information on how to join?

Cheers!

A little somethin' somethin' arrived in the mail today from the UK. Gee, I wonder what it could possibly be?

bucket size is up to you and how big you want them to grow, also depends on the strain. i was getting 2 oz's a plant from a 2 gal bucket per plant with the widow, altho i had a sweet seeds jack 47 in the same 2 gal bucket that took a few more weeks to finish it was 4 oz by its self. kicking myself in the ass today that i didnt keep the pheno around it was a great plant, altho i got 2 more seeds of it left.. if i had the room tho i would opt out for the 3 gal buckets for each plant, youll be able to fit a little over 2 gallons of water in it and thats more then enough to be able to get the max yield from each plant in your space. its just up to your veg time and how big you let them get befor going into flower. i was placeing mine into flower at like 8-10 inches or so.

Back
Top Bottom