First Grow Begins - 1 Question

Mrmetfan

I'm going to be growing 4 autos and 2. Jack herer regular seeds. Since light with autos using the most important thing they'll have to deal with the requirements of the jack seeds. I'm going to let the autos grow without any disturbance. But the jack seeds I assume will be growing longer. Is it a must. That I top of LST these? Its my first grow so JM trying to keep it simple. My tent is 8 ft. But the light takes up some space. Its air cooled. So can I just switch to flower when there 2 feet. This way they shouldn't grow that tall where I'll run into trouble. Does this sound right? Or am I doing this wrong.

Re: first grow begins 1 question

Yes, you sound like your on the right track. If your tent is 8 feet, and you want to let the plant get to 2 feet, you can expect at least 2 feet of stretch when you flower them. so you looking 4-5 feet of plant, also take into consideration the size of your pots as well as how far above the plants the light has to be. If your going to LST the plants that will keep them shorter as well.

Have a small tent and a lot of light. If I have hid lights. Can I just leave them at the top of tent throughout the whole grow. 2x4 tent with 400 watt lights. Them as in the lights?

My tent is about 5.5' tall and I have my cool tube on the top with the supplied clips, I will buy rope ratchets for the future but my plants are liking the lights where they are right now. I also vegged my plants in a propagation dome with a T5HO 6400 K light before putting them in the tent.

Hello, Mrmetfan, Jack Herer is a great strain. Flowering her when she reaches 2 feet should fill in the gap while flowering and have room enough for good air circulation.

As for lighting, look at the pro grows, they put the lights up high and leave them, just like the sun, way far away. Closer lights means higher temps for the plant, more water consumed, and more electricity for cooling.

Some folks will try to tell you that lights placed far away cause stretching, this is false, heat causes stretching. Keeping the heat in the happy range of 72 - 75 deg f in the day and 66 at night, will produce an even growing, strong plant.

Air does not have to move the plant vigorously, it should cause a little flutter to a mild shake.

#1 mistake is over watering, be patient. Allowing the soil to dry out between watering is good for the roots.

Good luck and happy gardening.

Your plan to switch your plants to flower when they reach 2' tall should work for your first grow, you will be able to see how your plants stretch and plan for future grows. I would adjust the height of your light to keep an optimum amount of light reaching your plants. Place your hand underneath the light and move it to the point you can not feel any heat and move the light above your canopy at to that height, raise the light as your plants grow.

here are some chart that have lumens versus distance, they do not take heat into account

Metal_Halide_chart.jpg

HPS_chart.jpg

High_Intensity_Light_Coverage.jpg

grow-room-light-distances.jpg

HPSGraphPAR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom