First grow looking for advice

250bravo

Awesome forum some great information on here I'm learning a lot. Any of your guys advice, comments, and concerns would be excellent!Growing feminized white widow indoor in my closet or possibly attic, planning on using a 600w hps light, growing 4 plants in a SCROG, my closet space is 3x4 feet not sure if I should buy a grow tent or just make my own. Would love to get some advice on what brand of light to buy and what kind of soil and nutrients I should use. Planning on making a grow journal to document my progress anything you guys can teach me would be wonderful. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

600 w hps ya more likely need an air cooled hood to keep temperature in check for that space also this will include suitable ventilation points of intake & exhaust etc.

Soil wise well don't mix ya own it may sound funky but it might just cause problems & way to much to explain right now... normally the first timer mistake is getting a final potting mix with a reasonable high level of nutrients already in it & germinating seeds in it only to discover you got nutrient burn.

So germinating seeds do what ever method ya like really it all works but if ya choosing soil/compost get a bag stated/saying for seedlings etc it has far lower nutrients in then it is just timing for potting up into final pot size...

Soil ah or what brand i'll just stick with popular brands names really which are pre blended etc it is a safe bet.

Nutrients well stick with names known from hydroponic stores it all grows weed really a grow, bloom & micro nutrient should see ya all the way through perhaps P/K boost for good measures.

HPS well i generally avoid cheap stuff for a good reason its cheap for a start so qualitie is of question or to how long it will last... Mmm technical stuff really or how far ya wanna look into it !

do u want cheap hps or expensive. do u want to use for veg also or not

I would like to use it for all stages of growing unless that's not a good idea. I want good quality light with built in vent in the hood to keep it cool and a ballast and everything to come in the one unit no fooling around then

Check what grow stores are closest to you and investigate what options they have. Avoid the cheap stuff. Knowing what's available locally will help narrow it down for you. I think Fuzzy Duck answered as well as it's possible to answer what are extremely general questions. The products that are available to you will vary greatly by area- there are growers here from all over the world and I don't know what country you're in (though I notice when people don't specify where they are it usually means they're in the US) Your photo looks more like BC where I'm from- in which case I could recommend a store or two. If you can find a good hydro store, with a knowledgeable sales rep to build a relationship with, that's worth a lot. Many of those 'hydro store guys' don't know much about growing. But some do.

My two cents. 4 White Widows scrogged in a 3x4 screen it to many. You'll have shit growing everywhere. 3 plants would be ideal and fill the screen. I would also go with two 400watt MH/HPS lights over one 600watt. The 600 wont cover 4 feet effectively, this I've found with my White Widow grow in a 3 foot long screen. The 2 lights will give you even coverage over the entire area and won't fall off toward the edges.
Here's a pic of mine for an example of size you can expect, which is why I'd recommend just 3 plants.
2 White widows in a 25" x 36" scrog. Wished I had the second light.
MG_9127.jpg

My two cents. 4 White Widows scrogged in a 3x4 screen it to many. You'll have shit growing everywhere. 3 plants would be ideal and fill the screen. I would also go with two 400watt MH/HPS lights over one 600watt. The 600 wont cover 4 feet effectively, this I've found with my White Widow grow in a 3 foot long screen. The 2 lights will give you even coverage over the entire area and won't fall off toward the edges.
Here's a pic of mine for an example of size you can expect, which is why I'd recommend just 3 plants.
2 White widows in a 25" x 36" scrog. Wished I had the second light.
MG_9127.jpg

Thats a very recent picture. Those plants are currently in day 28 of flower so no yield yet. Check out my grow journal in my signature if you like. Good luck with your grow.

I have to offer a little different view from that last post- I don't have any isssues growing four plants per 600.
I grow to fill a 4' deep x 38" wide space under each 600w light, which is how big the plant canopy areas are under the lights in the photos below. I don't scrog all my plants these days, but I used to. I made individual screens - 24"x19", four per light. Been doing that for a few years. Works out to just under 50w per square foot and my lights have no trouble covering the space. I grow all kinds of strains. About 1/2 my plants are pure sativas which can get pretty stretchy. I don't have any issues at all fitting them in to the screen space. If I wanted them to be smaller I could veg for a shorter time, but even way overgrown plants are very easy to control in a scrog. Seven to ten gallon pots. Here are some pics from a couple years ago when I used to scrog them all.

image29736.jpg

image29737.jpg

image29738.jpg

Well, pretty hard to argue with that evidence Weaselcracker. lol. Do you move the individual scrogs around to maximize light as it appears like the light falls off toward the center between the lights which was what I was referring to earlier.

I have to offer a little different view from that last post- I don't have any isssues growing four plants per 600.
I grow to fill a 4' deep x 38" wide space under each 600w light, which is how big the plant canopy areas are under the lights in the photos below. I don't scrog all my plants these days, but I used to. I made individual screens - 24"x19", four per light. Been doing that for a few years. Works out to just under 50w per square foot and my lights have no trouble covering the space. I grow all kinds of strains. About 1/2 my plants are pure sativas which can get pretty stretchy. I don't have any issues at all fitting them in to the screen space. If I wanted them to be smaller I could veg for a shorter time, but even way overgrown plants are very easy to control in a scrog. Seven to ten gallon pots. Here are some pics from a couple years ago when I used to scrog them all.

image29736.jpg

image29737.jpg

image29738.jpg

What kind of lights are you using there weasel cracker ?

Once in a blue moon I might turn a plant 180° In case it's grown up a bit unevenly. But generally it's too much trouble and not necessary. I don't see an uneven growth or notice any issues. The photo looks really dark because the photo exposure is cranked way down, otherwise you wouldn't see the colour and it would be totally washed out because it's so bright in there. So the photos aren't a very accurate way to judge the brightness levels. The light coverage relates back to the size and shape + quality of your reflector. I've often thought it looks a little dim around the edges too, but can never find any evidence that the plants notice this and I've used this setup for about six years now. Actually by the walls they tend to grow bigger- I think they get more light because of the reflection.

Edit- they're 600w hps lights. Those were some cheap bulbs at that time.

- got to go get some sleep it's 4:30 am here. Goodnight folks. :thumb:

If you guys are talking to me? Ok re the journal link in your signature- it takes a few steps. Can be confusing but if you just follow this tutorial step by step it will work fine. To be honest I had to screw around quite a bit setting up the link for my third journal and this is the third time I've done it.
There are a couple way to get to the 'edit signature' link- but I go - SETTINGS- then -SETTINGS (left of search box at upper right of this screen). Then options appear on left side of screen and you can see edit signature among them.

Here is the tutorial. How to Add Links to Signatures

As for my scrog being perfect - nah. I didn't try to make it perfect and it probably looks better in the photo than real life.
ScrogDawg has a point, and I'm probably maxing out the coverage for these lights. Like I said already, it does look dimmer around the edges. I just can't see any effects on the plants, oddly enough, and they're the boss.
Having a decent reflector helps. Mine are cheap but work well.

Not sure who that question is aimed at either- but since I seem to be here-
Could you make the question clearer? I'm not sure what you're asking exactly.

Back
Top Bottom