First Grow of Auto Strains in New Grow Room

SerenityNow

I'm new here, but I've been reading for some time, and gathering info. I've almost completed my grow room, which consists of a clone station, which is broken into 2 levels, one for clones, and the other for extra clones, or for housing slightly older clones (I plan on cutting every 4 weeks once I get started with the new mothers, to create a 4 week cycle). I also have a 4' x 5' veg room, and a 9' x 4' flower room. All of this is squeezed into a 9'x9' room. I have a 2x 55W T5 clone light for the clones, and in the veg-room I have 2 Cool Tubes with 600W LucaGrows fitted. I'm running digital ballasts throughout. The ballasts have a 10% over-drive feature, so effectively the lights are 660W when running flat out, but they can also be run at 300W in the early stages. In the flower room I have 4 Cool Tubes with 600W LucaGrows fitted. I've set up an overhead light hanging system that allows me to switch over to 5 lights if need be, but initially I'll be running 4 lights, until I'm certain temps won't suffer from the addition of a 5th light source. I should mention, this room has its own reverse cycle air conditioner fitted (split system with 1/3rd of the outlet feeding to veg room, and 2/3rds feeding the flower room), so temps and humidity won't be a concern, especially with a 500cu.ft. inline centrifugal fan exhausting things.

During my research it occurred to me that with such a long wait from seed to harvest, it made good sense to sneak an auto-crop in before the new strains start providing me with a steady source of medicine. So for the first crop I'm going with 10 x Barneys Farm Pineapple Express Auto, 5 x Auto Seeds Berry Ryder, and 10 x Dinafem Seeds Critical Jack, plus a couple of freebies, 1 x G13 Auto AK and 1 x Dinafem Seeds White Widow Auto. Growing from seed is all new to me, so I must admit to being a little nervous about the germination side of things, but less worried about what follows.

I plan on being as scientific and thorough as I possibly can, with a mind to producing world-class medical cannabis (lofty ambitions!). I'm running to waste, because I've never been a fan of anything else. I've used auto watering in the past, but I plan on hand watering my babies this time, mainly because I think the extra interaction with the plants is beneficial to both them and myself, and also because I like doing it. I've set up 2 x 70 litre tanks (1 veg and 1 flower). They have a Hanna constant display pH/EC/Temp meter mounted on the wall above them, with a 1500LPH aquarium pump and 100W heater in each tank. I'll use a watering 'wand' with on/off valve for watering with. I'm using a quality A+B veg and flower feed, supplemented with Canna's Rhizotonic, Cannazyme, and PK13/14.

I also plan on feeding the plants carbon dioxide. With 4 lights (2400W total) my flower room will have 66W/square foot. With the 4 lights being fed 660W from the digital ballasts (10% over-drive) it gets up to 73W/square foot. Can I go higher with CO2 and air conditioning?

I have 6 150mm (6") Cool Tubes with flexible ducts fitted leading back to a main collector box, There's also one 150mm duct placed at the top of each room for extracting heat from the top of each room. All this leads to a custom made collector box, which houses an 8"x32" (200x800mm) carbon filter, with a 500cu 8" (200mm) inline centrifugal fan mounted to the end of it. A 10" duct from the fan connects it to a roof-vent mounted at the highest point of the roof for maximum dispersal. A 1000mg/hr ozone generator is mounted downstream from the fan to further dampen smells. I have a 14" wall mounted fan in the flower room, and a smaller floor mounted fan in the veg room. I also have a baby fan for blowing on the from-seed-seedlings to make sure they grow strong.

For the first crop I'm going to grow 27 plants in total, all auto-flowering grown in 8 liter (2.2 gallon) pots filled with perlite. This seems to be a good number for completely filling the room with a sea of medicine. They claim these autos can reach up to 750mm tall in good conditions, so it should be interesting to see just how fast we can get those cells to divide.

Photos to follow...

Well, I had a really poor germination rate from all the seeds I purchased. I expect they were a little too old, with ~95% germinating, but only 25% having the energy to go on from there. The phenos I did get, were very hardy and a few really vigorous growers. With my Sensi Seeds - Jack Flash #5 being the standout performer, which grows at what seems twice the rate my DNA Genetics - Kushberry is (both 3 weeks of age). I have a few Dinafem Seeds - Critical Jack autos that are going well, and one Barney's Farms - Pineapple Express, and an Auto Seeds - Berry Ryder. The one that has got me really excited it the Positronic Seeds - Blue Rhino. I've never seem anything like the pheno I have, which has elephant-ear leaves, and 'odd-leaf' mutations back to a more sativa shape (see photos below).

<edit> I can't attach photos? why?... :icon_roll

Cool! cheers for that... :thumb:

OK, here's the update. the seeds were mostly a bust, with most splitting, then running out of juice. I've only grown from seed once before, and that was a looong time ago, and from clones ever since. The good news is... no scrub that, the great news is I have three stable mothers, and all are exceptional phenotypes thus-far. I have a Sensi Seeds - Jack Flash #5 (Jack Flash x Skunk #1). I also have a DNA Genetics - Kushberry (Kush x Blueberry) mother who looks very dark green and healthy. Finally I managed to snag a great freebie in the form of Positronics Seeds - Blue Rhino (Blueberry x White Rhino). Comparing them in appearance, the BR looks like it's 90% Indica, while the Kushberry looks 50:50 and the JF#5 is like a skunk plant with Indica leaves, and it seems to be growing faster than any skunk I've ever seen before (Super, Lemon, and 'standard-variety'). In fact it's actually blowing me away how thick the trunk is growing, and how big the leaves are already. I took the following photos 4 days ago, and since they've all exploded...

Critical_Jack_Auto_at_24_days_from_seed.jpg
Jack_Flash_No_5_at_24_days.jpg
Berry_Ryder_at_25_days_from_seed_1.jpg

OK, the first one above is a Dinafem - Critical Jack Auto, and the second my Sensi Seeds - Jack Flash #5 and the last one is a close-up of my Auto Seeds - Berry Ryder which showed its first hairs at 25 days... and the one below is a close-close-up of the Berry Ryder at 25 days...

Berry_Ryder_at_25_days_from_seed_3.jpg

So, this grow I have:

Autos
3 x Dinafem - Critical Jack Auto
1 x Barney's Farms - Pineapple Express
1 x Auto Seeds - Berry Ryder

Mothers
Sensi Seeds - Jack Flash #5
DNA Genetics - Kushberry
Positronic Seeds - Blue Rhino

not too shabby...

OK, being this is a grow blog... well, it is to me, so I thought I'd tell people about what's been going on. A few years back I injury my back at work, and I've been off ever since. When I say 'injured', I mean it's pretty debilitating, and for about a year I spent a great deal of time in bed, mainly to avoid having to deal with pain. Anyway, last year a friend was visiting, and we had a smoke he had brought along. The first thing I noticed was my pain was relieved, and suddenly I could walk reasonably freely again (at a slow pace). Anyway, I kept all this to myself, thinking everybody would think I was just making an excuse to start smoking cannabis. While this was all going on, I saw a story on the news one night about a study they were conducting using a pure tincture of CBD with zero THC. They showed an end-stage patient who no longer found relief from his pain with opium-based analgesics, yet, one spray in the mouth from his CBD atomiser, and he was good to go back to work.

Having seen the aforementioned news story, I was convinced it wasn't in my head, and started off on my research, and in no time I had uncovered the plot against cannabis (thanks to The Emperor Wears No Clothes). Suddenly my social programming just stripped away, and I no longer felt self-conscious about smoking cannabis, realising cannabis had been used medicinally for around 6000 years. I was even a bit angry, which is what I expect helped me decided to grow my own, that and the fact that I couldn't afford to keep buying it.

So, you could say I'm very invested in my grow, in as much as I desperately need the medicine, and I'm having to buy totally unsuited Sativa at present, as it's either that or nothing. Soon I'll have some Indica varieties to give me varying forms of relief. With that in mind, I find myself fussing over the plants all the time. I hand water them slowly with a large 60cc syringe. It actually holds about 80cc pulled all the way out, and with that I can carefully water the plants one at a time, allowing me to meter the amount I give each plant, as well as feed them at a slower rate with no disturbance to the roots whatsoever. I also don't like over-flushing the rhizozone and risk losing essential bacteria, etc. I use Canna Rhizotonic and Cannazyme to create a health rhizozone, which in itself is a living organism that needs consideration. All this over-thinking on my part, will hopefully lead to some high quality medicine. Wish me luck...

So the government wants to be able to tax all the injured and disabled by calling it 'regulating'... that sounds about right.

I'd become an activist if I wasn't put off from bringing extra attention upon myself, given my current situation.

Day 28 photos below. I've been totally obsessive compulsive in my hand watering schedule, waking up every night (morning) at 3:30am to water them, then back to bed, and up again at 6:30am to water them again. I don't flood them, I just give them about 200ml each, and on occasion I double that to 400ml to give the rhizozone a bit of a flush. I have a full watering wand and pumps in each nutrient tank for more 'wholesale' watering, but at this delicate stage, I don't want to miss any area, as well as they've been quite low to the growing medium, so I had to be careful not to drench their little growing tips and cause nutrient-burn. I'll trim the lower leaves off shortly, so then I can water with waaay less effort.

I'm interested as to why the Jack Flash #5 doesn't have much colour to it. The other plants are dark, so it's not nitrogen deficiency, but I can't help wonder if the JF#5 want to be fed hard, like 1400PPM. I'm already feeding them at 1000PPM, so I might go out to 1200PPM next time. That said, it's hard to fault their progress, and even though the JF#5 lack 'colour', it's growing like crazy, and even outstripping my Critical Jack Auto, which is also wonderful to watch grow. As would be expected, the higher the percentage of Indica, the slower the growing rate when compared to the part Skunk, JF#5 and the part Critical, Critical Jack. I can see the Dinafem - Critical Jack is going to be a high yielder, as far as autos go, and that the Jack Flash #5 is going to be HUGE.

I found some more info on Sensi's JF#5 and it stated that it was made up of Jack Herer x Skunk #1 x NL#5 x Haze. The original Jack Flash was Jack Herer x Skunk #1 (the Skunk #1 giving it its 'Flash' when growing). Sensi then took Jack Flash and crossed it with their NL#5 x Haze to get JF#5

It's sooo hard to find any well written info, and Sensi's website seems to have cut and pasted the info from the original JF into their JF#5 page, with a couple of sentences added that make mention of JF#5. Basically it makes no sense at all IMO, but maybe it does to others... I doubt it.

Day 28 and I'm already spacing my 330mm pots for the second time so the leaves from each plant don't overlap. I love how fast they appear to grow as they get bigger. I swear I can see the difference after just a couple of hours.

The first photo below is of the JF#5 at 24 days, and then the next photo is the JF#5 at 28 days. Notice the differnce? The last photo is of my DNA Genetics - Kushberry, which is really starting to look super healthy now. I'm still waiting for the Blue Rhino to get kicking, but it was the last to be transferred to the grow room, so she has a few days of catching up to do.

Jack_Flash_No_5_at_24_days1.jpg

Sensi_Seeds_-_Jack_Flash_No5_at_28_days.jpg

DNA_Genetics_-_Kushberry_at_28_days.jpg

I cleaned both tanks out today, they hold 70 litres each. After I refilled them, I decided to wind them up to 1100PPM (from 850PPM). I had a hiccup with my Hanna 3-in-1 meter, and I thought it had died on me, but it turned out after phaffing around with it for a day, that the 12V plug on the end of the lead from Hanna module was dodgey, like it just took a slight twist to cut out. As of last night, I was resigned to sending it back to the States to get it fixed, but now all's well again! I ended up buying a budget pH meter/wand as a stop-gap measure, but now I won't need it, but I'm actually more comfortable having the back-up. When I get a bit more financial, I want to buy a spare fan (same one rated at 750CFM according to Grow Lush website). I also want a spare carbon filter, and an ozone generator. I already have a spare digital ballast and air pump for the nutrient tanks. Eventually I'll have one of everything, because let's face it, they're all going to fail sooner or later, and I need to be able to 'hot-swap' things out in a minimum of time, and the fan is an essential element, in fact the whole grow would come to a standstill with all the heat that gets generated by the lights, so I'd have to switch things off while I swapped the fan over. I hate worry, so having spare parts on the shelf makes me relax a little, although I really want to hook up an alarm to my fan in case it fails and it can alert me...

I woke this morning, and the first thing I noticed was all the plants had grown 'stretched-necks' overnight (my night, not theirs). It's the first time I've seen them do this, and the fact that all of them are doing it tells me they love the new 1100PPM mix. I read autos don't like too much food, but these are thriving on it. I'll keep feeding them on Veg A+B until about the 14th day after they show their sex, then I'll switch them over to Flower A+B. I'm definitely bumping it out to 1200PPM from here on, and maybe 1300-1400 towards the end.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Back
Top Bottom