First Grow Space

Kronos

Hello,

First off, I want to thank all of you for the wealth of information on this forum. I have been reading through the posts for the past week now and have already learned so much from your experiences.

I am a complete novice to growing and my goal is simply to grow a few plants (2-4) for personal use. So far I've decided on beginning with clones in an organic soilless mix (castings, vermiculite, and perlite) under a HID light.

Currently I'm weighing the pros and cons of two options for the grow space:

1. Grow Tent set-up. I'm liking the Gro lab DR60 (or should I be looking at the DR80?).
2. Modified Outdoor Storage Shed. This would be lined with panda plastic and modified with intake/outtake vents, etc to mimic an indoor closet grow space. I'm big into DIY projects!

The grow tents seem pretty self explanatory, but I am worried about a few issues with them mainly having them indoors (heat, smell, noise, and light). I definitely have the space for it in my closet but I don't know what to expect regarding it smelling up my clothes or noise from the fans. So if anyone can let me know what to expect with grow tents it would be awesome.

Also, I'm guessing that a 400 watt HID (digital ballast for MH/HPS switching) would do me nice. However, I am thoroughly confused when it comes to the pricing of these things as they range anywhere from $150 - $400! Just what sets a name brand lighting system (like those sold at Hydro store) apart from the much cheaper ones to be found online?

:thanks: in advance

Im either case you have to worry most about the climate controls. Tents work ok as long as you have a way to get fresh air in and hot air out. To do it right you'll need the tent, 3 fans ( one for intake, one for exhaust and an oscellationg fan to move the plant around and make them stem strong. If you are worried about the smell then a carbon filter attached to you exhaust would be required.

Outdoor sheds have the added issue of pest control and the environmental control can be more challenging outside due to the ambient heat of outside in general.

Your closet would have to be completely cleaned out and not used for clothes. Clothes can carry in many undesirable bugs/bug eggs that you would be unaware of until the grow space gets infected.

As far as pricing variables. It's all about what profit the provider of the gear wants. In a point of sale hydro shop there is more overhead than simply providing the equipment on-line. For lghts, reflectors, etc. the best pricing I've found is:

High Tech Garden Supply

A lot of growers get their lights from this site. I have 250 watt and 400 watt HPS lights from this site and I am happy.

Thanks for the reply. Good to know that you recommend HTG as I've been browsing their auctions on ebay.

I didn't realize I would have to empty out the closet if I planed to put a grow tent in there (its a large walk in closet - so I figured it would be like having the tent in a bedroom).

Nonetheless, I am steering more towards the outdoor shed. Climate control should not be a huge issue as I will keep it in a shady area on my deck and I live in southern california so temps too cold will not be a problem. Heat may be and if it is I will add an additional exhaust fan system on a thermostat to kick in when temps get a bit too warm (>78 deg).

Would a 6' square area (6' tall) be enough for 4 plants?

Do you have any good ideas for preemptively dealing with pests? I currently have a small garden on my deck and haven't had any problems thus far, but it is best to be prepared for anything. In the past in less-than-desirable areas where I've kept reptiles I've used "No-pest" strips around the enclosures...would this work for plants as well?

Sound like you can make the shed work.

So something like 2x3'. THat depends on how big you want your plants to get. They usually double in size at least when your go to flower as they search for the light. The plants would have to be small when you did that if 4 plants is the goal. There is an advantage in that your veg time is reduce to 3 maybe 4 weeks.

I look at it another way. I veg my plants until they are mature which usually takes about 5 or 6 weeks. The leafs stop growing right across from each other when they are mature. During that time I am topping and fimming (a kind of pruning) that allows me to make the plant bushier with a lot of top growth and more what they call grow tips that end up being bud. In that space with my paricular strain I can fill a 2x3 area with 2 plants.

What strain are you planning on growing? Some don't spread out quite as much and you then can use more plants. You'll want to flower your plants when they are around 16" anyway. You want to be able to keep that 400 at about 1' away to get the best light spread.

As far as pest control. I use a product I picked up at Lowe's. Home Defense. It's safe for the plants right up to harvest but you dont't wat to spray when the plants are budding. After I get it clean, I soak my closet from top to bottom, celing included. Then a couple of days before I actually use it I do it again. That keeps the bugs at bay for the whole grow but if you're doing it outside I'd use the no pest strips. Neem oil is also used as a plant safe pesticide. You do mix it in water and spray everthing but it smells pretty strong which may or may not be a problem in your shed.

Back
Top Bottom