First Growing

Her216

420 Member
Hi everyone!
I am planning my first grow and I have it growing from a styrofoam cup and I was wondering how often I should water my plants and when I should start giving them nutrients from the seedling onwards!!! I haven’t added any nutes so it’s just dirt and water I but wanted to know when to start adding and can the nutes be purchased from Home Depot?.... I also wanted to know when should you transport to a bigger pot and what size should you transport to. As I stated this is my first growing and I used the MG soil.... I’ve notice that it started stretching as well and wanted to know what can I do to help it......Please Help!!!

S/N: I’ve posted this as a comment already I know but I wanted to know more about it since I’ve never grown before.

Attachments

• 61179B39-D119-4C63-8BC8-D53030700A65.jpeg
    61179B39-D119-4C63-8BC8-D53030700A65.jpeg
    581.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 052285BB-6FA7-44E6-BB72-597AE0B1EADD.jpeg
    052285BB-6FA7-44E6-BB72-597AE0B1EADD.jpeg
    667.3 KB · Views: 38
  • D39D1242-163B-4A76-AD86-17F069FD7CC8.jpeg
    D39D1242-163B-4A76-AD86-17F069FD7CC8.jpeg
    575.5 KB · Views: 38
  • B5B89710-4402-4B80-A83A-95F00220FCB5.jpeg
    B5B89710-4402-4B80-A83A-95F00220FCB5.jpeg
    843.4 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    659.2 KB · Views: 28
Hi Her216,

Welcome to 420 Magazine! I’m pretty new here myself so I will leave the heavy lifting to the more experienced growers. As far as those Styrofoam cups, you do have holes in the bottom for drainage right? No nutes are needed now but when you do be sure to mix a weak dose like 1/4 strength. Your soil nutrients should carry them for couple of weeks. Not familiar with Home Depot nutes but most here use specialized nutes made just for cannabis or hemp. Some here use MG products but most steer towards more specialized products designed just for this crop.

It’s great you know to repot or upcan to a larger environment. Typically after the leaves grow or extend beyond the edges of the cup, most go to 1 gallon then grow it out for a while and let it get root bound in that container before upcanning to final container. Generally speaking seedlings stretch cuz they are not getting enough light. On water, once the seedling grows out a couple of sets (pairs) of leaves we begin to work or exploit the wet / dry cycle. Water them once & don’t water again for 2 or 3 days. A common mistake is overwatering. Let the roots search a bit for water. Obviously keep an eye on them and if leaves droop downward it’s time to water.

There is a primer at the top of this forum titled “How to ask for grow help”. Read it and add the appropriate responses to this thread as it applies to your garden.

Room or tent size, light source, wattage, strain selection, photoperiod or autoflower etc., by listing this info it will help others to advise you. More folks will drop in soon.

Hope this helps!

Hi again Her216,

I realized an edit was needed. I don’t want to discourage you about the miracle grow or getting nutes from Home Depot. I was simply advising that most here use other stuff.

Now with that said... YES - you can certainly grow on low budget with great success. Even though miracle grow is not the most recommended, I’m sure there are people here using it. I hear of a lot of folks that use Mega Crop it’s just one bag of dry nutes that is added to water like 1 gram per gallon to start with.... @MrSauga is the resident genius on all things Mega Crop. Others use fox farms or Advanced Nutrients etc.

Anyway there are tons of experienced growers who will jump in to help. Check out some of the journals here, keep reading and keep asking questions.

I really do appreciate you I just want it to be inexpensive due to this being my first grow and I didn’t wanna go crazy buying things I seen online their was a lot of pro and cons but I used what mom had here lol I thank you I’m just now trying to get the plants to not turn yellow as I’m already starting to see spots which is a bad a thing

@MrSauga is the resident genius on all things Mega Crop.
I'm not sure if I'm the resident genius on the stuff but I do have lots of experience with it ;)
Thanks for the kind words 013
I really do appreciate you I just want it to be inexpensive due to this being my first grow and I didn’t wanna go crazy buying things I seen online their was a lot of pro and cons but I used what mom had here lol I thank you I’m just now trying to get the plants to not turn yellow as I’m already starting to see spots which is a bad a thing
Welcome Her!
Great advice by 013. Can you post a pic of the nutes you plan on using?

Her216: What are you using for lights? Your seedling is stretching because it's too far away from your light. At that age and size you can just use one single 13 or 23 watt CFL. Once it sprouts a couple more full leaves you should transplant it deep...like 1/2 inch from the leaves. Position your light no more than 4 inches away from the leaves; but only if it's a CFL--easy to get at almost any store.

There are 4 things new growers tend to screw up (me included). 1. Too much water, 2. Too little water, 3. Too much fertilizer, and 4. Not enough fertilizer.

Number 2 and 4 aren't as common.

When you transplant into a 1-3 gallon pot, Number 1 can be prevented by lifting your pot after a really good drenching; feel it's weight, let yourself get used to how heavy it is all wet. Then, let your plant use that water and only water again when you lift the plant and you say to yourself " Whoa, ever light--time to drench." Then drench a couple of cups at a time until it starts draining from the bottom. Then stop. A drenching could take you 30 minutes or more.

Number 1 will be taken care of by following the process above. Worst case...if you see your plant ;looking wilty and sad and the soil seems dry and inch or so down, AND the pot is light--then add water.

Number 3: You planted in Miracle Grow--nothing wrong with that. I've grown several times with it. You'll read people trashing Miracle Gro all the time but don't pay them any mind--it's your grow, not theirs.
If you use the same soil when you transplant, don't add ANY ferts until about 3-4 weeks after transplanting. Then get some ferts and whatever the package says to do, add 1/3 or 1/4 of that. New growers kill plants ll the time with over-fertilizing.

I always grow pretty low budget myself. That's alright as long as you understand that you'll probably only get about an ounce; 2 ounces if your lucky. But good weed here goes for 240 an ounce so you saving a lot of money anyway.

Good Luck!

So I was thinking this whole line up asf far a new soil for transplant but idk still on the nutes/ fertilizer to use that’s not so advanced.

Attachments

• 10BCBEDE-9C94-458C-B238-9A72A2B6DAE3.png
    10BCBEDE-9C94-458C-B238-9A72A2B6DAE3.png
    249.4 KB · Views: 37
I'm not sure if I'm the resident genius on the stuff but I do have lots of experience with it ;)
Thanks for the kind words 013

Welcome Her!
Great advice by 013. Can you post a pic of the nutes you plan on using?

that’s the only thing I can find that’s has a great npk compound if I said that right lol

Attachments

• B8F14EF2-739A-4E07-8BC7-80842CB70B95.png
    B8F14EF2-739A-4E07-8BC7-80842CB70B95.png
    249.4 KB · Views: 38
that’s the only thing I can find that’s has a great npk compound if I said that right lol
OK so it looks like you have Miracle Gro Performance Organics All Purpose Plant Nutrition granules. It has a NPK of 9-2-7, or a NPK ratio of 4:blushsmile:3.
Cannabis likes a ratio of around 2:blushsmile:3 or 2:blushsmile:5. You may be fine using it but I suspect come flowering with the lack of P and K you may have some deficiencies. Also plants require plenty of Ca and Mg and it doesn't state how much is in there. You may want to look at some sort of Ca/Mg supplement such as calmag.

When you start feeding only use half of what the bottle says to use and work your way up.

Yes!!! Was ordering it off amazon until it said delayed order... now I’m getting discouraged since this is my first one I think I’ll do the MG line up and just add the Calmag when flowering starts (If I reach that far)!!!!

Hi everyone!
I am planning my first grow and I have it growing from a styrofoam cup and I was wondering how often I should water my plants and when I should start giving them nutrients from the seedling onwards!!! I haven’t added any nutes so it’s just dirt and water I but wanted to know when to start adding and can the nutes be purchased from Home Depot?.... I also wanted to know when should you transport to a bigger pot and what size should you transport to. As I stated this is my first growing and I used the MG soil.... I’ve notice that it started stretching as well and wanted to know what can I do to help it......Please Help!!!

S/N: I’ve posted this as a comment already I know but I wanted to know more about it since I’ve never grown before.
I’m pretty new myself with this whole grow stuff you can find a bunch of nutrients and other things you need for your plant at a local hydroponic store near you. Also you can find it on amazon. Flora nova nutrients are what I use for my plants, I bought a pretty cheap light from amazon for 30 bucks that was 70 watt blue an red lights until I upgraded to better. I wanted to start cheap myself. Reading things online help a lot. Hope your little babies come out good! I will forsure keep up for updates good luck

Thank
I’m pretty new myself with this whole grow stuff you can find a bunch of nutrients and other things you need for your plant at a local hydroponic store near you. Also you can find it on amazon. Flora nova nutrients are what I use for my plants, I bought a pretty cheap light from amazon for 30 bucks that was 70 watt blue an red lights until I upgraded to better. I wanted to start cheap myself. Reading things online help a lot. Hope your little babies come out good! I will forsure keep up for updates good luck

thank you will keep you updated

Yes!!! Was ordering it off amazon until it said delayed order... now I’m getting discouraged since this is my first one I think I’ll do the MG line up and just add the Calmag when flowering starts (If I reach that far)!!!!
You can change nutes at anytime so when the MC arrives you can start using it. The calmag won't help in flower. It's P and K that the plant needs. The calmag can be used anytime throughout the grow when you see deficiencies of Ca or Mg
Had anyone used this before or heard of it
I have not. Not too many people use foliar sprays as they can burn the plants. A common one that is used is Kelp for foliar spraying. I have never used any foliar sprays on any of my grows and normally you never have to.

Update: finally got my baby a new home not sure if I replanted right )lol but we made it thus far.... wondering when to use the bloom now or in a few weeks??...,please help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    900.4 KB · Views: 28
  • FEB8F0C0-CB1A-4AC2-8FD4-48F0B7F44BC8.jpeg
    FEB8F0C0-CB1A-4AC2-8FD4-48F0B7F44BC8.jpeg
    795.2 KB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom