First Time Grow - Hempy - Fox Farm Nutes - 260w LED

TonyaesLoco

So, I am just going to copy my journal entries onto here.. I will try to summarize parts. It is very detailed and has a lot of personal thoughts that I had while experiencing my first grow! The plants do not finish until Early May, so I will update when the time comes. Maybe once or twice before then.

Summary;
This is my first grow, I am following the Fox Farm hydro grow schedule to the T. I have a decent idea of how to care for plants (Landscape background)
My goal was not to have a big BAD-A grow, But to show everyone that it is fairly simple to grow marijuana. I also wanted to detail my experience with Solo-Cup Hempies & Fox Farm Nutes (I'm def not a FF Rep, Just chose to use their products)

Strain: Plush Berry Kush
Planted in Solo Cup Hempies, One plant was TXFR'd to a Gallon milk jug a few weeks in.
Light: Started with CFL's & Finished Veg/Into flowering with 260w LED (Light House Flowering Model...) I chose Led because my grow space is pretty small & I didn't want to heat it up too much. Also was interested in LED's so I wanted to see how it worked out.
Medium: Coco Coir & Grow Rocks "Rocks That Don't Roll" I filled the cups half way to 3/4 with the rocks and put coco in the top (A bit eventually washed down into the rocks)
Environment: Cardboard grow box, Literally taped together.. :p It is lined with the Black/White material from the grow store. I wanted to keep them contained and hidden in-case the landlord wanted to visit. I also didn't want to spend the money on a tent. I regret not having a tent, and most likely will buy one for my next grow.

CONTROLLING SMELL: I am using "ONA PRO GEL" it works GREAT!!! It really neutralizes the smell of the ladies!!

I WILL ADD NOTES WITH MY THOUGHTS NOW ON THE PROCEDURES, They will be ORANGEEEEEEE :)

JOURNAL ENTRIES;

Nutrients During Seedling to first few leaves

1.5L of Cold Tap usually left sitting to "Evaporate chlorine?" I didn't think it was worth the bother to do farther research on this. It's just one of the things I do that feels right to me.
¼TSP "Big BLOOM Hydro"

NOTE: I realize now that the water alone would have been fine for the first 2 weeks.

Planted seeds on January 31st I believe...
21376.JPG
21376.JPG

Feb 4th
Haven't check in since yesterday morning... They are mostly all popping, the 2 late additions are sprouting just as fast as the 2 day old seedlings. There are 3 that I decided to trash, I will only be keeping 6 plants (Lets Keep it Legal!). I will decide in a week or two which ones. It's clear #1 is well on his way... Scratch that. HOPEFULLY well on HER way.

My goal Is to have 2-3 females to create a mother plant by picking the plant with the best characteristics. When I sex them I will take note on how fast they veg & go into flowering.

Today I fertilized all of the plants as needed... The Big/Greenest/HEALTHIEST got more. I'm assuming the smaller still have plenty of nutes in the coco to soak up. DOWN TO 11 SEEDLINGS NOW. On Feb 6th will plan to have 6 left, all in the Hempies. BIG FOOT LOOKS HAPPY, I WILL BE ADDING A BUDDY FOR HIM SOON TO GIVE HIM SOMEONE TO WATCH THE GROW WITH. :)
Feb4th.JPG

Feb 5th
Tomorrow I will be moving 6 plants into my new hempy cups. They have a higher double hole(Half way up the Solo Cup), total of 1" opening. I also pre-rinsed the coco & rocks... ALSO, will be using more rocks this time I think... The plants I'm using are Both the late additions "Feb 1st" 2 of the original mini cup seedlings, & #1/#2 from the old hempies. I will transplant, and NOT WATER AT ALL!!!!!!!!!
I am about to go pour some P.H. Balanced water over the coco so it can soak up for the night. WILL FILL RES WITH PH BALANCED WATER.. BEFORE TRANSPLANTING.

NOTE: I PH balanced my water the first few weeks, then I noticed when I mixed my nutes with the tap water (PH Neutral) The ph was perfect @ 5.5ish. So I now only check the run off Every week or so.

PIC FROM FEB 7th
Feb7_.JPG

Feb 24th
So I haven't updated in a while. 5 left and they are looking great. I upped the nutes about a week ago & they have def taken a liking to it. (FoxFarm Hydro nute schedule...) I transferred one plant to the gallon jug and it has definitely started to grow bigger than the others. I'm writing today because I topped plants 2, 4, & 5. I also flushed with tap water and gave a nute feeding. I need to go to the store to buy cloning materials & the LED to flower them. Lights are 24hr and only 4 20w CFL's while I'm at work (Keeps my mind at ease) and up to 8 cfls when I'm home. I'm feeding Tuesdays, Fridays, & Flushing/Feeding on Sundays. Watering when needed. Not touching them at all on Mondays & Thursdays.. I lost track of which plants are which :/ so I re-labeled them.

-EDIT: Also I've built a slightly bigger box, with proper black/white material on the walls. I will add ventilation and a fan before flowering in it. Also need somewhere to keep the moms when I convert this chamber to FLWR... In the Bathroom? Hrmm.

NOTE: I'm not sure if I mentioned but for the first few weeks I used 1/2 strength nutes just to be safe & not burn my babies. They NEVER showed signs of burning, or any deficiencies.. About a month in I noticed they didn't look 100% so I started feeding every night when I watered them.. I like that you can't really over water a hempy. When they started to reach the end of veg & into flowering the need to be watered/fed every night... They REALLY drink a lot, this is the downfall of such a small Hempy Operation. The Gallon jug could go a day or two. I noticed if you skip on the solo's they will "Deflate" or start to wilt after about 24hrs.

FEB 17
Feb17.JPG

FEB 20
Feb20.JPG

FEB 24
Feb24.JPG

NOTE: The gallon jug started to develop algae so I wrapped it with a black trash bag to block the light.

Feb 26
Bought microbe brew, Kangaroots, & Sledgehammer. I flushed all the gals with sledge using ½ tsp per gallon. I flushed and will wait 2 hours before flushing with PH'd H2O. After this I will be feeding them with Microbe Brew & Kangaroots added to the feeding schedule (Week 3). They look ready and could use more nutes IMO. So I will be feeding 3 times a week. They will be ready for cloning by next week, So I hope to take clones then for sexing.

Note: PH of sledgehammer solution was RED(<5)

#5 I am worried about the algae buildup on the container... Plant looks great though, moving along nicely, roots have made their way to the Res.
#4 looks pretty small/brittle. I'm sure roots didn't expand enough... Might get rid of this one next week???
#1 & #3 after observing the other three I decided to go ahead and top these gals. Didn't trim leaves off like the others. Only topped.

NOTE: I think after I flushed a few of the tips on the fan leaves turned yellow.. Very slight, Didn't worry me much... I now flush them with sledge as the schedule says.. BUT, I don't wait 2 hours.. I just flush them really well & then feed them.

I'm thinking the new micro nutes will help these babies along, 1-4 are basically bonsai due to the size of the container. Need BIGGER CONTAINERS NEXT TIME!

March 2nd Pics
March2ndC.JPG
March2ndB.JPG
March2ndA.JPG

March 5th.
So, quite a bit to update... I am now using a 240w LED (Flowering Model) for Veg... Works great!! Today I took clones and put them in separate quarters to sex them up. Hoping for LADIESSSSSSSS!!! The plants took well to the micro brew & kangaroots, I'm very satisfied with Fox Farms products.

The only problem at all so far is graying of a few lower leaves on 2 plants. I believe I may have poured nutes directly on the leaves.
Also;
2 Days ago when I returned home from work 1 thru 4 where wilting and looked like they where on their way out. I flushed with tap water, and then filled them up with PH'd water and within 2 hours they had shot back up.
NOTE: I believe this was because of the new light... The plants where drinking a lot more water due to higher quality light?I watered them and they perked back up within an hour. This has happend 2-3 times due to being VERY BUSY with life :)

PROBLEMS...
THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH THE SOLO CUPS IS THE PLANTS CAN'T GROW BIG ENOUGH!!! Prob OK for small operation, but turns moms into bonsai... I WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I TRANSPLANT THEM AFTER I KNOW THE SEXES.(5.5-6 weeks from seed)

NOTE: Like I stated before I had no luck with cloning... Ended up sexing the whole plants later... I should have put more thought into the cloning, I didn't give them what they needed (Environment, Proper light, ETC ETC.. Need to do more research on the subject next time)

CRAPPY CLONE SETUP THAT FAILED...;
March5th.JPG

March 9th
WOW, So it looks like they are all girls!!! I was called off work today, so I decided to take action. I prepped a few solo hempys and took a few clones from #5, and #1. I've now placed #1-#4 in the flowering box(Same box just switched light). There first night 12/12 will be Sunday March 10th. 55 — 65 days of flowering means they should be ready to harvest around May 4th — May 13th. I am still following the FF Schedule.

The clones are not looking good so far, I tried them under the 240 but they fell over within an hour. I've placed 5 in baggies and 3 in a cup of water to see if any of them will recover & start a new root system. The baggies are under 4 cfls and the cup is on the top shelf in the bathroom. I've kept #5 out to become mother. I REALLY NEED A CLONING CHAMBER! It's really going to suck if none of the clones take. I'm folling instructions to the T & using "RootTech" cloning hormone.

BAD PICTURES WITH LED ON;
March 19th
Mar19b.JPG
Mar19a.JPG
Mar19.JPG

March 23rd
March2ndD.JPG

April 3rd
I'm still on schedule with feedings, etc.. Except for having "Beatie Bloomz" for week 7. I decided it wasn't worth the purchase, Fox Farm Schedule only uses Beastie Bloomz in week 7 & It's a very small dose. They have stretched quite a bit, I cut the top off my box, and wish I had a bigger space.. A tent would really help. They are still looking healthy, I will be updating tonight. I just purchased Cha-Ching so I can continue to follow the schedule. I will flush with tap water & Light Sledge Hammer tonight and start "week 8" feeding.

NOTE: I also got rid of all but 3 on March 19th... A few had hairs and the others didn't so I kept the big one, and 2 small ones. I also wanted to keep it legal by only having 3 in flower(GOD BLESS COLORADO :D). The pictures of the roots in solo cups are pretty awesome. They really rooted well in the Hempys...

:peace::peace:Thanks for reading!! All notes, constructive criticism, & comments excepted. Thanks everyone, Also wanted to say I learned from reading other grow journals, and information on here & other sites.. If your jumping into your first grow I suggest you READ UP! There is a LOT of information out there.:peace::peace:

Is this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Is this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Actually I thought I deleted this... Re-posted in grow journals.. It is complete at the link below

First Time Grow - Hempy - Fox Farm Nutes - 260w LED

Back
Top Bottom