First time grower - High expectations

Ant Dog

Hey guys . Long time lurker finally deciding it's time to say hi . Thank you to everbody for all the posts , journals , ect .. It has been invaluable to my research . I have been researching for my first grow for over a month now . Litterary every waking moment I have for the last 2 weeks . I seem to found a new passion for life . I'm just constantly excited . I finally placed an order for seeds yesterday . What an agonizing decision that was . I selected 3 fem mondincino purple kush seeds bred by medical seeds . I'm suppose to be getting a free fem kush seed as well . Now my set up . I'm gonna section off my closet . 28 x 22 x 62 inches . This will leave me with 22 inches left that I'm going to section off for mother plants , cloning , and vegetative growth . I also have a fish tank stand I think I'm gonna get involved with a little down the road . Yeah I been eyeballing all my furniture lately . I'm gonna scrog all 4 seeds . After all I read I feel this will be best for me . I'm even thinking about going with sog once I get cloning down . We will talk about that later though . I know it's pretty high expectations for my first grow but I'm not one to do this things halfway . Why can't my first grow be epic .. I think I'm ready . I realize theirs a lot for me to lean stil . It's just no substitution for experience . You can only lean so much from reading . So please any constructive criticism or advice is a greatly appreciated . Or just stop and say hi . I tend be a little shy around new people at first but I'm deff a people person . Thank you guys for listening and let's rock this thing

I forgot to mention lighting . My plan is start with cfl's for veg growth and go to a 250hps for flowering .im also thinking of combining cfl's with a hps for a broader spectrum . I'm open to an hp for the veg growth . I just need to figure out what works best for me . If I was to comine cfl and hps lighting maybe a 150 hps would work .. I'm most concerned with quality not that quantity doesn't mattter lol . Any suggestions would be great . What ever I decide I'm gonna document in great detail that way I have something to compare with if I ever try diffent lighting in the future .

Welcome, ant dog, to the encyclopedia of cannibas! I'm new here, also, and haven't been able to come up with any conceivable ? that there isn't an answer for if you search. Hopefully you'll share your journey with us in a grow journal. You'll find plenty of folks anxious to give a helping hand. Good luck!!

Thanks a lot guys . What a great place this is . All the answers right here . I divided my closet today . Final dimensions 30 x 22 x 66.75 inches . I'm just really excited right now . The journal idea am awesome idea . It would be great if you guys followed me on my journey . Maybe keep me from screwing it up to bad . Do you know if I can tag this to make it into a journal ! If not its not a problem to make a new post . I got time . I imagine me seeds wont be here for a while . It hasn't even been 24 hrs since I ordered them

I also will only have 18 inches left on the top for mother plant space . Im not sure why I thought it was 2 feet . Must of been high lol .Im not sure if that's enough space . I haven't got quite that far with my research lol . I have a couple other options though if not so I'll figure something out . Deff enough room to clone at least

Cheers my friend . Things are gonna be kinda slow for a little while but soon as I get my seeds in things should really get to popping . Thanks a lot for the support . I really appreciate it bro .

You could ask the mods to relocate this into the journal section- but those fellows are very busy, and since you've got so little invested and written here already- just start a journal and copy/paste this into there if you want. Give us a link and I'll sub for sure :thumb:

Sounds like a plan to me . No sense in making a journal here if it's not gonna be seen . I'll make it in a few days after I paint the inside of it white. That way I can at lest post some pics of what's going on . I should be able to leave a link by than . I just finally figured out how to post a pic

Hi everyone Welcome to the 420 Magazine!

I see some new and old faces in here. So let me start off by saying you've come to the right place!

As you can already tell, this magazine is full of incredibly inspiring and motivating members that are here to help and spread cannabis awareness. There's all kinds of information available in the FAQ section under the "Grow Room" tab. If you have any questions or concerns don't hesitate to ask. We're in this together!

All the best and much love,

I appreciate the support bro . I looked through a couple of your journals .. Great stuff bro .. I read your first grow with the cfl and the one about stress training , lolly popping , ect ...im gonna try to read a few more when I get a little more time

Hi everyone Welcome to the 420 Magazine!

I see some new and old faces in here. So let me start off by saying you've come to the right place!

As you can already tell, this magazine is full of incredibly inspiring and motivating members that are here to help and spread cannabis awareness. There's all kinds of information available in the FAQ section under the "Grow Room" tab. If you have any questions or concerns don't hesitate to ask. We're in this together!

All the best and much love,

Any suggestions on hps lighting ? I sectioned off a 30 x 22 x 66.75 part of my closet . So about 5 and half feet high . I'm gonna eventually make use of the space above so it's complete boxed out . The wall leads right to my washer and drier so displacing heat shouldn't be a Problem . Think a 250 would be enough or to big ? Think i should use a 4OO ? I'm also thinking about keeping 200 wz of cfl do achieve a broader spectrum . Ultimately the quality and quantity is what matters most but at the same time I don't wanna be wasting electric . My plan is very fluid . I'm gonna scrog too to keep everything low . Thanks a lot trying to this thing right . Thanks for any help

I highly recommend the 400W over the 250W. You're going to appreciate the yield much better. (since your thread is titled "First time grower -'High expectations'". I started with a 400W and I was a happy camper. She did me some wonderful harvests. Just check my early journals. Now I run a 1000W HPS and I couldn't be happier. Love the penetration and the coverage. And most importantly the buds are HUGE!

The cross spectrum is a good idea. I also run a cross spectrum. With my 1000W HPS and a 250W Metal Halide. The CFLs help a little bit. Not to sure how much really.

Hope that helps!

To be honest. If you have money to spend I would recommend getting an air cooled light. I grew with a 400W and the heat it gave off was a problem I spent a lot of money trying to fix.

Now I have a 1000W air cooled and the temps are manageable. I would shop around between Amazon and eBay.

Yeah I would get what ever works best right now . It will just cost me more down the road if I don't . I was actually reading about cooking tunes and how hood reflector can cause hot spots .when you say cooling you mean balast right ? Yeah what ever works best will do . I guess a 400 with 400 electric ballat .a 600 would prob over light it maybe ?

If you think you may be expanding in the future then consider getting a dimmable 600 watt, or even 1000 watt ballast. I think 400 watts is all you need for that size of a space, but -you can get a dimmable ballast which has settings for 250, 400,600, and 650 watts ( or a range similar to that). It is very handy and I don't think the price is much different than a fixed wattage ballast. When you have seedlings in there you can dim the light to 250- then crank it as high as you like later on. And if you expand to a bigger space you'll always have a use for that light in the future.

Back
Top Bottom