First time grower looking at turnkey room solutions

HiddenDragon

Hello everyone,

I'm a first time grower looking to get a new system up and running. I've been attracted to the turnkey solutions since I am NOT handy in the least. (I'm partially disabled, etc., building a cabinet or room myself just isn't possible).

I am comparing two particular product lines. I used the search function both on these forums and did some browsing on the general web as well. I've seen a bunch of mixed opinion, and a lot of infighting between the 2 companies. Was hoping to get unbiased opinions from folks here.

The products I am comparing are:

Sunlight Solutions Mini Mortgage Lifter Grow Tent

Sunlight Solutions, LLC :: Plug-N-Play Systems :: Mini Mortgage Lifter Grow Tent

AND

SuperCloset's 4'x4' SuperRoom

Super Closet

Sunlight Sheds was referred to as the goto source in a book on growing I had read, but their site looks like it hasn't been updated since 2010, and I'm also positive they exaggerate their yields using marketing-speak.

Supercloset's have their BubbleFlow Bucket system which looks great, but I'd only be able to put 6 plants in the same space vs. 19 with the Sunlight Sheds Product.

All in all, my concerns are the following:

1) Ease of Use - As I said, I'm partially disabled. I can still move a 50lb bag a short distance or refill a water resevoir...its more of a series of range of motion problems than a strength issue per se. I want to have a plug n play solution that will be difficult for me to mess up and won't require me to constantly poke at it too much or require anything other than 'mild' physical activity to stay on top of. I'm not really concerned with maximizing yield as a commercial operation would be. I can grow into optimizing my system, would prefer to start with something easy.

2) Cost - I can spend between 2-4k total on the project. Seeds are the only thing I own thusfar.

3) Maximizing my seeds potential - The seeds I own are of an extremely high quality pedigree. They are the last of a particular batch from Sensi. The reason I bring this up is the salesperson at SuperCloset said I would be far better served if I have these awesome genetics by using his companies Bubble bucket hydro system, even though the plant sites are 1/3 his competitors since they are so much bulkier, etc.

Any thoughts, opinions, commentaries, warnings, links, anything at all really, would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT - Also open to other prefabricated solutions if you have any to suggest. Not married to the product lines of anyone yet.

i bought a northern lights bloom box in january and so far things are ok i think... as far as the box its great it has everthing preprogramed in all you do is set the time and your good to go might be worth your time to check it out :thumb:

i bought a northern lights bloom box in january and so far things are ok i think... as far as the box its great it has everthing preprogramed in all you do is set the time and your good to go might be worth your time to check it out :thumb:

By Northern Lights do you mean BCNL? I just stumbled on them a few moments ago, now I'm considering their product line as well. I think I'm pretty well decided on tent system > cabinet system, as I like the lesser expense of tents, and do not need the extra stealth available from cabinets.

Thanks for the extra company to check out though, much appreciated.

As far as simple/turnkey type of set-up, the BCNL products are hard to beat. They aren't cheap, but they work, and the company seems to stand behind their product nicely. In my opinion they have the superior product in the prefabricated/turnkey market.

I used the "Mothership" from BC Northern Lights when I started growing and was able to produce really great meds for myself with it. There are a few nice successful grows with their product here.

Yes, I like the fact that the BCNL guys seem to be available everyday for such a wide time period as well. I've been in contact with them several days in a row now (into the weekend, even! im impressed with that) to ask them clarification questions about their setup.

I was a little hesitant to try deep water culture with top feed for my first ever attempt as I have read in several places that it is easier to mess up, but if their support is that good that makes me a lot less worried about it.

On the bright side, it appears that their setup is going to let me get 18 sites that can support some decently tall and wide plants. And they do look to be higher quality from what I can ascertain in pictures; the fact that their feedback is nearly universally positive is another bonus.

Anyways, I'm going to be ordering in the next week or so and will do a cherry popping grow journal out of the whole thing here in case anyone is interested in seeing it.

I'm going to be growing an interesting strain also; Jack Herer x Super Skunk from Sensi. Hoping to get a good # of the Sativa dominant phenotype. If anyone has experience with this strain, I have a thread with questions about it in the Seeds/Clones/Strains subforum. I'll link everything together into the grow journal once I have enough to justify creating that also.

really like ther support! they even take calls on the weekend at most hours even on there cell phones!! can't bet the people there great

Yes, I like the fact that the BCNL guys seem to be available everyday for such a wide time period as well. I've been in contact with them several days in a row now (into the weekend, even! im impressed with that) to ask them clarification questions about their setup.

I was a little hesitant to try deep water culture with top feed for my first ever attempt as I have read in several places that it is easier to mess up, but if their support is that good that makes me a lot less worried about it.

On the bright side, it appears that their setup is going to let me get 18 sites that can support some decently tall and wide plants. And they do look to be higher quality from what I can ascertain in pictures; the fact that their feedback is nearly universally positive is another bonus.

Anyways, I'm going to be ordering in the next week or so and will do a cherry popping grow journal out of the whole thing here in case anyone is interested in seeing it.

I'm going to be growing an interesting strain also; Jack Herer x Super Skunk from Sensi. Hoping to get a good # of the Sativa dominant phenotype. If anyone has experience with this strain, I have a thread with questions about it in the Seeds/Clones/Strains subforum. I'll link everything together into the grow journal once I have enough to justify creating that also.

With their set-up, and instructions, it's pretty straight forward. Let me know if you get one and need help or start a journal. I have a pretty solid understanding of their products, and have helped others here with questions on them. I'm glad to help if I can.

With the limited height you'll have, Jack Herer x Super Skunk might not be the easiest strain (though it sure sounds good). Indicas or indica dominant hybrids will work best - a Sativa dominant plant can grow upwards of several feet... With some practice you can tame them, but it might be easier starting with a plant that has more indica in it.

I would suggest very little to no real veg time, especially if you want to fill many of those plant sites with a strain like that. 12 hours of light from seed would work nicely in there. You'll never have room to fill all of your plant sites except maybe that way. There was a good grow done here by a member called "WeedNFeed" that shows good use of the "Producer" which is what I'm guessing you are looking at? You'll learn a lot about it in his journal:

BCNL Producer & DIY Cabs 3 Strains

Let me know if I can help at all. :)

really like ther support! they even take calls on the weekend at most hours even on there cell phones!! can't bet the people there great

Agreed, that's been my experience too. Sometimes they're a little rough around the edges as far as professionalism, but they ARE growers and DO know their stuff from my experience. I've called them late at night on weekends and gotten great support. Definitely above average service and quality product.

I actually am not looking at their cabinet solutions; they are now into the tents as well. I figure I may as well use the tent; from what I can tell, the markup is significantly lower than on the cabinets. I'm doing a full price analysis and cost comparison of 'equivalent' (as far as I can make them anyway, its never going to be true apples to apples comparison, ofc) systems from Sunlight, SuperCloset, BCNL, and a local supplier in the area.

I also have the extra room needed for the system, so that's not a concern. The tent will be sitting in an empty, sterilized room that I've covered in plastic. I also think this will let me get away with the Herer x Skunk strain, because I'll have up to 6' of vertical growth height, and will be able to veg them normally? Would maybe induce flowering at 3' since they supposedly have another growth spurt during flowering, but that's a question for the journal.

Anyways, here are links to what I'm looking at now:

"8-Man" Hydroponic Grow Tent Setup - BC Northern Lights
Closet 800 Indoor Hydroponic System - BC Northern Lights
Hydro18 Indoor Hydroponic System - BC Northern Lights

They claim with a few other things, I'll have everything I need to plug n play with that, and the quote for the whole kit and caboodle was ~$1900 iirc.

Also, thanks in particular Xlr8 for your info so far. It's encouraging to know that there is an experienced guy who is already interested and being extremely helpful.

EDIT - I already have the Jack Flash seeds in hand, and I have only 10 of them. That's why I'm eager to use them, and willing to tailor my system around them a bit so to speak. Was thinking of starting 4-6, then filling the other sites out with clones from there if I even needed to, giving all my plants (and me, as a newbie grower) plenty of room to work, and reserving a good portion of seed stock in case of disaster as well.

I actually am not looking at their cabinet solutions; they are now into the tents as well. I figure I may as well use the tent; from what I can tell, the markup is significantly lower than on the cabinets. I'm doing a full price analysis and cost comparison of 'equivalent' (as far as I can make them anyway, its never going to be true apples to apples comparison, ofc) systems from Sunlight, SuperCloset, BCNL, and a local supplier in the area.

I also have the extra room needed for the system, so that's not a concern. The tent will be sitting in an empty, sterilized room that I've covered in plastic. I also think this will let me get away with the Herer x Skunk strain, because I'll have up to 6' of vertical growth height, and will be able to veg them normally? Would maybe induce flowering at 3' since they supposedly have another growth spurt during flowering, but that's a question for the journal.

Anyways, here are links to what I'm looking at now:

"8-Man" Hydroponic Grow Tent Setup - BC Northern Lights
Closet 800 Indoor Hydroponic System - BC Northern Lights
Hydro18 Indoor Hydroponic System - BC Northern Lights

They claim with a few other things, I'll have everything I need to plug n play with that, and the quote for the whole kit and caboodle was ~$1900 iirc.

Also, thanks in particular Xlr8 for your info so far. It's encouraging to know that there is an experienced guy who is already interested and being extremely helpful.

EDIT - I already have the Jack Flash seeds in hand, and I have only 10 of them. That's why I'm eager to use them, and willing to tailor my system around them a bit so to speak. Was thinking of starting 4-6, then filling the other sites out with clones from there if I even needed to, giving all my plants (and me, as a newbie grower) plenty of room to work, and reserving a good portion of seed stock in case of disaster as well.

Oh, gotcha on the tent/height thing. If you have a little more height, then I'd suggest go for it with those seeds. 6' is a nice grow height. But, even then you'll want to flower well before 3'. I realize a lot of strains say they'll "double" in height, but many of mine have more than doubled. Sativa leaning plants will sometimes veg for as long as they want before flowering, regardless of light cycle, so it's often best to flower early if growing indoors.

If you vegged 4-6 plants to 18" before switching to 12/12, you'll be starving for room in every direction by the time they are mature, assuming healthy plants and environment. I'm not intimately familiar with the strain you're planning on growing, but if they have Sativa tendencies, they can get really big. More than triple their "veg" size is not uncommon.

My advice would be to do the 4-6 that you are planning, and get a gauge for yourself as to their tendency to fill your space.

The only way to ever use all of your sites would be to veg for only a very short time if at all, and train them from branching out much. Frankly, that done well would most likely be the key to maximizing yield with your hydro system and space, but I'd start with a few like you're suggesting, and study up big here along the way. Definitely don't let them veg to 3' or you'll be out of space quick! Remember, without a fair amount of training, these plants get wide also...

One last thing, make sure you're accounting for space under the lamp as it gets pretty hot - you probably won't want them getting closer than 12" or so depending on the size of the bulb, type of light, and ventilation system. Stronger bulbs require greater space from the plant to the bulb.

Oh, and you're welcome. I'm glad if this helps some! :)

Back
Top Bottom