First time grower questions?

I want it all

Hey first time on the forums been checking out all the threads and really loving this place. I'm planning out my first medical grow and just thought i'd ask a couple questions. The set up i am looking for is probably a 4x4 grow tent with a 600 watt hps. I've seen a few tents for sale on ebay where it comes with 400 mhs/hps lights with hood reflector,carbon filter and fans. I guess my question is are these tent packages even worth it? Or should i get everything seperately? If you guys have any reccomendations on any sites to get these items i'd greatly appreciate it. Also i have already looked on the sponsor sites and have went through each sponsor site and found nothing.

Hey first time on the forums been checking out all the threads and really loving this place. I'm planning out my first medical grow and just thought i'd ask a couple questions. The set up i am looking for is probably a 4x4 grow tent with a 600 watt hps. I've seen a few tents for sale on ebay where it comes with 400 mhs/hps lights with hood reflector,carbon filter and fans. I guess my question is are these tent packages even worth it? Or should i get everything seperately? If you guys have any reccomendations on any sites to get these items i'd greatly appreciate it. Also i have already looked on the sponsor sites and have went through each sponsor site and found nothing.

First question is, what's your price range. Also have any particular name brands you are interested in?
I am a sort of retailer.

I guess my price range would differ under circumstances. I'd say that 5 to 6 is ideal for me. However i am looking for quality not just the best price. I'm looking for a tent that has no light leakage, sturdy enough to hold reflector hood light, filter, fan without having the top collapse. From the research I have done the jardin has got really good reviews. 2nd would be growlab. If there are any other ones I haven't mentioned please drop a little knowledge on me. I've also looked at some of the packages on Htgsupply and I am really liking there 600 watt tent deal. Let me know what you guys think.

P.s first time posting and I'm not familiar with the rules of posting and what not please just let me know if I'm on the wrong forum or saying the wrong things.

Hey well I'll have to look into tent prices and such. I do know that Jardin is a good company have used and sold their tents in the past but no longer have that connection.
I currently have cool tubes with lumatek digi ballast and hortilux bulbs or Digilux bulbs.

i want it all,

is this tent going to be inside or outside?

anyway to the point, if you are worried about the smell (which you should be) a tent does not hold the smell in too well...also temps will be quite an issue...it will be difficult too keep it warm when its cold and vice versa compared to a fully finished insultaed grow space/room/closet/cabinet

just a thought that you should be thinking about....

-upinsmoke thanks for that info. Well i did do the research and it does seem that tents do have a heating issue. I do plan to do this indoor. My second choice would probably be the closet. I would like to keep it simple that's why i chose the tent since everything is set up for you once it comes. Im not much of a handyman and would not know where to begin. Are there any videos you could link me to or step by step closet setups you can link me to?Not looking to do some sort of huge op. Just want enough to for my medical needs. Also if the smell is not held in well with a tent would a carbon filter kill all the smell or would it just be a waste to get a carbon filter with a tent setup?

Tent packages certainly have their bonuses - less thinking for a new grower. But I have to say that I don't like the idea of making things too easy. When you aren't thinking about how to grow and why you're doing what you're doing, you're going to make mistakes and have no idea what's going wrong.

I say grow weed the hard way, by hand, by building your own grow room. It's going to help you learn how to grow and how to grow well. When you don't try to learn how to manage plants and you don't try to learn how to create the best growing conditions, all you're doing is going through the motions of growing.

Personally, I think it's better to look at the quality of nutes you get first because that's what's going to support the growth processes of your plant, from start to finish. Sensi A&B by Advanced Nutrients is a good choice for beginners, like you.

Check out the growing calculator on the AN site to learn how to use it.

If you want to go with the tents, go for it, but eh, I think you might have a few problems when you're using something that is set up for an ideal grow. No one has an ideal grow....

I just set up my grow closet. A couple days and not to much work other than the ventilation. I have a grow journal started, but I am not sure how to link it into the post. I think you can find it from my profile. I pretty much covered the floor and walls with white film, put up a rubbermaid shelf at the top of the closet for supplies, hung the lights from the shelf, hung a fan from the chain for the lights, bought a tray to catch excess water and put a drain tube in it, and propped the tray up on milk crates. Its working well. I have a humidity/ temp gauge with daily lows and highs that I bought from home depot for $9.

Good luck with the setup. If you run into trouble let us know!

Awesome feedbacks. I've decided to take the advice of many on here and pass on the tent. I went out to a hardware store and got myself a 48" closet about 7 feet high. I'm now not sure if i should paint the inside of the closet or staple it down with mylar...? As for ventilation i will drill a 4 inch hole on the side or top of the closet to push air out to the attic and a hole with a fan to suck in fresh cool air. I will have a 600 watt hps inside the closet. Any advice from here on out is much appreciated.

My advice would be make sure you have enough ventilation.....sounds like it is a decent sized cab but that 600 w hps will get hot! Try to keep temps in the low 80's or under with light's on...

good luck and welcome to 420....read all you can.....the info is outstanding!

i want it all, if you remember any advice you receive make sure you remember this....sometimes the easy was is not always the best....this hobby takes sweat,tears,hard work, and alot of dedication...the more effort you put forth the better your end results will be...although it may not be the easiest route on the wallet...expect a great return on your investment

I get what you're saying. BTW this grow and any future grows is not for profit. I do however want to grow the best buds i can smoke. Just set up the cabinet last night (took me 4 hours). Size of the closet is 48"W, 20"L, 70"H. Will be purchasing a fan and hanging it up inside today for that wind effect. Will be getting some mylar as well and covering every little inch inside the cabinet with it. To keep it short my setup will be the same as this video i've linked except with one closet not two. Please i want all your feedbacks. Things you would do differently and things you like.
YouTube - Marijuana Growing Closets

One thing I noticed. I think the scrubber works better if you pull through it rather than blow out through it. Other than that it looks awesome. I may incorporate a cabnet like this into my grow once I move (next summer). Good job on the research!!! +reps

Well im not really familiar with how a scrubber works, but i know what it works for. if you know what i mean. So are you saying to bring in air through the scrubber? Instead of ventilating with it? I always thought you ventilate through it to kill any odors.

Awesome feedbacks. I've decided to take the advice of many on here and pass on the tent. I went out to a hardware store and got myself a 48" closet about 7 feet high. I'm now not sure if i should paint the inside of the closet or staple it down with mylar...? As for ventilation i will drill a 4 inch hole on the side or top of the closet to push air out to the attic and a hole with a fan to suck in fresh cool air. I will have a 600 watt hps inside the closet. Any advice from here on out is much appreciated.

I think with a 600w you will have heat problems. I grow in a 2.5' X 4' X 7' closet and had to switch from a 400w hps to T-5's and CFL's. I also do 12/12 grows from seed, no need for a veg closet.

Herb fellow we have the same size closet. So you were having problems with a 400w hps? Ahhh...you just busted my bubble. Ok so i will have to reconsider lights now. Any thing else you can tell me because i am really open to any experience that is relatively same size as my op.

I have fresh air being pulled in from the crawl space of my house, a 95 CFM fan pulling through a carbon filter for odor control and to pull heat out and a small fan blowing in my grow room. When I used the 400w hps, my colas were greatly affected by the heat. I grew some great pot with the 400w, but grow tighter buds with the heat lowered. I average a harvest (dried) of 4 to 6 ozs. every three months which is fine since it is only for medical personal use.

That sounds really nice. However my space does not have a crawl space. Im thinking about pulling air just from a window. BTW have you ever vented out crawlspace..? If so how did that work out for ya or anybody else reading? I would really like to see some of your grows i checked your profile for a journal but i didn't see any. I think i will try the 400 as a first time test run so to speak. Your yield is around the ball park i am looking to get as well. I'll keep it updated when everything is up and running. Thanks for the replies and all the feedbacks.

Herb Fellow
Since we have a very similar set up i plan on getting a 95 cfm fan as well. Before i go out and purchase i want to ask you where you are ventilating and does it smell outside of your grow area with the filter? I am trying to keep odor issues at the very minimal or none at all if possible. Thanks.

- 420 Magazine Photo Gallery
There are some pics from when I did the news. The pics of the lowryder were with the 400w. Then I had to move into a smaller closet :( When the closet went smaller the heat went up. The only time my wife notices the smell is when I have plants hanging to dry.

I have heard that it works better to pull air in through it. My scrubber is the only ventilation piece in my closet. The rest is mounted in the attic and vents to outside. Most attics have ventialtion holes covered with screen. I sealed the exhaust tube to one of these and out it goes!

Back
Top Bottom