First time grower!

Torontonian416

420 Member
So quick question..

What would yield more in a hydroponic DWC setup doing LST and scrogging.

1 plant in a 4x4 tent with 600W HPS light
1 plant in a 4x4 tent with 2 600W HPS light (not sure if thats too much light though)
2 plants in a 4x4 tent with 2 600W HPS lights
2 plants in a 4x4 tent with 1 600 W HPS light

OR

1 or 2 plants in a 4x8 with 2 600W HPS lights
1 or 2 plants in a 5x9 with 2 600W HPS lights

If theres any other variables you need please let me know and ill get back to you ASAP.

Thanks very much and happy growing!!

1 or 2 plants doesn't much matter except that you'll have to veg longer with one plant to fill up the SCROG.

One 600w will give you about 37w per/sq/ft which is about minimum for flower.
Your best bet is to build a LED to fit your 4x4 exactly so you have better canopy coverage.

So would putting 4 plants in one of the tents yield more?

As long as the space is full the yield should be close to the same regardless if its 1 plant or 10.
The more plants the shorter the veg time though.

I see, so how much do you expect the yield to be total from :
2 4x4 tents, with one 600W HPS light in each and 2 plants in each?
Or 4 plants in 1 4x4 tent with 2 600W HPS lights.

Also is 1200W overkill for a 4x4 tent space?

So many variables its impossible to say.
Myself I usually average between 8 to 9 oz per plant.
20170503_084900.jpg

Anything is possible but getting 5lbs from 4 plants might be a stretch unless all the planets align and you hold your tongue just right.

Might be a tad toasty with 4, 600w HPS in the tent.

I see..is the .5 - 1 gram per W rule usually including co2? or without co2.

Hello , here goes my 2 cents , light is important but it is only 1 of 6 very important parts of growing , more plants means more time needed to look after them , have you ever grown before (growing skills ), the bigger the tent the more equipment is required , doing a hydro grow requires meters (ph,ppm, temps ), how much money are you prepared to throw at this ? , do you have access to a r.o. water system , do you have the ability to vent and intake good quality air , do you have a way to control humidity for various stages of plant growth , do you have a place to hang dry -cure your bud are you doing a a perpetual grow , do you have access to help you with your plants when you can't be there , (a complete cycle of a grow is some where between 4-5 months min ), i think i would look at all my variables before i decide on a light or tent , you can buy the best seed and the best light but if all these other factors are not in line then they don't mean shit , i would start small and learn to read my plants and understand what they are telling you they want because every plant is different , regulars ,photo , auto flower , plus different, plants ,indica, sativa ,indica/sativa hybrids plus different species of plants (pheno ), what are your security risks , answer all these questions first then come up with a plan of action , 600 watt hid is plenty for 1 plant and a 1000 watt led per plant is perfect , hids create alot more heat than leds , i prefer the new leds from mars and budget ,(our sponsors ) over hids but that is my preference , read up the pros and cons of both lighting styles as they are both excellent lights they just come with their own unique set of rules and tricks , , sorry about the rant but my bong got in the way !! good luck, p.s i am from cambridge -your neighbor

Hello , here goes my 2 cents , light is important but it is only 1 of 6 very important parts of growing , more plants means more time needed to look after them , have you ever grown before (growing skills ), the bigger the tent the more equipment is required , doing a hydro grow requires meters (ph,ppm, temps ), how much money are you prepared to throw at this ? , do you have access to a r.o. water system , do you have the ability to vent and intake good quality air , do you have a way to control humidity for various stages of plant growth , do you have a place to hang dry -cure your bud are you doing a a perpetual grow , do you have access to help you with your plants when you can't be there , (a complete cycle of a grow is some where between 4-5 months min ), i think i would look at all my variables before i decide on a light or tent , you can buy the best seed and the best light but if all these other factors are not in line then they don't mean shit , i would start small and learn to read my plants and understand what they are telling you they want because every plant is different , regulars ,photo , auto flower , plus different, plants ,indica, sativa ,indica/sativa hybrids plus different species of plants (pheno ), what are your security risks , answer all these questions first then come up with a plan of action , 600 watt hid is plenty for 1 plant and a 1000 watt led per plenty is perfect , hids create alot more heat than leds , i prefer the new leds from mars and budget ,(our sponsors ) over hids but that is my preference , read up the pros and cons of both lighting styles as they are both excellent lights they just come with their own unique set of rules and tricks , , sorry about the rant but my bong got in the way !! good luck

I have done some research on growing hydroponically so i have the meters, and the equipment. I have 4 people investing in this so throwing $$ isnt a HUGE deal as we split it 4 ways. I dont have access to a r.o water system. I have a window in the room that im planning to put my tent in so i think that i can vent and intake good quality air. Controlling humidity i also think i will be able to do with a dehumidifer and a fan + a humidity reader (Please let me know if theres any other good ways to control humidity).Yes i do have a place to hang dry my bud. Wasnt planning on doing a perpetual grow. Yes i have roommates so there will always be someone to check on the plants.

How do you guys deal with so much volts and electricity in one room? Im not sure if my room can handle all 4 lights + ac + fan +humidifier+water pumps + air pumps.

then you just answered 1 of your questions as leds use a lot less electricity , you can run 4 -1000 watt leds off of 1 outlet and put 1 in each corner of your 4x4x8 tent and still have enough electricity for your fans and intake and exhaust , this is what i run , you may need to run a air conditioner off a different outlet , extension cord time helps here , water pumps and air pumps on another outlet , maybe the same as the air conditioner - i use a small cool air vaporizer for humidity and to lower your temps but i grow in a basement of a home - not sure what your grow situation is .plus in the summer the room gets hotter and in the winter the room is cooler generally speaking , my basement only gets to 68 f in the winter so i need heat ,and cooler air in summer these are all pieces of equipment you will need kicking around to control your environment, plants need a daily (atleast )inspection , how do you plan on keeping the temps of you rez at a constant 70 -72 degree`s as this is crucial for hydro , dwc etc , and are you using a recycling system or drain to waste , that is the next question for you ?

4 good size - good yielders will fill a 4x4x8 tent perfectly unless you want to get into a lot of training bending ,super cropping etc plus 4 plants is the max limit of legal grow in ontario -unless you have a medical grow license for more ,plus i don't recommend sativa strains for a indoor grow , they just get to tall and take longer to flower .

then you just answered 1 of your questions as leds use a lot less electricity , you can run 4 -1000 watt leds off of 1 outlet and put 1 in each corner of your 4x4x8 tent and still have enough electricity for your fans and intake and exhaust , this is what i run , you may need to run a air conditioner off a different outlet , extension cord time helps here , water pumps and air pumps on another outlet , maybe the same as the air conditioner - i use a small cool air vaporizer for humidity and to lower your temps but i grow in a basement of a home - not sure what your grow situation is .plus in the summer the room gets hotter and in the winter the room is cooler generally speaking , my basement only gets to 68 f in the winter so i need heat ,and cooler air in summer these are all pieces of equipment you will need kicking around to control your environment, plants need a daily (atleast )inspection , how do you plan on keeping the temps of you rez at a constant 70 -72 degree`s as this is crucial for hydro , dwc etc , and are you using a recycling system or drain to waste , that is the next question for you ?

I see, do you mind linking the led lights your using? Or could you recommend some good brands? I can run an extension cord for my ac and some other things aswell so that wont be a problem. Keeping my rez at the constant 70 degrees im not sure yet, was looking into getting a water chiller and frozen water bottles. As for changing my rez water i actually have a question. I was planning on putting each plant in a 10 gallon sterilite bin. When i need to change the water i would fill an extra bin with water + w.e nutrients it needs and switch it out. Clean the one i switched and do it over if needed. Is this process okay? Anything to make it quicker/better?

.5 is pretty normal.
1gr/w is very doable especially with newer LEDs.
I've only managed right at 1gr/w a couple times but that was with Blurple lights.
My new lights should pretty easily get more than 1gr/w

Thanks do you mind linking what lights your using currently? Or recommending some good brands?

4 of theses in a 4x4x8 tent is what I use for veg and flower off of 1 outlet and fans and meters , these are the 1000 watt leds from mars off the big A , These are all you will need for good light penetration , this is what I use ,1 in each corner of the tent .these have a great reflector on them that focuses the light down on to your plants and doesn't just scatter it all around the room .

4 Mars 1000 is certainly an option and I am sure would work fine.
That's 600w with 4 lights that are about 14" x 13" each.
About $600

Or can build one light that fits the 4 x 4 space exactly for even coverage that's 650w and measures 4' x 4' so theres just even coverage wall to wall.
Or build 2 lights that are 2' x 4'
Be about $700, about the same price but better diodes, more efficient.
BUT, ya gotta build it yourself.

Back
Top Bottom