First-Time Indoor Growing - Starting at the Beginning - Advice Welcome!

AnonIdent

I'm trying to set up a pro, albeit small operation.

I'm moving into a new apartment in a few weeks and I'd like to set up one or two plants to grow. I've just started this process and have been trying to read a bunch online and now I finally have enough information to start asking somewhat coherent questions.

I will be posting my trials and tribulations throughout this whole process.

--------------

Grow-tent: I want to be able to grow one or two plants in my bedroom Dark Room II? (2'x2'x4' --- maybe?). There are just so many options and I'm not quite sure what to do. I want to ensure I have a high quality set-up and don't want to cut any corners

Light: Not quite sure what to get, but it seems that a strong LED light would be effective here. A similar user here is using a 400 Wt HPS bulb, but I'm not quite sure what the pro's con's are here---only that a bright cool light is required

Heating/Ventilation: Fan draws air in from the outside puts it through a carbon filter (remove odor). This keeps CO2 levels low, humidity low, and temp low. Right? Anything specific that needs to be considered for a fan

Watering/Soil: I'm probably going to use pre-made soil. Haven't quite gotten this far yet.

Seeds: Probably buy these online, no medical card, so again not quite sure.

--------------

When I'm trying to start out what else do I need to consider, what's the best way to go about actually starting? Cost isn't a huge concern, but I'd like to be efficient ---- eg Buy the wrong grow-tent/light/etc.

I'm really just looking for some help and a guiding hand.

UR only growing two plants so why not start off by Mylar the closet walls an use it unless u just want a tent. U could spend thousands of dollars an end result may b shit don't get wrapped up n that. If you stay with jut two I think a 150 or 250 is perfect make it a mh/hps system as u grow promise that will change. Nutes r trial an error. Attitude seeds an have patients they will do the rest

Carbon filter u can get a 4in combo an will need to bring in fresh air. Fans for instance follow a temp of not more that 80 an nothing less than 70 UR plants r like u as for comfort if u hot as hell they r to same as cold. An just do it don't make it hard it's not

Here is what I've chosen so far for my grow tent

Tent: Secret Jardin Dark Room II Pro 60 - 24 x 24 x 64 Inches ----135$
Light: iPower 400 Wt MH/HPS Kit (includes ballast,timer,dimmer) --- 185$
Ventilation:4'' inline fan w/ carbon scrubber (exhaust) --- 90$

What else would I need to construct the grow-tent itself? I think I would need a thermometer,humidity probe as well? Also what tubing is typically used? Do I need an intake fan as well?

----After I square away what grow tent I'm buying I'll be posting more about actually growing!

A few people have said that the 400 Wt light would be too hot. Recommendations for a cooler light? Should I go for a smaller MH/HPS or change or to CFL?

buy a cool tube, then run it like this [filter]- [cooltube]- ectractor fan pulling air out through cooltube and fiter should keep tems down a bit or buy another inline and set up filter sperately

Here is what I've chosen so far for my grow tent

Tent: Secret Jardin Dark Room II Pro 60 - 24 x 24 x 64 Inches ----135$
Light: iPower 400 Wt MH/HPS Kit (includes ballast,timer,dimmer) --- 185$
Ventilation:4'' inline fan w/ carbon scrubber (exhaust) --- 90$

What else would I need to construct the grow-tent itself? I think I would need a thermometer,humidity probe as well? Also what tubing is typically used? Do I need an intake fan as well?

----After I square away what grow tent I'm buying I'll be posting more about actually growing!

I bought the IPower Ballast and light set and it quit working within 5 months. I would look for a better ballast. (I don't want to sound negative. The ballast died when the circuit breaker popped. But a lot of ballasts have built in protection against this... Unless you can guarantee a clean power supply, I would get a better ballast. There, I feel better with this edit).

The Secret Jardin grow tents are pretty awesome - would be hard to beat that one for your purposes.

A 4" fan should be sufficient for your grow and tent size. And if you set the ventilation up properly, you shouldn't need anything more than passive intakes.

:goodluck:

i use a lumatek 400 watt digital ballast that can also be dimmed down to 250 watts for vegetative growth, it also has a super lumen function that can over power the lamp by 10%. you want a metal halide lamp for vegetative growth and a high pressure sodium lamp for flowering. i think a temperature/humidity gauge, ph meter, ppm meter, 30x jewellers loop should be part of any grow. subscribed

https://www.google.com search 30x jewellers loop

https://www.google.com search temperature humidity gauge

https://www.google.com search ph meter

https://www.google.com search ppm meter

I really like this one here:

Meade TS33C-M Temperature and Humidity Sensor with LCD, White

and this is the base:

Meade TM005X-M Wireless Indoor/Outdoor Thermo Hygrometer

You purchase the base, and then up to 3 additional sensors - and all can be viewed from the same base station. Very convenient for a grow operation.

I agree - the lumatek is a great ballast. That is what I purchased to replace the IPower. Much better quality and construction :thumb:

Could always just go for a cheap light and ballast kit on amazon to start out...

That is the IPower.

And yes, I did go down that road...

Is this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Back
Top Bottom