First Timer, really lost

Weeda

Hello, 420 Magazine Members.

Couple days ago i decided to give it a shot and grow some plant, for personal use only.

i did the towel method for the seeds, and moved them to soil.

5 plants , and 350watt lights .. i know i should go for more but could u tell me how much watts should i get

and whats the next step ? i don't know what to do :love:

re: First Timer, really lost

you will need to get more watts - as the plant grows, it needs more light (lumens)

How much space do you have? power? is the room blacked out to prevent light leaking in during dark stage?

How much room and power you have - can tell you how much light you can use - most houses can support 2 - 600 watt lights without problems, but you also need inline fans, exhaust fans, and oscillating fans. You need temp and humidity gauge.

You will need nutrients to feed for vegging stage, and then separate for blooming stage.

Pot size, how much room you have, how big the plants will be - and how much you will harvest depends on the pot size you grow in.

- Take your time to read the journals on here - the can describe a grow room, its components, stuff you need, and issues that will pop up

DN

you will need to get more watts - as the plant grows, it needs more light (lumens)

How much space do you have? power? is the room blacked out to prevent light leaking in during dark stage?

How much room and power you have - can tell you how much light you can use - most houses can support 2 - 600 watt lights without problems, but you also need inline fans, exhaust fans, and oscillating fans. You need temp and humidity gauge.

You will need nutrients to feed for vegging stage, and then separate for blooming stage.

Pot size, how much room you have, how big the plants will be - and how much you will harvest depends on the pot size you grow in.

- Take your time to read the journals on here - the can describe a grow room, its components, stuff you need, and issues that will pop up

DN

am growing in apartment lol , am just a student

am planning to get 600watts lights , and am growing in a room in my apartment .

am still in the first step , did read couple articles who said i should give them 18 hours of light !! and am that stupid all plants died

had to start all over again . so i want to start this time right.

i have 12x12 , 4 pots
am using seedling soil
regular fan

"also need inline fans, exhaust fans, and oscillating fans. You need temp and humidity gauge. "
inline fans exhaust fans , do i really need those for 4 plants and small apartment ?

how can i provide humidity ?

Yes, all the plants should have 18 hours of light, the type of light matters though (cfl, or metal halide would probably be best) the amount of wattage is based on the size of your grow area (you want x lumens per sq/ft, but you gotta watch for heat issues as well). Also, dont give them any fertilizers right away, and dont over water!!! As for fans, you want a good exchange of air for 2 reasons, first the plants need fresh air to thrive, second, it keeps the heat down... Keep the temps in the mid 20'sC, or mid 70's F.

image_2.jpg

this is the light am using 4 of those

there is a full and exhaustive guide to growing herb on this forum, you'd be better off reading that than asking for the basis to be repeated here :Namaste:

yeah i know , but i grapped the wrong ones , i took 2 250watt heat lamp lol

I replied

am growing in apartment lol , am just a student

am planning to get 600watts lights , and am growing in a room in my apartment .

A room is good, but they are air tight - you need to plan for exhausting the hot air from the lights out of the room, and cool, fresh air into the room. It is possible to use the room air - ie - you have a tent or box built in the room, you use the room air to exchange..For you, as a student, small grow (really 1 nice plant could do you 6- 8 ounces ) I recommend building a box or using a tent in the room you are using - the tent or box will ensure the grow space is light proof (light leaking under the door), the smell is contained, and you control the environment.

am still in the first step , did read couple articles who said i should give them 18 hours of light !! and am that stupid all plants died

Yes, they get 18 hours of light and 6 hours of complete darkness. this is the vegging stage. After the plants get bigger then you will switch to 12 on/ 12 off.

With small clones or plants from seed, you can use a CFL light, but as the plant gets bigger, you need the HID 600 watt light.

had to start all over again . so i want to start this time right.

Try to get clones, find a local grower to share advice and eyes-on. Clones are easiest to work with, reliable, etc Otherwise, order feminized seeds - so you don't worry about males at first. Bag seeds are bad, they can be male, or hermis

i have 12x12 , 4 pots
am using seedling soil
regular fan

12x12 of floor space, get a 5x5 (8-9 feet tall) tent and set it up with inline fans and HID lights - plan to grow 1-2 large plants to provide for your personal use. You need another closet space or on the floor outside the tent is fine - for clones or vegging small plants under CFL.

"also need inline fans, exhaust fans, and oscillating fans. You need temp and humidity gauge. "
inline fans exhaust fans , do i really need those for 4 plants and small apartment ?

how can i provide humidity ?

You need the equipment, they control the temp and humidity, adding humidity is not really important at this stage.

Here is an example of a tent setup with all the equipment
Weedmaps News

and see this one - the tent is really the controlled environment you need for using a room setup with no vents outside. https://420dotcom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/59SR1.png those fans vent into the room, and draw cool air from the room into the tent. The room you can cool with AC or heat, open a window etc. These tents are light proof, and can have filters for smell.

buy your lights at a grow shop to start with - the hardware store stuff is not meant for plants.

DN

yea - all the gear about $500 to $700, not including the tent. (1- 600 watt setup)

The idea is if you smoke 1 ounce a month, thats about $300. if you grow a few crops a year, you save $300 a month ; )
If you help a medical patient, you now get paid.

DN

ask grow shop to pick out bulbs. those looked like incadescent - you want CFL, the right wattage and color spectrum ..

good luck, its not a deadend until you stop.

DN

thank you guys alot , i learned alot .

i will start again as soon as get the right equipment ,

It is an expensive hobby but having said that when they are seedlings you don't need a powerful light system yet. When i sprouted mine I used 17 watt T5HO until they produced their third sets of leaves then i put it in my tent with the 600 watt HPS light. Seedlings are pretty sensitive to light at the early stage. I use the sunblaster mini greenhouse for the seedlings.

Back
Top Bottom