Flint Water Supply Contaminants?

DimWit

I'm curious about the impact that the recently discovered/admitted Flint tap water contamination could have on past, present and future cannabis production and the consumption of cannabis using Flint tap water. Has anyone done any testing at all in this area?

Imagine bubble hash, other concentrates, and edibles produced with lead-laced Flint water! Bet that's not good.

Is it time to begin testing cannabis for lead and other contaminant content? Or maybe certifying and labeling cannabis as " Certified: NOT Produced in Flint".

My guess is that IF testing were done in this area, we'd be horrified at what is found. Given the variance in water quality throughout Michigan and the entire USA, Canuckistan, and the rest of the world, maybe it's time to begin widespread testing of cannabis for dangerous contaminants, then go from there.

Would even something like reverse osmosis completely eliminate lead and other related contaminants from Flint tap water (and other water sources)? IMhO, some serious testing needs to be done.

... DimWit ("Paranoia runs deep")

RO water will eliminate lead and other heavy metals but won't take out fluoride. A special and expensive filter is needed to get rid of that tho it will have little impact on a plant.

Heads will roll for the decision to switch Flint's water source tho the real criminals in that fiasco will likely laugh all the way to the bank.

The amount of lead in concentrates will be negligible as most will be bound in the plant material so bud will be more toxic. More dangerous is just the amount that people have been consuming using that water for drinking or cooking foods like pasta that absorb the water. Some lead in your coffee ma'am? :)

The proteins and amino acids that make them in humans, other mammals and plants use a sulfur atom as a bond. Lead replaces the sulfur and breaks that bond. That causes deterioration of and is most prevalent in new molecules that the body makes to replace old ones. Kind of like chemotherapy that kills cells as they split and as cancer cells split more rapidly than normal cells the theory is that the cancer can be killed off before the body it's in.

Children are most hurt by lead as their growing bodies and brains are forming new cells much faster than adults so they are hit harder. Just a bit of lead can greatly impact a child's developing brain and lower the potential IQ hugely and they worry about pot.

:peace:

I think you are Kinda looking at a single tree in entire forest. Lead contamination affects everything that is alive that uses water as it's mechanism for life (plants, animals, humans). At the very least, it's safe to assume that the land, plants, animals and people living in and immediately around Flint Michigan have been exposed to various levels of lead and since it is a water supply contamination, that my grades into being a food supply contamination.

Now from what I understand, or rather what I remember from my third-grade science class, when water turns to steam or is subjected to extreme colds, all dissolved solids are either left behind steam) or are literally pushed out of the water molecule by the extreme cold freezing, it's also why glacial ice is always fresh water even if it's been floating in the ocean) so lead can be taken out of the water at FAR more expensive then $100 a day which is what it would have cost to treat the water in the first place...), the problem is The lead that is already in the various biological systems of plants animals and humans that's going to linger for a very long time.

As for your idea of having something in place to certify that any cannabis coming out of Michigan is not from Flint due to the lead contamination, that is unfortunately more than likely not going to happen for cannabis let alone any other consumable product as that would cost the state quite a bit of money which is something that Michigan is lacking, hence why this whole situation in Flint began in the first place.

I'm sorry to say it but if you live in Michigan, your safest bet is to simply grow your own and test your waters TDS (total dissolved solids) or just use bottled distilled water). The only thing that can be done right now is cleanup, have those responsible for not having had the water purified brought to justice and maybe increase the penalties for such a crime to such an extent that in the future I want to try to do it will not want to die to the risk, although that thinking is what is applied for capital punishment and that rarely stops murders...

I think you are Kinda looking at a single tree in entire forest. Lead contamination affects everything that is alive that uses water as it's mechanism for life (plants, animals, humans). At the very least, it's safe to assume that the land, plants, animals and people living in and immediately around Flint Michigan have been exposed to various levels of lead and since it is a water supply contamination, that my grades into being a food supply contamination.

BrokrnEyes ...

Just to be clear, I agree that lead is found in nature ... at levels tolerable to plants and animals in the area. The same is true in areas adjacent to the Flint River. Wild animals and plants aren't dying of lead poisoning in Flint ... unless they are pets or plants being fed via the Flint water piping system.

The lead is NOT in the Flint River, or the water supplies that feed the natural outdoor plants and animals. The lead is from the PIPING.

Contaminants in the Flint River water that are pumped through that piping break down lead within the piping system (like at welds, etc) ... and THAT is why you don't see plant and animal carcasses strewn beside the river (... at least not due to heavy lead concentrations).

...Dim

OMU ...

Thanks for the RO water info (that it removes lead, etc) {{sigh of relief}}.

... and indeed, heads should roll. Unfortunately (and as almost always), the wrong heads will be rollin'.

The other chemistry? It's way beyond my level of fully understanding, but informative nonetheless. Thanks.

...Dim

The amount of lead in concentrates will be negligible as most will be bound in the plant material so bud will be more toxic. More dangerous is just the amount that people have been consuming using that water for drinking or cooking foods like pasta that absorb the water. Some lead in your coffee ma'am? :)

LOL ... I reckon ya wouldn't wanna be taking a bunch of hits from a Flint River water filled bong, eh? :volcano-smiley:

...Dim

Oh yes I'm fully aware of the fact that it's actually the pipes that are leaching the lead into The water due to whatever is in said water causing the corrosion, but what I am referring to is any sort of watering of plants that was done from C a Garden hose or At and agricultural level a water in array (I forget the exact name for that sort of system). Any untreated water from the Flint River that is actually passed through lead pipes has obviously been contaminated and my only concern would be how much of that piping spreads out beyond the traditional city limits of Flint (case in point, Flint was actually getting their water pipe in from Detroit before switching over).

Ahhhh! I see what you're getting at.

My GUESS is that the untreated/improperly treated water isn't used outside of the residential, business and industrial areas of Flint. Agricultural in the surrounding areas likely gets water from the aquafer rather than paying to have river water pumped to them.

Blind? Hmm. I'm just plain dim, so I guess that makes us even. Sadly, I can't blame my typos and such on a hard-of-hearing voice dictation program.

Aussie babes?! I lived in OZ when I was a kid (11-15 y.o.). I LOVE the Sheilas in 'Stralia!

...Dim

LOL, you're the second one to comment about the typos! I do try to screen through it by zooming in and reading what I can, but it puts a pretty bad strain on my eyes. I really have to hope that you guys are able to make out what I am saying. The sad thing is that six months ago the program was great, but when the new update came out it went downhill.

The City of Flint is in a world of hurt now. The pipes will all need to be replaced, wow, what a cost there. The city is bankrupt, really, bankrupt. They have a person in charge trying to get the bankrupt city up on its feet, it is a nasty dirty town, with many, many murders and heavy crime, a crime wave that never left, everyday it is trouble. I feel bad for everyone in the city. So now what do we do. They are trying to lay it on the federal government to 1. Fund the entire repair 2. Pay residents for the lead they consumed. 3. A good part of the lead will be on the private property where the government has no place in making repairs. Lead has been used since the 20's to the 70's to put pipes together. Heck many of the original pipes are made of lead. So private funds will be needed, hello, homes in the city are selling for a couple of grand. It may be cheaper to move everyone out to ahh, the third ward of New Orleans. I do not have anything against the city as I have stayed there many nights in my sales job as well as most cities of Michigan. Most everyone advised me to stay else ware for my own safety.

Back
Top Bottom