Forbid

Jackalope

I have a product called Forbid on the way.

At the price of this stuff I am sure there is not going to be a lot of people that have tried it. I was wondering what if anything people had to say about it. I don't know a whole lot about the product other than it works really well for killing mites. At first I though it was some kind of man made poison. What I have since learned is it is made from some kind of mold that doesn't hurt people but gets rid of mites.

All I know is it works. When I say high priced I am not joking. It cost over $280 to get a 8 oz bottle shipped to the house. You only use 20 drops per gallon so that 8 oz bottle should last me the rest of my life.

Anyone have info to add about this product?

Forbid is a synthetic miticide. Whats mites are you up against??

Forbid is a 1 and done deal or the mites build a tolerance and it stops working on successive generations.

So long story short.. I use a sulfur burner. Its not a chemical and is not hazardous to environment and best of all its the best tool for mites be it hemp or spider mites and many other pests like PM and molds (bytritus).

Forbid is a 1 and done deal or the mites build a tolerance and it stops working on successive generations.

So long story short.. I use a sulfur burner. Its not a chemical and is not hazardous to environment and best of all its the best tool for mites be it hemp or spider mites and many other pests like PM and molds (bytritus).
Indoors? Sulfur is a chemical element, and it can form harmful chemicals when oxidized in the environment. Sulfuric and sulfurous acid and sulfate solids.

That Forbid is some nasty stuff. Read the label. Harmful if inhaled, swallowed or comes in contact with skin. Please don't use it on anything for human consumption. Just because it's made from a mold doesn't make it safe. Remember Carbon and Nitrogen are natural, but together they make CN (Cyanide).

Sulfur is an element yes. 10th most common element on Earth.

Yes you are correct is CAN form those chemicals.

Sulfur burner only MELTS sulfur at 140C this only produces sulfur IONS these ions do not create acids when mixed with water (air). In order for sulfur to create sulfuric acid one must heat it up to the boiling point at which time the sulfur can also ignite. The temps required to form acids are MUCH higher.

Sulfur IONS is the key.

BTW - sulfuric acid is all around us in the air. Its how we get rain that is acidic. Its a natural process of the earth and how rocks break down into soils.

This is not what we are doing with a sulfur burner in a green house or the like. Its all about IONS.

Sulfur ions get on the plant. Insects eat the plant and ingest sulfur ions. Sulfur kills insects also it kills molds as well.

Sulfur is an element yes. 10th most common element on Earth.

Yes you are correct is CAN form those chemicals.

Sulfur burner only MELTS sulfur at 140C this only produces sulfur IONS these ions do not create acids when mixed with water (air). In order for sulfur to create sulfuric acid one must heat it up to the boiling point at which time the sulfur can also ignite. The temps required to form acids are MUCH higher.

Sulfur IONS is the key.

BTW - sulfuric acid is all around us in the air. Its how we get rain that is acidic. Its a natural process of the earth and how rocks break down into soils.

This is not what we are doing with a sulfur burner in a green house or the like. Its all about IONS.

Sulfur ions get on the plant. Insects eat the plant and ingest sulfur ions. Sulfur kills insects also it kills molds as well.
So it's not combusted? Cool, so no SO2 odor? Indoors? One of my faves is Royal Cookies, and it attracts critters. Mites inside and hoppers outside. Sulfur kill hoppers? I need to do some research.

Hoppers not sure... I use sulfur indoors (so far). You get the smell from the burner.

What is happening with the sulfur ions that way I understand it and its definitely chemistry not my strong point by a fair margin too. Is that the melting point generate extra sulfur ions to break away the normal sulfur atoms due to the added heat. Sulfur has several atomic forms (this is my description) say S6 S8 S10 etc. those numbers after the S for sulfur indicate the number of electrons/ions spinning around the nucleus.

When heated to the melting point some of those ions spin off into the atmosphere and eventually settle on say a plant leaf. They readily stick to organic matter. If you were to gather all those ions up, you could make a little pile and that would be pure sulfur. It never changed form (fire or boiling) so it goes right back to the same thing it started out as. Or saying it another way, it never changed form so its still pure sulfur.

How it works on molds it kills on contact.

How it works on insects (quoted from Oregon State Ag):

" Sulfur can kill insects if they touch it or eat it. It disrupts their normal body function, altering their ability to produce energy."

If you get a burner its not something to do casually. You need to read instructions and follow them. Basic common sense and dont ever use any oil foliars on plants then do a burn. You need to wait a MONTH after any use of oils like neem and the like.

Thanks for all the input. Ended up I didn't have mites so I can't say which ones they were.

On the bright side, I never need to buy this again. As long as it is used before flower I am not going to worry to much about the weed. It is all for me anyway. My mentor has used it a couple of times over the years. He got it originally to kill a bad spider mite problem. It worked again a few years later. I may just use it as a last ditch effort we will see.

Thanks for all the input. Ended up I didn't have mites so I can't say which ones they were.

On the bright side, I never need to buy this again. As long as it is used before flower I am not going to worry to much about the weed. It is all for me anyway. My mentor has used it a couple of times over the years. He got it originally to kill a bad spider mite problem. It worked again a few years later. I may just use it as a last ditch effort we will see.

I have used the pyrethroid family. "Pyrethroids are synthetic chemicals that act like natural extracts from the chrysanthemum flower". It's OK for skin contact and is used on clothing and for lice on humans. It does not penetrate the leaves like Forbid and is pretty broad spectrum insecticide. Just bought some Permethrin for area spray in my battle with hoppers. It's used for dog dip, cattle spray and indoor use, unlike Forbid.

Try azamax if y

try azamax if you haven’t that works pretty good.

2 spotted Mites aren't that difficult to get rid of spinosad will work and its a beneficial soil microbe. Has to be foliar'd on every 3 days for 2-3 weeks depending on room temps. Warmer it is the shorter the treatment time.

Understanding the life cycle of pest in question is key.

Forbid is poison.
It is systemic to the plant, meaning it can't be flushed out.
You smoke it and it can cause lots of health issues.
It is illegal to use in California.
Where it is legal, it is supposed to only be used on non food plants.
There are better things to use for mites.

As suggested above; learn the life cycle of a mite and consider using something like Plant Therapy.
It works great, and is not poisonous to humans.

Forbid sounds like you should never use that stuff. Made from mold. If sounds fishy. Got to watch out for snake oil salesmen., especially ones that fix all your problems.
Just because it is made from mold does not mean that it is bad or evil or should be avoided. If that were the case then people would not have cheeses or yogurt. Other things that people really like to have in their fridge or panty or on the table in front of them are wines and beer. Molds and yeasts are our friends if we understand how to use them.

It is the products that these fungi can produce that become the problem.

On the other hand, two popular drugs are made with fungi. I am thinking of penicillin and LSD, though the LSD does not seem to be as popular now as it was 50-60 years ago.

@Auggie brings up a good point when mentioning "Where it is legal, ....only be used on non food plants." It might be best to check why it is not for human consumption. A lot of times that warning is put on the container because the company did not want to pay for the research and testing to see if the product was safe. Other times it is on the label because of the effects it can have if someone gets some into their system.

Which reminded me so I checked. Nuke Em, a popular product for mite control, has an active ingredient that is labeled as yeast. But it is safe on food items though I did not see anything about "Do not consume" but there probably is a warning about drinking the stuff. Nuke Em cannot be legally sold in three states in the US.

Back
Top Bottom