Friend gave me a clone already dying

This is a handy thing that seems to get overlooked too frequently. A seedling mat with temp sensor/controller is pretty cheap, all things considered, and I can't imagine sprouting/cloning without one.
My buddy gave me the clone , got her for free . I wasnt planning doing anything with clones yet . Im a first time grower , she was already rooted . But i did put in my order for a cloning kit with a 7 inch hood and the heating mat :) thank you for the advice .

A regular heating pad is probably too hot.any warm area @derek910 is right with the temp.

If they were just cut last week the root structure isn’t established enough and it’s still relying heavily on the leaves and transpiration. Definitely keep the dome on for now. The usual time I’ve had clones show the first sign of root is 10 days. A few times a couple days faster.

That being said the new growth is a great sign. The leaves that were on when the clone was taken will look like crap as the roots develop and the new leaves pop. The clone is feeding off the leaves as the roots develop. They will drop when the new growth establishes

Also, FFOF soil is a bit hot so that may, in part, be causing the leaf issues
Awesome , thank you for the help much appreciated.

But i did put in my order for a cloning kit with a 7 inch hood and the heating mat :) thank you for the advice .

You're welcome.

I use Hydrofarm heat mats, and their Jump Start controller. Funny thing is, I'd been using those before even thinking about growing (peppers, tomato, other seedlings starting indoors for the outdoor garden.)

The controller is really handy. It has a temp probe on it, that turns the mat on/off depending on the temp you set. Very, very handy.

Back
Top Bottom