General 420 Talk

Should it Stay or Go?

• Total voters
You're right endo we probably would end up with less repeat threads if newbies were forced to search for threads rather than make the same ones each time a new one joins. lol Good thinking bro.

I think the problem with the "only 420 talk" mentality is that as stoners, we talk about a great many things not directly related to marijauna. For example, the debate and philosophy forum....sure, a thread about marijuana will pop up every now and then....but we mostly argue about topics such as the Bush Adminsitration, the military actions in Iraq, NWO, and other things having nothing to do (directly) with marijuana. I doubt I'd visit this sight much if all talk was restricted to Marijauna, no exceptions. That would be incredibly boring after 3 visits. I appreciate what 420 is trying to do, but smokers love to debate/talk about issues and it would be pretty boring if we could only debate about marijauna. I think the stoner culture definately reflects an open mind to curent events and a desire to talk about them. I think most of the threads created in the debate and philosophy forum are also mature and relevant to world events. It would be a shame to reflect the drug war and punish the many, such as those capable of holding conversations that belong in an adult only forum, because of the actions of a few, such as those posting about their wangs. I hope the mods and 420 keep this in mind before enforcing a "420 ONLY" mandate. Conversatin should be stered to that topic, but come on....just because we are stoners doesnt mean current events LIKE the Iraq war don't affect us. I think it does the cause justice to allow an outlet for our unique culture to discuss current issues and events and to allow others to view us as we are...human beings with the same problems and concerns as everyone else. We are not homeless, friendless, jobless, flunkies like the government propoganda will have you believe. I think it adds a sense of belonging, and eradicates the FALSE stereotype that people who use marijauna only think, talk, and obsess about marijuana. Stoners are smart peopleand it does the cause justice to show that through our posts. That being said, if a particular forum attracts juvinile posts at a constant pace despite your best efforts, you should GET RID of that forum. I just hope i dont see mods popping up every time I create a post about Bush telling me I can only talk about marijuana. I think that would be a grave miservice to the representation of marijuana users and our culture. Just something to keep in mind; it's ultimately 420's site, his vision, his money, and his efforts so whatver he does, its the right thing to do even if we disagree.
-PM

I don't speak for 420 but the threads you are talking about are not the problem PM. It's the jackass newbies comming on here and talking about jizzing on their girl's face, or how great shrooms are and other limitless bullshit. Mature, thought out threads are respected and appreciated in my opinion, especially when they stay in the forums they belong in.

i agree about the nonsense that gets put up on the site. i dont know what to say/do about it b/c no matter what there are ignorant people who will ultimatley ruin it for the rest of the like-minded individuals. if it needs to go let it. but it would be a shame. b/c i love looking at what people have to say. plus its a great database for knowledge, when opinions dont get in the way. either way, good job on keeping it up. stay green. peace.

InYourEndo said:
thanks ndw... i really like this site and would like to stay here but we really need to get some of these members acts cleaned up... its totally a turn off to new pot-ential new members to see forums cluttered with garbage like... im gonna jizz on her face.. or i made this kid smoke catnip....

even i made mistakes in the begining but as soon as someone said something i fixed it and straightend it right out.. im not here to piss anyone off im here to share knowledge and learn information. too many people come here thinking its a place to dick around and act cool, they need to realize that no one here cares about being tough or cool and just want to chill and talk about 420 issues.... something has to be done.....

I totally agree with Endo. I would love to help out, but in these summer months i am really busy. I will tell you one thing, I've been to many other MJ forums before, Alot of them ill sign up and post a few post, but then to find out .... The site is totally dead, Or this one time i was postin pics of my plants and my setup just like in my grow thread, even from the mods i got these totally rude post telling me how my setup suck and im doing it all wrong and shit. This is the only MJ forum i come to nowdays, And i'd sorta like to keep it that way, Everyone is nice, You get many replys to your growing questions, Telling you what they think about it, maybe different way to try shit. But IMHO i think if you got rid of the General 420 Talk, You would see quite a downfall to this site. Maybe you could sticky this thread, Give it a month, and say .... Look, if this kiddy bullshit doesnt stop, this General 420 talk forum will be gone, no exceptions. And if she has to go, she has to go ....

I think there needs to be a forum like this one on a site like this, but I completely understand the reasons that may lead to its removal. That being said, if you take it away, people may start posting the same bullshit nonsense in less suitable places.

Actually, now that I think of it (i've had a small epiphany mid-paragraph), what's wrong with immature, pointless posts, as long as they're not flooding the threads, or offensive, or out of hand in any other way? I mean, you'll find the same types of posts in 95% of other forums out there.

Edit- spelling.

I don't speak for 420 but the threads you are talking about are not the problem PM.
Yeah, I know he's talking about the insanely stupid threads. I just wanted to give my perspective on the whole "marijauna only" defense people tend to bring up when someone discusses things they dont want to hear. THAT being said, I've never had ANY of my threads in the debate and philosophy forum shut down, and they are rarely about mairjauna (whats there to debate? Its like preaching to the coir), so my hat's off to 420 and the mods. I've been warned twice by mods in my time here, and it was always appropriate when they warned me (no one is perfect, i am perefctly capable of flying off the handle and/or breaking the rules from time to time), so I have no complaints about this site or how its moderated. I just dont want to see "tougher" enforcement on these forums that have never had a matrutiy level problem beacuse the admin and mods are upset at the lack of maturity in this forum. Again, just something to keep in mind :)
I think having a marijuana message board will always attract under aged kids who's main level of humor at their age is penis, vagina, and "the sex". Having an open forum like this with no clear purpose of discussion will give them a place to post their dribble and will undermine what 420 is trying to do. Becausethe other forums have very specific topics of discussion, its harder to bring up stupid and immiture topics and would be a heck of a lot easier to moderate, in my opinion. Its hard to defend shutting down a stupid thread in a general forum (even f it says general 420 talk), peopel want to belieuve they can talk about anything they want in a general forum. By eliminating that forum, people have more direction and it's easier to claim someones breaking the rules.
Anyway, good luck in your decision making process 420.
-PM

New Idea, how about the creation of a forum strictly for posting irrelivant nonesense? That way people who don't want to read shit like that won't have to, and people who go to the forum know what to expect.

Thepurplem0nkey said:
I think the problem with the "only 420 talk" mentality is that as stoners, we talk about a great many things not directly related to marijauna. For example, the debate and philosophy forum....sure, a thread about marijuana will pop up every now and then....but we mostly argue about topics such as the Bush Adminsitration, the military actions in Iraq, NWO, and other things having nothing to do (directly) with marijuana. I doubt I'd visit this sight much if all talk was restricted to Marijauna, no exceptions. That would be incredibly boring after 3 visits. I appreciate what 420 is trying to do, but smokers love to debate/talk about issues and it would be pretty boring if we could only debate about marijauna. I think the stoner culture definately reflects an open mind to curent events and a desire to talk about them. I think most of the threads created in the debate and philosophy forum are also mature and relevant to world events. It would be a shame to reflect the drug war and punish the many, such as those capable of holding conversations that belong in an adult only forum, because of the actions of a few, such as those posting about their wangs. I hope the mods and 420 keep this in mind before enforcing a "420 ONLY" mandate. Conversatin should be stered to that topic, but come on....just because we are stoners doesnt mean current events LIKE the Iraq war don't affect us. I think it does the cause justice to allow an outlet for our unique culture to discuss current issues and events and to allow others to view us as we are...human beings with the same problems and concerns as everyone else. We are not homeless, friendless, jobless, flunkies like the government propoganda will have you believe. I think it adds a sense of belonging, and eradicates the FALSE stereotype that people who use marijauna only think, talk, and obsess about marijuana. Stoners are smart peopleand it does the cause justice to show that through our posts. That being said, if a particular forum attracts juvinile posts at a constant pace despite your best efforts, you should GET RID of that forum. I just hope i dont see mods popping up every time I create a post about Bush telling me I can only talk about marijuana. I think that would be a grave miservice to the representation of marijuana users and our culture. Just something to keep in mind; it's ultimately 420's site, his vision, his money, and his efforts so whatver he does, its the right thing to do even if we disagree.
-PM
Well said, i tried saying something similar but it just wasn't working for me, glad you said it nicely though. Again i'll say i think the majority of the stuff is good General 420 Talk rather than nonsense, so i say it stays.

when people come here and read these childish trash posts, they consider this a playground and leave, never to come back.... leaving a bad taste in thier mouth about us... telling thier friends negative stories about us... i've heard it way too many times...

the people posting this trash never buy from our sponsors, never contribute anything positive, all they do is use up my bandwidth and scare away potential mods, potential news hawks, potential customers for my sponsors, potential active members in our family... how am i supposed to get sponsors to buy ad space to pay for this place if all i have are kids here without credit cards to buy anything?

they are robbing me of revenue, belittling my mission and destroying my reputation...

they are taking up all of my valuable time i could be spending on much more important things and causing me so much stress i no longer enjoy doing what i do... then i get short with my staff and they want to leave me...

i have much to say, i am enjoying hearing from you all..
please continue...

When you put it that way, I'm 100% on your side. I do believe however, that if you got rid of General 420 talk, the spam and trash would spread throughout other forums, thus the creation of a "chat, nonsense, etc" thread would divert ignorance from the forums that certainly could do without.

I know i'm relatively new here, but I've seen this before, and I believe it could be a good solution.

The only problem is the built in reputation system is pretty weak. I mean, the backend is solid but it is hard for normal members to know what their rep is and things like that.

The functionality is built into this forum that would require users to have a certain rep before they could post. Just have it so once a user gets, say, 10 rep votes, they get moved into a usergroup that has posting priveleges.

The other problem with that is that it turns away a lot of new people who aren't stupid who come for the sole reason of asking say, a grow question.

stopping people from posting threads until they reach a certain number of posts will confuse stoners and send them away...too frustrating...the registration process alone sends half of them away....

But 420, isn't that a good thing? It will filter out all the people that have no motivation to become a part of the 420 family. These punks that are starting all the problems aren't the type that will wait until they have 420 posts before they can make a thread. And those members that make it to 420 posts will have gained an idea of what threads SHOULD be like.

I'm still partial on the more lounge mods.. Or lockin up all the old threads so people can't bring them back (the cumming thread everyones referring to was an old thread brought back by someone) but you can still view them in their intireity.

Doesn't the "high, I'm new" change after 42 posts?^^^^

What I've noticed so far in this discussion is that most people agree that the problem exists, and I think all of us would agree that 90% of the problems generate themselves in this forum. So why keep the forum?

If you want to make a thread about weed+music, +politics, +art, +whatever, you can still do so, but you'll be more likely to do it in the right forum if we get rid of General 420.

I mean, go to the 420Times forum main page and compare threads per forum. General 420 is nearing 12,000 thread while the next closest is only at 2,000, and most of them are around just a couple hundred IF they even hit triple digits! There's no reason for that. Almost every thread in General 420 could have been made somewhere else, but the member who made it was too lazy to take two seconds to click on the right forum.

I say get rid of General 420 and let the members take the extra two seconds it takes to choose the right forum.

420 said:
no oldguy, they will just spam 25-50 posts of bullshit until they get to the desired amount of posts...then we have all that mess to clean up as well...
Yeah I figured that...

... But you know me... Always trying to look at both sides of the issue...

I'm starting to agree with Oldguy.. he makes a real good point.

the majority of the people want it to stay, but if it went. I'm sure the site would progress more or at least this forum..

Back
Top Bottom