General Question Thread - Pimpmysetup

MJ001

Hey All,

I started a grow around September last year just out on my balcony with some "Ruderalis" Sensei seeds my friend hooked up for me in Amsterdam. Autoflowering apparently. Unfortunately I only have metal halife lamp at this stage, I broke the HPS and I cant afford another for the time being. They're like over $150

I suspect the grow has about a 1-1.5 months left of flower.

Completely Organic, no nutes apart from organic fertilizer and banana peels.

The story:

I started with 2 plants.

They vegged happily in the sun until flowering, when, in December I decided to use the massive 400W floodlight I had come across from another friend. All housed within my cupboard.

Stupidly I decided to leave the light on for 24 hours straight from Friday-Monday one week, with the door open and the fan blowing.

I arrived to see a vaporized plant and one completely brown and hopeless.

I decided to abandon the grow for the time being as Christmas was near I was gong away and I had no time for this, so I left them outside on the balcony for about a month until mid January.

Upon my return I was surprised to see that the brown one had made a recovery and was producing delicious looking bud despite it's small stature.
Immediately I performed maintenance and put it back under the 400W Metal Halide where it has been going forward on a 12/12 lighting cycle.

Ok, my questions:

Will changing my Lamp to HPS make a massive difference and should I starve for the sake of saving money for a new bulb?

Will using Shisha "Hookah" Molasses work as a subsitute for "Blackstrap molasses"?

What alteration should I make to my extremely bone dry setup? Pictures to follow soon of said setup.

Re: General Question Thread+pimpmysetup

the MH will work, i wouldnt starve over the hps.

the hps is by far the better light to have in a flowering situation over MH, BUT, like i said, the MH will work, and you will get some great quality bud, perhaps even better quality than the HPS. Just, not as much.

i cant help you with the molasses, and i dont really have enough info about your setup to give suggestions.. so, ill wait for pics :)

by flood light, what do you mean? like.. halogen? if so.. break it, throw it off your balcony, burn it. anything, just dont put it on the plant. They are a waste of electricity IMO.

No it's not halogen it's a 400 MH bulb in this huge flood light ballast thing I have.

OK bambity bamp

Here are the pictures.

Give me your analysis mighty green thumbs.

The bone dry setup:

IMG-20120314-00124.jpg

Random sexy bud

IMG-20120314-00120.jpg

The fattest bud:

IMG-20120314-00126.jpg

Bud with no flash for realism

IMG-20120314-00127.jpg

If you actually have to starve to get an HPS... don't. But get one as soon as possible. As for the hookah tobacco, do you really want to put tobacco on your plant? What exactly is the problem? Unsulphered blackstrap molasses is like 6 or 7 dollars a liter. Certainly you wouldn't have to starve to afford that. Whole Foods Molasses is good but if you don't have a Whole Foods near you just about every supermarket carries Grandmas Molasses.

i just started my first organic venture... going to use some bennies in my dwc instead of h202. anyways... picked up some blackstrap, half a liter of it for $3.59 at my local grocery store.

i'd just grab that stuff.

What signs should I look for when to harvest? it look like some buds on this plant are further away from completion that others. I wonder if can harvest most of the plant...

I hear i must look for 50% cloudy and amber?

What signs should I look for when to harvest? it look like some buds on this plant are further away from completion that others. I wonder if can harvest most of the plant...I hear i must look for 50% cloudy and amber?

Some of the things I look for when I harvest is that the pistils or hairs are curling back in towards the calynxes(i spelled that wrong). As for color of the trichs, I guess that depends on what kind of high you would like to have. More amber means more of a couchlock or stuck feeling. If you go with more cloudy then your high would be more heady or energetic.

I am not an expert on lighting but I recently blew my hps bulb too. It won't hurt them. I am not sure about the set up you have going, I'll leave that to the professionals to answer.

like queen said, you dont have to wait till 50% amber, personally, i start my flush when i see about 75-90% cloudy, and just harvest 1.5 weeks from that... that normally gives me 10-30% amber. which is A-OK with me.

Back
Top Bottom