Germination Setup Question

All, I hope you don't mind me chiming in on this. I'm a newbie like Dean and Searcher and have a few questions. Unlike most of you I am trying the Aerogrow system. It's going well but would like to know what nutrient mix is best once the sprouts pop. My seed popped about 1-2 days and sprout was noticed by day 4-5. Forgot to turn lights out so they were turned out (unplugged hood) on day 2. I added the provided nutes from Aerogrow 2 each. Now I'm at day 8 and sprout is poking out of the pod. Am thinking of using Miracle Grow (25-8-16) for my vegetative state understanding that the P and N are important at this time. Is this a good call? I know most of the pro's don't like the Aerogrow but you have to admit for a home grown unit and for personal use this is a nice thing. Your help and input is appreciated (sp).

All, I hope you don't mind me chiming in on this. I'm a newbie like Dean and Searcher and have a few questions. Unlike most of you I am trying the Aerogrow system. It's going well but would like to know what nutrient mix is best once the sprouts pop. My seed popped about 1-2 days and sprout was noticed by day 4-5. Forgot to turn lights out so they were turned out (unplugged hood) on day 2. I added the provided nutes from Aerogrow 2 each. Now I'm at day 8 and sprout is poking out of the pod. Am thinking of using Miracle Grow (25-8-16) for my vegetative state understanding that the P and N are important at this time. Is this a good call? I know most of the pro's don't like the Aerogrow but you have to admit for a home grown unit and for personal use this is a nice thing. Your help and input is appreciated (sp).

INstead of Miracle Grow, try some Peter's or Shultz....slightly better product. Keep the nutrients to 1/2 recommended dose until you see what the plants are going to do....you don't want to burn them.

Good luck!

Thanks Doc, Was just checkin on a local Hydro Store that carries FloraGro. I will look for the Peters since that was a second option. Quick question on when to use...now that the sprout has pop'd? And does anyone know what the levels the Aerogrow tablets are? Thanks again....

Ok, so before we put the Miracle Grow issue to bed, last question. We understand the importance of the N, P and K. 2 sites i've visited keep suggesting MC Patio and Peters, with a 20-20-20 mix. Not the MG All Purpose which is 24-8-16. Can the MC Patio be used? Although I've found a local shop that does carry the FloraGo which I will probably settle on, I just want to clear the air on the Miracle Grow and maybe dispell some of the bad press the MG Patio is getting. The 2 sites don't say either way hydro or soil so maybe that is the big question here. No MG of any kind for hydro? But the Peters mix is the same as the MG Patio mix then why not? Btw: nice set of leafs coming out of pod..looks healthy. Also the FloraGro is no more then 10-15 a quart, very reasonable for a small grow.

Ok, so before we put the Miracle Grow issue to bed, last question. We understand the importance of the N, P and K. 2 sites i've visited keep suggesting MC Patio and Peters, with a 20-20-20 mix. Not the MG All Purpose which is 24-8-16. Can the MC Patio be used? Although I've found a local shop that does carry the FloraGo which I will probably settle on, I just want to clear the air on the Miracle Grow and maybe dispell some of the bad press the MG Patio is getting. The 2 sites don't say either way hydro or soil so maybe that is the big question here. No MG of any kind for hydro? But the Peters mix is the same as the MG Patio mix then why not? Btw: nice set of leafs coming out of pod..looks healthy. Also the FloraGro is no more then 10-15 a quart, very reasonable for a small grow.

I don't know how either of those products would work in hydro....sorry bro.

I do know that Fox Farms Grow Big works in hydro. that's gonna set you back less than 20 bucks.

dyna-gro also has an excellent product for hydro, but it will be harder to find.

Why not use the nutes that came with the aerogarden?

Man I had a link in my sig for some nute Calculators. I still have them up on photo bucket. they might be of some help. Send me a PM and i can guide you to the link. Fox Farm Ocean forest seems to be the most popular on this site for soil grows. Not sure of the ratios. If you want to go Hydro use the clay pellets and FF nutes or AN. GH also has good nutes for hydrop, you can use what ever nutes u wish but some of them have nute calcs which help you figure things out and adjust them so you can get them dialed in. Personally I like the rainforest setup hydrofarm sells it 6 plants site aeroponic setup. Stinkfinger has a grow with that lil machine looks like it works wonders :)

Why not use the nutes that came with the aerogarden?[/QUOTE]

Doc, That is the question of the century here. I began this quest after I read the HT article "AeroGarden Experiment". In the article it stated that all the grower used was the nutes from AG. However in my desires to educate I was told not to use them. I don't mind listening to the SME's here but still would like to know why not and would really like to know what the nute levels are before dismissing them. The article was Sep 08, page 96. If it worked for him why wouldn't it work for all of us that use this "lil unit" (thanks Myzz). If Stinkfinger had and is having success with the lil unit I would love for him to chime in.

Myzz, I like the "dial in" comment. That's what were working on here. I'm at a good place (very early in the grow) and working on 1 seed right now till I do. My journal is a play by play with an "Aerogarden Instruction" sheet that I will share after we get the final results. The AI changes almost daily but is moving forward. If all works out I would think any of the dwarf varities will work great. Even the mid plants will work with "training" and proper prunning.

Bout to call AG and just ask them "what are the nute levels" Besides need to order some more supplies.

Why not use the nutes that came with the aerogarden?

Doc, That is the question of the century here. I began this quest after I read the HT article "AeroGarden Experiment". In the article it stated that all the grower used was the nutes from AG. However in my desires to educate I was told not to use them. I don't mind listening to the SME's here but still would like to know why not and would really like to know what the nute levels are before dismissing them. The article was Sep 08, page 96. If it worked for him why wouldn't it work for all of us that use this "lil unit" (thanks Myzz). If Stinkfinger had and is having success with the lil unit I would love for him to chime in.

Myzz, I like the "dial in" comment. That's what were working on here. I'm at a good place (very early in the grow) and working on 1 seed right now till I do. My journal is a play by play with an "Aerogarden Instruction" sheet that I will share after we get the final results. The AI changes almost daily but is moving forward. If all works out I would think any of the dwarf varities will work great. Even the mid plants will work with "training" and proper prunning.

Bout to call AG and just ask them "what are the nute levels" Besides need to order some more supplies.[/QUOTE]

I'd just use the AG nutes. They can't be too far off from optimal. They'll work fine.

Doc, That's the best advise I've recieved from 420 yet. Besides this IS trial and error and it will be docuemented so I'll keep everyone posted. I'll let you know what AG says today. Still hoping to get some more AG users input here. Hope it's ok to continue my AG questions here since AG is as close to a hydro type unit.

Nute's, amout of light, water and temps.

My light cycle is set to 8/16.

Would it be a good idea to change out my water every other feeding cycle? Adding nutes every 2 weeks.

And here is the temps question.

My temps/humidity seem to range between 81/45 low with a high of 88/53 and an average of 84/50.

I have read that temp should be between 72-85 and humidity between 45-65 an average of 78 seems impossible to maintain.

Maybe vent my cabinet will help bring my temps down.

Agree or disagree?

Nute's, amout of light, water and temps.

My light cycle is set to 8/16.

Would it be a good idea to change out my water every other feeding cycle? Adding nutes every 2 weeks.

And here is the temps question.

My temps/humidity seem to range between 81/45 low with a high of 88/53 and an average of 84/50.

I have read that temp should be between 72-85 and humidity between 45-65 an average of 78 seems impossible to maintain.

Maybe vent my cabinet will help bring my temps down.

Agree or disagree?

I think they'll grow just fine under those conditions!

The only thing that would cause me some concern is vegging them too much. If it were me, I'd start flowering right from seed, otherwise I think you'll out grow the AG and the lower half of the plants will be useless, etc.

I think they'll grow just fine under those conditions!

The only thing that would cause me some concern is vegging them too much. If it were me, I'd start flowering right from seed, otherwise I think you'll out grow the AG and the lower half of the plants will be useless, etc.

just want to add a cent to this. You can trim the lower part of the plant to promote more focus on the top of the plant. Just want to add that on in case you dont have enough light/space for them buds @ the bottom:roorrip:

WB Myzz,

Doc/Myzz, Yea I plan on doing the "training" technique once they reach an acceptable hieght. Limited strength of light and only playing with one plant till I get this thing dialed in, so I will need all the leaf I can get.

My gardener will apprieciate this since I still have to come to him for smoke....lol.

Btw: The hieght of the AG at the lowest setting is 6" and 13" at it's highest. And my cabinet actually limits the hood from going any further but this should work out later on when I begin multipule plants. I could also prune early thus creating a bush and or train early.

My next worry is actually purchasing my good seeds...any suggestions?

Ok boys and gurls...you gonna love this. Talked to AG this morning and the first guy says the nute levels are 5-10-5 and on the acidic (sp) side.

The second guy says 9-17-21, 7.3-21-21.

And the third guy (gurl) says 4-3-6.

Bad?

So they just don't know...just funny to get such a big difference from different people in the same day.

No matter I don't think I will be using them since they can't give me the correct answers. Which brings me to my latest issue.

My lonely sprout seems to be dieing on me. Not sure if it was the nutes or not because that's the only thing I did different. And I only used the AG nutes. But they were old nutes...dam where to begin...lol. Could also be me touching it?

So it's back to the drawing board...lol. Pullin on some smoke right now trying to figure out how I'll tackle this one. Got 3 more to play with before my next purchase.

But not giving up, think I'll start with germinating the old fashion way....soak, water no nutes and no light till they pop and then nutes closer to the 20-20-20 mix and now I know to find some SuperThrive to add to that mix. I saw earlier in this thread 1 tsp to 10 drops.

Still just a game for me right now.

What's Up 420 friends, I'm still at this education thing so here is another question.

Where the heck can I get some proper nutes? I thought I could just check out our local garden shops but they don't carry the levels I need. Any suggestions?

I will be using the suggested levels I found here at 420. Something in the area of 20-20-20 for growth with a pinch of Oxygen Plus and Epson salt. Then move (hopefully) to the 5-50-17 mix for flowering. I just can't find any good sites that carry this mix and looks like the Peters is no longer available. So where can I get the nutes that I need?

Oh, and are the adverts here safe to order from?

Umm yeah lol since my thread had been completely hijacked I just switched to perfect starts and bought a thermometer/hygrometer for $6 at Wal-mart. Turns out things were overheating like mad without ventilation in my box. I built a new cabinet and just installed a nice 4" PC fan, temps seem under control and one of my three had a couple inches of root coming out of the bottom when I put them into netpots.

The netpots are now in the germ tray with about a cm of weak nutes and dH2O (alternating watering them with the two) while the silicone on my DWC tub finishes curin around the air lines. They should be going in the bubbler midnight tonight (or early tomorrow am), as it will be 48 hours since I set buckets of tap water out and put the last coat of silicone on.

I left the house with two fans set up and cfls an inch or two from my plants. I've also hung some Mylar (well camping blankets) in my cabinet.

Back
Top Bottom