Grow Box - Advice Welcome

neonweed

Im a virgin grower I was thinking about growing 6 plants in 2' wide , 3' tall , 4' long box with a chest top. Im going to put a 1 foot fan at the bottom left side .and a 8" hole on the right side at the top so it could get fresh air in my box. Im about to buy a 400w watt metal halide light with the ballast. I was going to mount the light on the bottem of the chest top (the part that will open and close) and I was going to put aluminum foil around the inside of the box.

Is that a good light?

It that enough space for 6 plants?

Should I add something? I will have a thermometer at the bottem next to the plants

I have made the frame out of wood and the outside of the box will have wall paneling on the outside to make it look fancy

How long should I keep the fan on in the box?

My seeds are in the germination process now I'm about to finish making my box when I see what you guys think!

Re: I have a few questions for my grow box

Hi neonweed.

Welcome to 420 Magazine! :welcome:

I think a 400 watt light would be a little too much for the space you describe. You're going to want to keep at least a foot between your light and the top of the plants. Counting even just a 6 inch - 1 gallon container, and a few inches at the top for the light fixture, that would only leave your plant about 15 inches or so. Is that about the size plants your looking to grow?

I would also advise against using aluminum foil to line the box. Believe it not, it actually isn't as good a reflective surface as a flat white paint and can create hot spots on your plants.

Is there a reason you chose the dimensions provided above?

Welcome neonweed! That's good advice from TanR. It'd probably be good to go with T5 flourescents, CFL's and/or LED's to light your grow given the space provided. These light sources do not produce much heat and are relatively low profile.
6 plants would be a tight fit
you will probably need to perform topping and training to properly fill out your area as average plant heights are around 3 feet
I would suggest adding a fan to exhaust and add a filtered passive intake hole
you should always have good air flow so the plants can breathe and to reduce the chance of Powdery Mildew and other pests

Well I'm trying to put it in my room at the end of my bed, I will have a fan mounted on the side of my box. Im gonna jigsaw a hole on the side of it

Should I get a 250 watt metal halide light?

i want to practice until I find a place to completely farm 100 white widow seeds in the woods.

Im keep having this problem everyday I wake up the seeds sprout more but they're on top the soil, am I not putting them deep enough?

Hi again neonweed.

As Calyx Hunter suggested, if your committed to keeping the height of the box at 3 ft. or so, your better off looking at a fluorescent light of some kind. I can't stress enough that any HID light is going to put out a lot of heat. I think you'd be surprised at how hot these things really get.

Hey there, i would suggest you go with some kind of LED solution, as it wont become just as hot as the metalhalide or hps.. Also this means you can keep the light closer to your plants as far as i know.
I just bought the Mars II 400w from TopLED and so far it seems pretty powerfull.. But not much experience here, besides from that.
good luck :Namaste:

But I feel so ghetto growing my 6 plants with 30 cfl plants. And the wiring would take forever I wish I could use a 250 mh with a ballast so I feel more "pro" and "more by the book" but everyone thinks I should get a ghetto set up :( could come one get me a link of a bulb or something I could use?? This is the box I build :eek:

o548j5.jpg

148hms9.jpg

Those are 2 pictures at the bottem of the post above ↑ but the first picture is turned to the left. And I will be making the top tommorow (when I get money) ill be making a chest top. and in the inside I will be putting the the white and black tarp thing from hopefully homedepot

neonweed,

I don't think anyone is trying to discourage you from growing any way, and in any container, you want. You asked for feedback and I believe everyone that has responded is attempting to help you avoid a heat issue from using a High Intensity Discharge light.

You mention in your first post about having an 8 inch hole for air intake. A hole that size with light from HID beaming out into the room isn't going to be exactly "stealthy" so I question why have a box at all? Especially one that is limiting to the height of your plants. I'm not suggesting it can't be done, but there is a reason that grow tents are typically 6 ft. tall or taller.

Hmm.. i still think you gotta check out some other lights that doesnt produce so much heat, if you are going to go with the small box setup... Check out my journal in my signature and check out the LED im using.. It doesnt become hot at all really..Maybe something you could use for the small sized box.. They also have other models with reflectors etc, and UFO's. Home page i believe i can post this link cause they are sponsors.. Hope it helps. :thumb:

So what If I got a fan on both sides? And I'm planning on going threw the 42 day vegetative stage abd bout the time I can put them outside. Its soo cold right now so veggie staging them outside. And I want to grow inside for now

Grow Crew Black HO T5 4?,4 Bulb Fixture w/ Bulbs

Check this 4 foot t5 fixture out. I've grown to harvest successfully with one of these. Use blue spectrum t5s for veg and switch to the reds for flowering. This will not build up as much heat but may still be a concern depending on your weather and environment. You'll still need good airflow in your box.

I've told my grandmother it was a chest for some junk in my room, it already looks super big for my room size Lol

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom