Grow Box Construction

Hey Stratlogic props on the box you said you were going to be doing another build how did that go for you any pix or another thread? I was wondering if you could tell me how to use google sktch up, or if you could send me the file for your sketch up. Do you know anything about fertilizing with hydro/areo/soil if you have and info that would be cool. Thanks

Nice box"wave" ,what's it gonna be disguised as:wood:maybe an amp! them hinges are also manufactured for diy, so's they don't have that plastic block thats use in the pre-fab kitchen cabinets,also you can buy specal crews for chip-board, if you're able try using t5 fluorescents, you'll get more light, any more pic's peeps

I installed the squirrel fans today and it worked out pretty good for the most part. First I cut the holes for the squirrel exhausts to fit into snuggly. The first hole is cut, and this one will be used as a reference for the next.
DSC00362.JPG

The second hole was a little tricky. I had to hold the filter and fan together to find the right position, remove the filter and trace the exhaust, but it worked out in the end.
DSC00363.JPG

I decided to run the wires out the same holes to keep thing neat inside.
DSC00364.JPG

To reduce the stress on the squirrel fans, I made this sling with zip ties to support the opposite end.
DSC00370.JPG

A close up of the sling in action.
DSC00366.JPG

I just need to seal the PVC and the squirrel fans to make them air tight and its done as far as mounting them goes. I ended up mounting the squirrel fans too close together but it was an easy fix. I just sanded the PVC until it fit the way I wanted it too. It looks like it could use just a little more sanding after looking at the picture. I am also going to screw a piece of wood underneath the lower squirrel fan for a little extra needed support.
DSC00367.JPG

I just need to wire the squirrel fans and order the glass to seperate the two chambers and its DONE! I plan on drilling a few 1" holes in the base since the box is on casters, its elevated, so the incoming air will come up from under the plant. I figure the lower I can intake the fresh air, the cooler it will be. Not sure how much it will help, but it couldn't hurt right?
So close to being done, I am stoked!
DSC00368.JPG

Ok..cause I'm new...and dense..AND this completely turns around my perception of carbon filters and ventilation I have the following dumbass question:
You've mounted the carbon filter on the inside of the box so that the squirrel fans suck the air through the filter first then out of the box, correct?

My thought was mounting them on the outside of the box to maximize grow space in a 3wx2dx3t foot box but this seems like a better idea. Space might be an issue for me...:nicethread:

Ok..cause I'm new...and dense..AND this completely turns around my perception of carbon filters and ventilation I have the following dumbass question:
You've mounted the carbon filter on the inside of the box so that the squirrel fans suck the air through the filter first then out of the box, correct?

My thought was mounting them on the outside of the box to maximize grow space in a 3wx2dx3t foot box but this seems like a better idea. Space might be an issue for me...:nicethread:
Hi

Just saw your online, is that reflective mylar above what looks like a HID bulb! just a thought but i think you'll melt your mylar lining.

I started the air filter, check it out. I got the idea from this dude named Children of Bodom from another site just like this. (Had to give props). It's very similar to his and what a great idea for a cheap air filter using activated carbon, so I thought I would try it.

First I picked up some heavy-duty chicken wire at the Depot. $5 for 2'x5'.
DSC003251.JPG

Next I used a little math to figure out how big to cut the chicken wire. I needed a cylinder that measured 2.5" and another one 3.5" to accommodate my setup. The formula is (PIE x diameter)=length of chicken wire. It worked too.
DSC00326.JPG

Then I zip tied that biatch...
DSC00327.JPG

Tested and made sure it fit which it does.
DSC003281.JPG

Then I made the outer cylinder and tightened up the zip ties.
DSC003291.JPG

Checked them out and it looks good. Useful Tip: use a closet rod or something similar to round out the chicken wire after you zip tie it.
DSC00330.JPG

DSC00332.JPG

Wrapped them in some panty-hose to hold the activated carbon in place.
DSC00334.JPG

I am going to use two of these fans. The intake is on the side and the exhaust is the rectangular part. I am going to attach the two opposite ends of the PVC to the intakes of the squirrel fans, sucking the air through the filter and exhausting out the box. Then I am going to use dryer hose and run the two exhausts to the attic via the closet ceiling. No one will notice the holes I will have to make due to how my closet is designed.
DSC003401.JPG

I am debating if I should make two filters and use one on each fan using PVC elbow joints. Either way, I already have the supplies to easily make another.

Thats about where I'm at right now. I expect to be growing within the week. I just need to get the grow chamber fans running. I wont need the glass or filter right away. I am going to use CFL's for the first week or two to hopefully induce a female before I switch over to the 400w MH. Can't Wait!

Are these squirrel fans the type used in computers??

This is almost exactly what I had in mind. Except mine will be a closed off closet build. I have a corner of my closet that's hard to explain, but it's like a 48" high 22" wide and 28" deep cubby hole in my closet. Perfect for a stealth build because I can build a faux door that looks just like the rest of the walls in there for it and you could never tell it's even there. I'm going to try to get 2 plants in there.

Thank you so much for this guide, I'm just taking a break from putting it all together right now, I made mine 4x4x7, ill be using CFL's to grow with, I used the top part in mine for vegging lil guys and I am stoked to get the lights all hooked up and running!! Thanks again!!
Stub.

hey everyone, I'm a newby to the grow scene and im getting ready to build a box. I'm on a tight budget and looking for some ideas on how i should go about the construction of my box. Don't want anything to big, just a couple plants in the closet. Any advice is much appreciated.

i like i am planing on building one my self and use 2 68w{300 equivelent} cfl lights i wanna know is that good enough for 3 plants..

i like i am planing on building one my self and use 2 68w{300 equivelent} cfl lights i wanna know is that good enough for 3 plants..

No where close to enough. A good place to start is 300 w per plant.(actual wattage not equivalent wattage) so about 5 68w CFL's per plant give or take depending on the heat you can handle. 2 68w bulbs might be enough to veg the plants for a couple weeks with a reflector. Hope that helps Edwin.

Nice Grow Box ! Had a recent bad experience building with wood so I went back to pvc, just runn'n thru to drop some love on you homie !

Awesome box! I'm using a cabinet of similar height and for my next grow I'm considering investing in a 400w dimmable if I can keep it cool enough. Looks great!

Back
Top Bottom