Grow container size

referman

I just harvested two of my cheese plants and noticed when I dumped the soil the roots were very thick and spread out throughout the container. Im using FF Ocean Forest, FF nuets, 1000w HS. These two plants did not get very big at all, I may get an oz from both. I'm using 5 gal grow bags and am thinking the bags may be too large allowing the plants to develope roots and not putting the energy into veg growth. I am using the same size containers for all of my girls and the rest are fine. PH is fine. I noticed a small amount of gray mould on the bottom of the bag when I dumped the soil. I could be watering too often as I give them a pint every other day. I'm thinking of changing the watering to about a quart every three days or so. Is it best to allow them to get a little root bound for the best growth indoors? Thanks in advance.

How long did you VEG the Cheese plants?

referman..
Some people think that if you go into a big container that your plant will suffer because the energy will be focused on root growth and not the plant... I have planted seeds into five gallon pots and finished in the same pot and had no trouble growing big plants.. I transplant my way up now, but that is so I don't waste a lot of soil and nutes and saves me space in the veg room... It may have been other factors that caused the low yield.
How many other plants are under the light? They may have been fighting for light, specially if they were the runts. You need to work on your water schedule. I have not had a grow yet that I could water every other day, it changes the whole way through the grow... On your next round try growing in a two or three gallon for veg then transplant to the five gallon bags for flowering..
How long did you veg your plants for?
:peace:

Thanks for the advise. I vegged them under MH for 6 weeks. They all looked pretty much the same during the vegg stage. These are all second generation clones. I had a couple of runts in the first round when I planted them from seeds. I had two plants that finished early in that grow too. One of them was tall and lanky with small buds the other was just small and finished early too. The other six are looking good and should produce some nice bud. I think you are right I may have to change my watering schedule. I will try changing my container size the next grow and see how that works out. Thanks again.

Some people think that if you go into a big container that your plant will suffer because the energy will be focused on root growth and not the plant...

Yeah but the GROUND is the biggest container of all and I once saw a monster that was over 20' tall that the cops had to cut down with a chainsaw lol (turned out that I wasn't the only one that saw it). If that supposition were true it would have instead been a few inches tall with roots covering a volume the size of your average mall I'd think

Seems to me a plant will attempt to grow roots as large as they need to in order to support the part that's above the surface (for nutrient & water acquisition, structural support, etc.).

I could be wrong though. Wouldn't be the first time.

Back
Top Bottom