Container size

Canachris

does the size of the Container determine the size of the plant? I have four plants growing now. 2 are in 15 gallon containers 1 is in a 1 gallon container the last in a 1quart container.the bigger containers have big plants,they doubled in size during stretch. the other in the 1 gal is smallish and had very little stretch . the one quart is small and hardly any stretch. the to small plants were just an afterthought, had leftover seedlings. I assumed they would eventually get rootbound and Peter out.

20210616_092735.jpg

20210615_094305.jpg

20210615_073945.jpg

My answer would be it doesn't necessarily determine the size of the plant but a larger pot that can contain a larger root mass will support a larger healthier plant. Other factors will effect the overall plant size too. But in general, more roots, more shoots. I've grown some decent sized plants in 1 and 4 litre containers though.

My answer would be it doesn't necessarily determine the size of the plant but a larger pot that can contain a larger root mass will support a larger healthier plant. Other factors will effect the overall plant size too. But in general, more roots, more shoots. I've grown some decent sized plants in 1 and 4 litre containers though.
This plus something else that I figure is happening, especially in soil. The larger the plant then the higher the demand it makes on the root system and in turn on the ability of the soil and soil micro-organisms to produce what the plant needs. The more the roots can reach into the soil the greater the chance that they will pick up the nutrients the plant needs.

In theory a plant in a one gallon pot can get to be as large as one in a 2 gallon or larger but it will take longer. This is while they are still in their vegetating stage. Once the plants starts to flower it pretty much stops all size growth and concentrates on the flowering. My experience is that even in flowering, the bigger the pot the more buds a plant will produce. Two plants the same size and the one in a 2 gallon pot will produce more at harvest than the one in a one gallon container.

Even with bottle feeding it is still hard to get the same amount of buds from plants in the smaller containers.

Tough technical question.

Pot design may answers some questions

The air pot with air pruned root system to encourage a more fibrous root system aka more roots to do all of the good stuff & hopefully more yield.

Fabric pots work in the same sort of principle as well.

Personally I don't go all out on pot size & mass of roots for end yields when quality of light source Umol, PAR etc is just as important.

Back
Top Bottom