Grow Medium Review

For years I had my own compost piles but when I moved here 10 years ago I decided to use all raw composting materials as a mulch in the garden areas. The organic material will decompose surprisingly fast just laying on the soil. As long as the micro-organisms can get to the material and there is enough water from nature or the hose works out. For the times when I did need some compost to mix for potting soils I would have some in large containers stored in an out of the way area.

My current soil mix adventure is underway. I picked up a yard of commercial compost and will be using it to mix up potting soil or adding directly to areas in the front or back yard.

Ah the good stuff or part of it :thumb:

Have you ever PH tested your own blend or even local soil ?

Ah the good stuff or part of it :thumb:

Have you ever PH tested your own blend or even local soil ?
Nope. I stopped worrying about the soil pH decades ago. Years ago I would get the garden soil tested every few years. Then I would use the test kits from the store to see if it matched.

At the same time, I feel that it is a good idea if newer gardeners get at least one soil test if for no other reason than to see what they look like and the info provided.

At least one laboratory soil pH test would be needed if I was trying to grow something that required an acidic or alkaline soil.

At the same time, I feel that it is a good idea if newer gardeners get at least one soil test if for no other reason than to see what they look like and the info provided.

I would tend to agree on testing the PH of the soil if new to growing or recently moved to a new area so that amendments can be considered along with other alternatives to improve the soil biodiversity, microorganisms, mycorrhizal, organic matter content etc

How ever in my neck of the woods is chalk based bed rock our out door soil is serious alkaline PH & takes a lot of work to improve !

I trust my out door gardening knowledge for indoor growing & myself don't bother with checking PH of any of it these days... lolz

Back
Top Bottom