Growing Without Bloom Nutes By Farside05

As you can see, my meters are cheap-o's from the Zon. Not the epitome of accuracy I'm sure. Frankly they are dust collectors anymore since I no longer measure anything. I just broke them out as some point of reference to see if the formula was in the ballpark.

I believe for our application, the cheapos are more than enough. I've used cheapos in all of my years, and now that I know how to make nutrients, I know the degree of accuracy our plants will tolerate is beyond vast, so the accuracy of our meters, especially the EC/TDS is of little importance.

The quality control tests... To see how close my product is compared to Pro-tekt. I gathered a few numbers.

I poured a sample of Pro-Tekt into a cup and measured the starting pH, since Silica supplements are known to be alkaline in nature. It measured 11.5

I checked that result against my Faux-Tekt®. Same number, so we are good there.

Next I added 5ml of Pro-Tekt to a gallon of water to see the resulting ppm. I got 241.

I did the same with 5ml of Faux-Tekt® and came out with 254. Pretty close. The difference is most likely that I eyeballed the gallon rather that precisely measured it. My guess is the Pro-Tekt gallon had a tad bit more water in it. Either way, 13 points over 5ml, that's only a difference of 2.6ppm per ml.

Next I tested the Pro-Tekt gallon's pH. 8.5

Then the Faux-Tekt® gallon. Also 8.5

I added all the other components of my nute regiment. The Pro-Tekt gallon came out to 6.5, which is what I am shooting for. No other pH adjustments necessary.

The Faux-Tekt® gallon. Spot on also at 6.5.

Every one of my test showed the product to be equivalent. It looks like a winner.
Looking at Build a soil's website for making the Canadian version of Praux Tekt® and am shocked how a 20 dollar 1 pound bag has a shipping to Canada charge of 40 dollars!!! Thats 50 dollars Canadian! tsk tsk.....

Its safe to say that I wont be using Silica in my next grow.

Looking at Build a soil's website for making the Canadian version of Praux Tekt® and am shocked how a 20 dollar 1 pound bag has a shipping to Canada charge of 40 dollars!!! Thats 50 dollars Canadian! tsk tsk.....

I'm genuinely surprised that after all of these years of stupid expensive shipping costs for nutrients and amendments (post legalization) that no Canadian saw the potential business opportunity and arranged a situation to import and resell these things.

I'm genuinely surprised that after all of these years of stupid expensive shipping costs for nutrients and amendments (post legalization) that no Canadian saw the potential business opportunity and arranged a situation to import and resell these things.

Baron, Skybound is giving you a business idea. Buy the 50lb bag, divide into 50 one pound bags and become the Canadian small sized bag distributor.

Baron, Skybound is giving you a business idea. Buy the 50lb bag, divide into 50 one pound bags and become the Canadian small sized bag distributor.
As long as @MrSauga becomes the silent financial partner...aka the Sugar Daddy.

How are the shipping rates from one side of Canada to the other? Does it get dramatically cheaper when eliminating the need to cross an international boarder?

Not so much...same price within the Nation, but if your on the other side of the country ..its a good 5 working days delivery time.

I see you have some leaves with the dark edges/veins, and lighter centers. I have that in a few places too. Thoughts?

I see you have some leaves with the dark edges/veins, and lighter centers. I have that in a few places too. Thoughts?

Just a lighter shade of green from new growth. If they were truely lacking Nitrogen they'd be yellowing out on the bottom as the plant would be translocating Nitrogen from bottom leaves to support the top of the plant.

Day 52, Day 17 from flip

The right side girls got their feed this AM. One gallon each of 6g Mega Crop, 5ml Cal-Mag, 5ml Faux-Tekt®, 10ml Terpinator. Back left will need when I get home from work in the AM.

Looking fantastic here. Steady as she goes....dont get bored !!

....dont get bored !!

Too late. Already thinking how I'd be cropping out in another couple weeks if these were autos. Instead there just starting to bloom. I get bored too easy which is why I like the faster pace of autos. Really can't do much in the way of additional LST because I'm out if room. Other than water and occasionally and raise the light, what's left to do?

Too late. Already thinking how I'd be cropping out in another couple weeks if these were autos. Instead there just starting to bloom. I get bored too easy which is why I like the faster pace of autos. Really can't do much in the way of additional LST because I'm out if room. Other than water and occasionally and raise the light, what's left to do?
Smell, smoke, and stare.

Other than water and occasionally and raise the light, what's left to do?

You could chelate a little coffee with some baileys. Nice beverage for the cold and all. :D

You could chelate a little coffee with some baileys. Nice beverage for the cold and all. :D

I'm not a coffee fan. The only way I drink it is chelated. Right now I'm chelating some Crown Royal Black with some ice cubes.

I'm not a coffee fan. The only way I drink it is chelated. Right now I'm chelating some Crown Royal Black with some ice cubes.

Not a bad plan at all. :D

I like a 50/50 mix of the salted caramel and apple crown. It's like a carmel apple, and surprisingly good. I'm not usually a fan of things like that, but damn if it ain't tasty.

Day 53, 18 from flip

Back left was real dry by the time I got to feed her. Her bottom fans were starting to droop. I took her to the tub for a heavy watering. Gave her a gallon of plain tap, then 2 gallons of 6g Mega, 5ml Cal-Mag, 5ml Faux-Tekt®, and 10ml Terpinator. Expected more runoff than I got. Probably could have run 2 gallons of tap at her first. Wanted to rinse the medium a bit since I hadn't watered to the point of runoff for a while. Maybe next time.

After sitting a couple days, I had a chance to see if there was any precipitate in the Faux-Tekt®. There was a real fine dusting in the bottom of the jar, nothing major. I shook it and drew it's serving from the jar. I figure 140g in 32oz of water is right at the saturation point. I don't think that amount of water could hold anymore silica.

My silica mix is 189.3 grams in a half gallon and I get precipitates on the lid like a mofo, so mine is roughly .6 the strength as yours, so I know you are right at the point where it can't take in more.

Back
Top Bottom