has anybody tried this with a older plant

zierf

i have 3 plants that are about 2' tall. they were given to me from a friend of a friend kinda thing. when i got them one of them had a deficiency problem i can't seem to fix it. i don't know what he feed them and how often so i decided to leach the pots and start from scratch on feeding them. now my problem is the one still has the deficiency i think it is Mg. def. and now all of them are showing signs of a N. deficiency

that is not all of the problem the soil he used is way to dense to me. it has been over a week since the last feeding and the soil is still wet even the top soil.i am use to using a soil less mix and this stuff he uses is almost like a mud when wet( i know that can not be good)

so here is my question i have to transplant to larger pots anyways and i know that what i am planing might shock the hell out of the plants. you don't think i will kill them if when translating i clean of as much of the roots as i can to transplant to a soil less mix( my soil less mix i like to use is 40% vermiculite 40% perlite 20% soil) so that way i have to water about every 2 to 3 days and still have a light and airy mediom. and i can water more with feed to help the def.

I have done this before but the plant was a way smaller plant(a 2 1/2 week old clone came to me in soil) and i COMPLETLY cleand off the roots of all soil before to put it into a DWC bubbler bucket but these plants is much bigger and i know i won't have to completly get the roots clean but just a very large portion of the mud type soil

does anybody else have any other different ideas for me on some thing else to try? any help or advise would be nice

you should check the pH of your nutes, soil, and runoff. also the ppm or EC. as long as you are mixing them correctly lockout shouldnt occur. you can get a 20$ meter or just use test strips for an estimate

what color are the leafs and stems?
any curling or yellowing/browning?
are the roots a nice white color or nasty brown?

the fact that your soil is staying wet for a week also tells me the roots are damaged or plant is in shock and at a stand still. my largest pots dry out every 3 days and the plant takes up 2 square feet and is bout 2 ft tall

start givin that thing some water til you know whats up or a very dilute solution

as for cleaning it off and putting it in the bucket i think that will work... you can probably run it for a day and then dump out the soil that comes loose

you should check the pH of your nutes, soil, and runoff. also the ppm or EC. as long as you are mixing them correctly lockout shouldnt occur. you can get a 20$ meter or just use test strips for an estimate

what color are the leafs and stems?
any curling or yellowing/browning?
are the roots a nice white color or nasty brown?

the fact that your soil is staying wet for a week also tells me the roots are damaged or plant is in shock and at a stand still. my largest pots dry out every 3 days and the plant takes up 2 square feet and is bout 2 ft tall

start givin that thing some water til you know whats up or a very dilute solution

as for cleaning it off and putting it in the bucket i think that will work... you can probably run it for a day and then dump out the soil that comes loose

i do check the ph and ppm of the nutes before i feed and i also use RO water when i got the 3 plants the one had the Mg. def when i got them and the N. def on all 3 didn't show up till after i leached the pots. for nutes i use cal-max dutch master gold range( a 2 parter) and some hygrozime( sorry if mis spelled) i kept the ppm low at about 600 for the first feed after the leach but it takes so long for the soil to dry out that is my biggest problem
i know the guy i got the plants from has been growing for years and uses 2 1000W hps. i have never gotten the chance to talk to him. but i can't belive the soil he uses is so dense. like i said when it is wet it is almost like a mud

i havent checked the ph of the soil or run off. i can check the run off. but have no meter for the ph of the soil. will have to get one

the stems look good some of the stems on the larger fan leaves is a little red in color. but the branch and main stems look normal here is a pic of what i think is the Mg def.

plant223.jpg

but after the leach all of the plants are having the newest formed leaves turning a bit yellow starting out at the base of the leaves and working there way out to the tips

i am hopping by getting rid of some of the soil that they are in and putting them into a soil less mix it will let the roots breathe a bit and let the soil dry out better so i can get some more nutes in to fix the def.

they dont look bad at all... i think you are right about it being the soil. it was kind of strange but some of my ladies are 3 weeks into flower and 2 of them started to yellow, i have been keeping my ppm low because i was worried about burning them but i actually needed to raise it and dump on some extra grow nutes, they are now darkening back up. im not saying you have the same problem but they might want more once you get some looser soil :)

they dont look bad at all... i think you are right about it being the soil. it was kind of strange but some of my ladies are 3 weeks into flower and 2 of them started to yellow, i have been keeping my ppm low because i was worried about burning them but i actually needed to raise it and dump on some extra grow nutes, they are now darkening back up. im not saying you have the same problem but they might want more once you get some looser soil :)

ya i was going to raise up the ppm about 200 with every feed till i started to see some burn then back off the nute just a little till no burn. But i do know just a little tip burn is ok that won't harm them as long as it is just the very tip that burns

ya that is what i have read as well, as long as they are healthy i dont like to see any tip curling or burn but to fix the problem i say go for it

Back
Top Bottom