Heavy Metal Contamination

xeb

420 Member
Are there any real risks of heavy metal contaminations from using stainless steel parts in a hydroponic system that are supposed to be corrosion resistant? What about brass? What metals should we avoid entirely (other than lead of course)? I'm trying to use all plastic parts, but some parts are hard to find in plastic.

Shut off valves, drains, strainers. I want to use a 4 port shut off valve manifold. I also want to use small sink drains. I can find plastic parts online, but I'm trying to source as many of the parts from local hardware stores as I can.

I'm just really curious and cautious about using metal parts where recycled nutrient water is going to flow through.

Well, I'm no expert, but most tap water passes through metal pipes at some point. So there is that to consider, but any amounts would be in the trace category I'd presume.

I'd still holdout on seeing what other members say

Good stainless is pretty bombproof especially for the light demands you’d be subjecting it to. I’ve seen 40 year old stainless parts on rusted out shipwrecks laying in the saltwater, looking as perfect as new.

I’d be a more worried about contamination from fresh plastic. Also pay attention to soldered connections if using metal.

Good stainless is pretty bombproof especially for the light demands you’d be subjecting it to. I’ve seen 40 year old stainless parts on rusted out shipwrecks laying in the saltwater, looking as perfect as new.

I’d be a more worried about contamination from fresh plastic. Also pay attention to soldered connections if using metal.
Stainless steel has been the industry standard for years. Does not corrode or leach. You can’t go wrong with any part made from it. Plastic does leach chemicals depending on molecular makeup.
Soldered joints in copper generally use silver solder which is also fine.
Unless you have a lead tank none of these things will effect you personally.
It is more likely any non organic feed you use will build up in your buds. The best way to combat that is to burn them before consumption. Hehe.

Back
Top Bottom