Hello there! New medical marijuana grower here needs input please

PurpleHaze22

So i have been doing a lot of research to say the least over the past few months and as of right now i have a 3'x3'x5'8" gorilla shorty tent. The two major questions i keep bouncing around in my head are this..

1. Deciding between a Mars Hydro II 900 led vs the 1200. i was leaning toward the 900 but some people seem to think that is lacking and that the 1200 would be the better choice. Please do not try and convince me of other companies for LED or HID lighting. Any input on people who have grown with these lights or in this space would be super appreciated.

2. I am growing with a 10 pack of candyland seeds from Grand Daddy Purp genetics and after i weed out the males do you think 4 3 gallon smart pots would be too big with a scrog? or should i go with 4 2 gallon smart pots?

reallyhope i can get some input from y'all. I am super super excite about my first grow!

:thanks::Namaste:

Hey Purple, have you thought of a 600w hid?:rofl: only kidding...in my opinion I would go with the bigger light unless funds are a concern. Those LED aren't hot so the more the better, just imagine all that light bouncing off the sides of the tent...I can already see those frosty bud sites loving it! :grinjoint:

Sorry i don't use led myself as i am mainly a cfl for veg & hps for flowering.

The only real comment i would like to make is...

I use to use regular seed stock in the beginning a bit hit 'n' miss on female to male ratios & how long it takes to sex em... scrog you need to train your plants during the veg period into the screen etc before flowering - you want to think about that !

But highly suggest feminized seeds as it saves time / resources & ya just get on with growing with method used.

I don't know whether you met that you did not want to consider other manufacturers or even other lights from Mars Hydro but I use the Mars Hydro Reflector Series. You might take a peak at them as the 192X5 would be more that adequate for your space, and even the 96X5 would be close. I have both of them and am happy with my decision. (I believe the reflectors are a little less money too.)

It is hard for me to imagine 4 plants in that size of a space but I probably let mine veg longer than necessary. I have 2 inside a 3.5' x 4' area and it is very crowded but they are in 5 gallon smart pots with the MarsHydro 196X5 shining down on them. Like anything else, they are cute when their little but they can grow up to be monsters.

I know it's hard to hold back when starting out but to much of a good thing definitely has it's drawbacks.

Best of luck!:thumb:

I realize i should have got feminized seeds already even before starting to grow, but these seeds were kinda pricey and i have been wanting to grow them for a while. Sadly they are not offered in feminized. but after the first run i will be running something that is feminized. Someone mentioned 2 gallon smart pots instead of the 3 gallons, so maybe i will go with those instead of the 3 gallons smart pots once i have the females picked out , hopefully there are 4 females. And yeah i forgot about the whole vegging into the scrog. maybe hold off on the scrog till second grow with feminized, just top and super crop lst these ones for the first one. A scrog might be to intimidating for the first grow as well i was thinking. Thank you for all the input everyone, oh yeah i decided on the Mars 900 after posting in the Mars Hydro Led forum and hearing a lot of different opinions. Word on the street is te 900 should kill it in my sized tent ^.^ and i will be ordering it later tonight. The excitement is real! :Namaste: :high-five: :thanks:

I just ordered the Mars Hydro II 900! I am gonna just veg 7 in 2 gallon smart pots and top often to keep them short and bushy, hopefully i get a good ratio of females. If there are not too many females might just go to bigger pots for flower, what do ya think? :volcano-smiley: cheers! ^.^

Honestly!

Go BIG or go home :high-five:

plants always take a few days to recover after transplanting but
good idea to see how many females u get 1st then go bigger pots

Honestly!

Go BIG or go home :high-five:

plants always take a few days to recover after transplanting but
good idea to see how many females u get 1st then go bigger pots

Do you think that 7 2 gallon smart pots is too crowded for my 3x3 space? the pots are 8" wide i was gonna go 2 in the back and 3 middle 2 front

My own tent is 90cm by 90cm by 180cm these pic's are just 4 plants veg & a late flowering pic included, this strain wasn't very bushy but got damn right tall.

PICT000167.JPG
PICT00437.JPG

Some others...

PICT000648.JPG
PICT000151.JPG
PICT000147.JPG
004929.JPG
003954.JPG

Just 4 plants & some of those where well rammed/packed that is just plants grown from seed with out any training !

Ye you could squeeze in more buts it is going to tight as... if you need to move em about in flowering it could damaging for the side branches etc

I use 6.5 liter air pots that is around 1.5 gallon on a rough conversion & that is tiny to most peoples standards but the real proof is in the pic's :thumb:

Individual pic's on what came out of a little tent.

PICT001721.JPG
PICT000155.JPG
PICT000266.JPG
009722.JPG
003982.JPG

Nice looking ladies! I plan on only flowering 4 tops. I am going with 7 cause they are non feminized. And i will be topping and training a lot and might even flower right before sex and remove males when they show, it won't be too bad i don't think. But i know what you were thinking, i agree there is no way 7 could flower in a small space like ours :volcano-smiley: cheers mate!

FWIW, I have five plants in 7 gal. pots. More soil is more better. My space is 33"x33". No SCRoG / still working on my training abilities. And YES, it is very crowded. IMO, HPS FTW.

This is at the flip:
Labeled1.jpg

Nice looking ladies! I plan on only flowering 4 tops. I am going with 7 cause they are non feminized. And i will be topping and training a lot and might even flower right before sex and remove males when they show, it won't be too bad i don't think. But i know what you were thinking, i agree there is no way 7 could flower in a small space like ours :volcano-smiley: cheers mate!

Well it normally takes several weeks for pre flowers to show in veg & that final size of plant at end veg may double to triple in size depending on dominate genetics etc... just a little extra to think about !

How ever topping in my own experience can reduce stretch controlling height & early flowering stretch, but is best done to all branches in my own opinion & that suitable regrowth of a few inches or more should be allowed before flowering for better results... it may drag out veg time by a couple of weeks but can potential double the yield.

You may like the idea of keeping an active journal for others to follow & assist upon in your growing skills :thumb:

Ye those pic's i've posted , well lets just say that was 400w hps... i could do better !

Back
Top Bottom